PDA

View Full Version : Jungle navigation lunch last week

JanetMegan
01-05-2016, 09:13 AM
So we dined as walk ups for lunch at the new Skipper's Jungle Navigation restaurant in the MK on New Year's Day and I was a little disappointed.

The themeing in the main dining area is a little boring, the two small rooms are cute but have limited seating (the butterfly booth is stunning though.) Service was a little slow considering we were the first table sat for the day. I had the shu mi dumplings as a starter and they were ok but tasted very strongly of something I couldn't put my finger on, it might have been mung bean (which was listed as an ingredient.) Upon encouragement of our server I had the Mac and Cheese which was the "featured" item. It was just not good. I'm sorry. It tasted like sloppy joe meat with pasta on top with a thick pasty white sauce. I'm a really adventurous eater and love trying new things but this was just a miss. I actually watched two kids at another table spit out the kid's size portion. It came with some very bitter (and undercooked) broccolini.

My friend Lisa got the head on shrimp which was a VERY small plate for $25. It had 5 medium to small size shrimp, a little scoop of rice and the same icky broccolini. She also did have a white chocolate bar type of dessert which was the nicest looking (and tasting) of everything we had.

I just don't see this place being a hit without a re-vamp ASAP.

BrerGnat
01-05-2016, 09:51 AM
Thanks for your review. I have no desire to try this place with the current menu. And I have seen photos of the food and the portion sizes are tiny for the price. I am all for places serving "normal" portion sizes, but a $25 plate with 5 small shrimp? That's just robbery. Carthay Circle, a "signature" restaurant at DCA serves amazing high end food at those kinds of prices.

SBETigg
01-05-2016, 10:59 AM
Thanks for reporting. Your response is confirming what I had pictured once seeing pictures of the venue and menu, a little boring and not so good. I expected more from the theming, anyway. Bummer!

#1donaldfan
01-05-2016, 06:42 PM
OH MY !!! We were planning on eating dinner there on New Years day but our plans changed and we were lucky enough to get reservations at Cape May (which we've had several times) .... I'm very glad we did now as our meal was AWESOME and for the Skippers, although I wanted to try it so much, sounded terrible.

DebK
01-06-2016, 08:17 AM
I have to agree the menu isn't appealing to me....

i'm grumpy
01-06-2016, 11:24 AM
Nope, nothing. And the prices!! :0

CaptSmee
01-09-2016, 09:48 AM
As soon as I saw the menu I thought to myself they will be changing this rapidly

deedee73
01-09-2016, 12:23 PM
I was so very excited by the potential opening of this restaurant and I must say now that I have seen the menu unless it is a stop in for desserts - we're out nothingness the menu appeals to me & definitely nothing for my son.