PDA

View Full Version : Park security/ metal detecotors

waymickey
01-13-2016, 12:21 PM
I visited DW the last week or December first week of January and got to experience the new beefed up security at the parks. Security is visible and can be seen especially at the entrances but also throughout the parks and resorts. IDS are checked at all resort gates and magic bands scanned.

At the park entrance the new "random" draw to pass through the metal detectors for guests without bags is interesting. I was pulled at every single park and was also scanned with the wand after going through the detector at EPCOT. My family laughed each time I was "randomly" chosen as we park hopped. I am quite small, not even five feet tall under 100 pounds, and was wearing gym shorts without pockets and a T-shirt. I was carrying in plain sight a small red camera at each park. There really wasn't anywhere I could hide something without it being super obvious. Yet each park i went to i was selected. Meanwhile my DH is over 6 foot tall with cargo shorts that has a ton of pockets was not asked to go through. I never minded going through. It didn't take long or delay me really in any way. I just found it interesting that every park, and on different days, I was asked to go through.

#1donaldfan
01-13-2016, 01:08 PM
I was there too during that time and absolutely loved it. The added security did not bother me at all, in fact I hope they keep it ..... I feel more secure when they're openly doing what it takes to keep idiots at a distance, because what you can see be sure there's as much more going on that we do not see.

mechanic
01-13-2016, 03:16 PM
I'm hoping the employee entrance is being secured also.

DisneyGiant
01-14-2016, 01:21 PM

This is a very good point. Someone(s) who wants to make trouble can be hired in - and would be able to do some serious damage.

Though I still think its a rare possibility.

waymickey
01-14-2016, 01:24 PM
MY DD is a CM at AK and the Cast entrance is also being watched. Her bags are checked and IDS must be shown each time they enter.

WiltonJohn
01-15-2016, 05:51 PM
I visited DW the last week or December first week of January and got to experience the new beefed up security at the parks. Security is visible and can be seen especially at the entrances but also throughout the parks and resorts. IDS are checked at all resort gates and magic bands scanned.

................I was "randomly" chosen as we park hopped. I am quite small, not even five feet tall under 100 pounds, and was wearing gym shorts without pockets and a T-shirt. I was carrying in plain sight a small red camera at each park. There really wasn't anywhere I could hide something without it being super obvious. Yet each park i went to i was selected. Meanwhile my DH is over 6 foot tall with cargo shorts that has a ton of pockets was not asked to go through. I never minded going through. It didn't take long or delay me really in any way. I just found it interesting that every park, and on different days, I was asked to go through.

Could the have been any what is usually called "profiling" pointing to you versus your husband?

best,

..................john

mechanic
01-16-2016, 11:19 AM
Was there from 20 to 27 of December. My 27 yr. Old son was pulled 5 times, I was once, wife not at all. First couple of days the contract company employees looked stern or even hostile. Later in week they were much more polite, and smiling. (possibly went through some disney training)? The actual detecting was not airport style, no shoes or belts removed. But it serves it's purpose for the location. I set it off, but after a handheld scanner was passed around my midsection I was waved through with a smile. I think it does add to the safety in the parks.

KiNg4aDaY
01-18-2016, 10:52 AM

When I worked for the company in 2003, our bags were checked as we walked into work (and as we were leaving). As far as metal detectors we didn't have that then. I'm not sure about now, but it's not a bad idea.