PDA

View Full Version : Marathon weekend recaps

dnickels
01-11-2016, 05:27 PM
Just curious to hear everyone's recaps / thoughts / experiences from the 2016 Disney marathon weekend!

I finished my 6th consecutive Goofy Challenge in the handcycle division and had two friends come down and stay with me who also did the Goofy as runners for their first time. While it wasn't their first marathon, neither had been able to train much so I was a little worried about them. One employed the run-walk method and finished both races in decent times, the other walked nearly the entirety of both races and struggled but finished. I don't think they'd be signing up immediately for 2017 but at least one was already talking about doing it again in 2018 so that'd be great.

Characters / entertainment seemed about similar to last year as far as the number of them out and spaced along the course. There were a few extra segments added to account for the lack of speedway this year. I enjoyed riding along the speedway so I missed that but the extra segments through the MK and then a U-turn loop before Animal Kingdom weren't bad. I had to ride the first day with an older handcycle because I broke a shifter on my primary one the day before the races but the bike shop was able to get it fixed on Saturday and I was back out with my good handcycle for Sunday.

Overall another great weekend and experience and I'm sure I'll be signing up for 2017 as soon as registration opens this spring! :mickey:

Lacy
01-11-2016, 09:47 PM
Congrats! That is very impressive to have completed that challenge six years in a row let alone in the handcyle division. Thanks for sharing your experience as well as your friends. I really want to do the Marathon at some point but know that I have to put in the time to train for it or I'll be very sorry. So until I know I have the time to commit I'm sticking to the halfs.

I enjoyed seeing the pics of the weekend and still saw some fun costumes even with the new restrictions.

Disney4us2
01-12-2016, 05:53 AM
Congrats Dnickels!!!

This was my first 5k ever. Last year during the 10k cheerICOT, I saw an older lady using a rollator. I thought if she could do it, maybe I could. I stopped using my scooter and started walking.

Living locally I used Epcot as my training grounds. It took me a year to make it around World Showcase without stopping.

Race day! I was very excited and apprehensive about undertaking this "walk". I was in corral C, which I was gladly surpised. I thought I would be in the last corral. I started at the back of my corral so I could go at my pace. I did a great first mile in just over 18 minutes. After that I had to do several rest stops. I think I could have done it better if I wasn't just in the hospital with respiratory issues. I also did this with a broken wheel. Luckily it stayed put for the race, as sometimes it will just fall out.

I was hoping to take pictures with the characters, but the lines were too long. I was more focused on the finish line and not getting swept. I didn't need to worry about that as I finished in about 1:30:00. Not bad for walking it.

I finally saw the end in sight. As I was approaching the finish I saw our cheerICOT group in the stands. What a great feeling it was to see everyone there. Being that this was my first time, I had no idea what to expect. I got my medal then made my way to the medical tent. With my medical issues I needed a quiet place to get my heart rate down, use my inhaler and test blood sugar. I was low,but in the normal range. I had some juice and a protein bar so I wouldn't go into a low. Rested, I made my way to the exit. Got my food box, banana and water. I was done!!

My back was aching and my toes hurt. The feet were fine, just the toes....lol

I really worked hard to meet this goal and I did it!! I'm signed up for the Star Wars inaugural 5k. Now I know what to expect. Hopefully I will get corral C again.

I ended up taking pictures with characters at Epcot on Saturday....with my medal.

John
01-12-2016, 11:37 AM
We're going to see if we can get a podcast recap taped this week sometime. Look for it on the home page and in the podcast forum

Lizzy
01-12-2016, 03:04 PM
Congrats to everyone! Great job! It was so fun to see everyone!