PDA

View Full Version : Be my guest, Akershus in Norway Dine with the princesses, etc...

nutsnbolts
01-21-2016, 03:34 PM
Can someone help break these down.

From my understanding...

1. Breakfast with the Princesses at Akershus is a good one for seeing the princesses.
2. Dinner at be my guest is a good dinner option.
3. Cape May is good to for breakfast with Disney Characters.

Is this the right idea? Or should I be doing lunch dinner or breakfast instead for the top 3 places?

Please let me know if there are others that I did not list which I'm sure. Those are the ones I stumbled on.

Strmchsr
01-21-2016, 05:14 PM
Well, there are a lot more character meals, but I think you've listed good ones. Keep in mind your first two can be extremely difficult to get reservations for (walk-ups not accepted) but not impossible. Just be ready to jump on them at the 180 day mark and if you don't get in then keep trying as cancellations happen all the time. I can't comment on the quality of the food at Akershus since I haven't done that meal but I know the princess fans seem to enjoy it. Be Our Guest is a very fun dinner meal if you can get in. Cape May isn't usually too hard to get and I really enjoyed that breakfast. Crystal Palace with Pooh and friends is a lot of fun, too.

mechanic
01-21-2016, 06:45 PM
At Christmas week last month , be our guest availability popped up every day for the following day, as folks cancelled their plans. I had a one 180 day res, but ended up there three times . 2 dinner and a lunch.

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-22-2016, 08:24 AM
These are good choices, but there are other good choices too!

What characters are you hoping to see? Which characters are your favourites?

For the princess, we love Akershus breakfast. The food is good and the princess interaction decent. It is popular, and should be booked as soon as possible, but I think you'll enjoy it.

Dinner at BOG is OK. We've had a GREAT meal there, and then two "OK" meals. The real draw is to see the inside of the Beast's Castle, which is just lovely. I'd go for lunch instead of dinner, unless you want to meet the Beast, since he only appears at dinner.

We also really enjoy dinner at Garden Grill. It is an all-you-can-eat meal, with the best character interaction we've ever had. This is a "must-do" for us each trip. You meet Mickey, Pluto, Chip & Dale.

As Chris mentioned, there is also the Winnie the Pooh (& Friends) meal at Crystal Palace in MK. If you're a Pooh fan, this is the only place you can meet Eeyore and Piglet.

My only other advice for character meals - avoid Chef Mickey's. I know a lot of people like it, but we had a horrible experience, food was rotten, characters rushed by ... there are other places to meet Mickey & Minnie. :)

nutsnbolts
01-22-2016, 09:51 AM
These are good choices, but there are other good choices too!

What characters are you hoping to see? Which characters are your favourites?

For the princess, we love Akershus breakfast. The food is good and the princess interaction decent. It is popular, and should be booked as soon as possible, but I think you'll enjoy it.

Dinner at BOG is OK. We've had a GREAT meal there, and then two "OK" meals. The real draw is to see the inside of the Beast's Castle, which is just lovely. I'd go for lunch instead of dinner, unless you want to meet the Beast, since he only appears at dinner.

We also really enjoy dinner at Garden Grill. It is an all-you-can-eat meal, with the best character interaction we've ever had. This is a "must-do" for us each trip. You meet Mickey, Pluto, Chip & Dale.

As Chris mentioned, there is also the Winnie the Pooh (& Friends) meal at Crystal Palace in MK. If you're a Pooh fan, this is the only place you can meet Eeyore and Piglet.

My only other advice for character meals - avoid Chef Mickey's. I know a lot of people like it, but we had a horrible experience, food was rotten, characters rushed by ... there are other places to meet Mickey & Minnie. :)

Thanks this is great advice. There are no specific characters to be honest. I do want to do princesses and Disney Characters to complete the experience. My kids are not really into Winnie the pooh and the be my guest is for experience.

Definitely will look into the others

AgentC
01-22-2016, 01:36 PM
I am going to agree with a lot of what Heather said. :)

I ,too, find Chef Mickey's overrated. It does give you Mickey, Minnie, Donald , Goofy & Pluto so if that group of characters is a must do and you want to eat there I would do breakfast but it would not be my first choice. I also prefer lunch at BOG to dinner but dinner does get you a meet with the Beast. I happen to love the Beast so that makes dinner worth it but for atmosphere lunch is great.

My favorite non princess character meals are:

-The Garden Grill. It feels intimate, the food is good and I've always had a good character experience there. Characters are usually Chip,Dale, Pluto & Mickey.

Tusker House at Animal Kingdom. I love this buffet toward the end of breakfast You get a choice of breakfast and lunch food if you time it right. The buffet has interesting items for the more adventurous but even my picky son can find something to eat. Characters are Donald, Daisy, Mickey and Goofy. Every now and then Minnie shows up but she has gotten rare there.

Ohana breakfast. Fun family style meal with Lilo, Stitch, Mickey & Pluto. Stitch is always lots of fun. And I can't complain about a never ending pile of Mickey waffles. Oh an pineapple bread. Yum. Yum.

Cape May is a decent meal with a pretty atmosphere. Characters are Minnie, Goofy & Donald so if Mickey is a must for you you might skip this one. If you are staying in the Epcot resort area it is a good choice because it is so easy.

Princesses meals- The only real options are Cinderella's Royal Table. I never do CRT because you have to prepay if you are not on dining and I never use the dining plan.

We have done Akershus several times and I really enjoy it. My favorite meal there tends to be lunch simply because I think it is the best value food wise but I do enjoy their breakfast. Another option is Cinderella's Happily Ever Dinner at the Grand Floridian. You only get Cinderella for a princess but you also get her princess along with her stepmother and step sisters. The villains really make this meal fun.

There is also a relatively new Minnie/Mickey dinner at Hollywood Studios. I havenot done it but Ihave heard good things about the character interaction.

nutsnbolts
01-22-2016, 01:49 PM
Cool more choices. I'll have to look into these then. Thanks for the additional input. I'll have to think about BOG for dinner or lunch but would love to see the beast as well.

Ironically I found time at 11:30pm at night. What the heck is that? Is that like beast hours? Joking...but yeah 11:30pm seems really late for dinner.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

EJS-Houston
01-22-2016, 03:55 PM
I can testify that the food at Akershus is really good. As a 56-year-old guy with no kids, the fact that I'm going to Akershus in March is testimony to that, given that I'd bypass the princesses if I could. But I can't, so I smile and play along and just tell them I don't want to keep them from spending more time with the legions of little girls waiting to get their time with them.

Tinkerbella16
02-22-2016, 06:15 AM
Yes, Yes and Yes!

We LOVE breakfast at Akershus. It is a great use of 1 dining credit. We did breakfast at CRT in November and I was wishing the entire time, that we were at Akershus. It was just awful and such a waste of 2 TS credits, and we would never ever pay OOP for a tiny plate of food, rushed service just to sit inside the castle. Akershus will be our number 1 choice from now on. The cold buffet is wonderful and the hot foods that are brought to the table are great. We never felt rushed, and loved the princesses. This is on the top of our ADR list when we make adrs in 2 weeks.

Be Our Guest dinner was one of our favorites of the trip in November. We prefer dinner over breakfast or lunch any day.

Cape May Café is one of our favorite character breakfasts in wdw. We have not been there in quite some time, but we are staying at the Beach Club this year, so breakfast there is a must!