PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed win Clothing Quality

MrPeetrie
12-29-2015, 09:21 PM
I'm only a few weeks removed from our Fall vacation and I'm noticing something: this year's T-shirts are not holding up. After not more than three or four washes, the T-shirts are losing their integrity, as well as their vibrancy. My Kilimanjaro Safari T-shirt, for example, purchased at Mombasa Marketplace in Animal Kingdom, is already distorted and flimsy. By contrast, my "Four Parks One World" T-shirt, purchased on a visit prior to my DD's birth, has more texture and feels better against my skin. My daughter is 12 years old and my "Four Parks One World" shirt is a MUST-WEAR on every Disney vacation. Clothing quality back then was enviable.

Now many may say, "It's only theme park merchandise. What did you expect? Why do you even care so much about theme park clothing?"

And if this was just another theme park, I'd agree. But not at Walt Disney World, where we've come to expect more. Shopping is (well, used to be) one of our major draws to return. Truthfully, we had a hard time finding clothing we really wanted to purchase.

Has anyone else notice this drop in quality? Do you think Disney even cares? I've been getting the feeling lately that it's just about the bottom line and the guest's experience is more of a nuisance than a priority.

On average, we spend about $400 per day on meals and shopping. When (if) we return, that amount will most definitely be curtailed. First, food quality dropped off. Now, the clothing has followed. What's next?

deedee73
12-29-2015, 11:23 PM
I noticed the same thing on our past visit as well as with visits to the Disney Store. Also the amount of available choices have diminished greatly.

BrerGnat
12-29-2015, 11:24 PM
It's the style nowadays to have thinner shirts with not much "structure." I actually like them like that. They tend to be more flattering on both men and women than the boxy, stiff shirts of the past.

Speedy1998
12-30-2015, 12:21 PM
It's the style nowadays to have thinner shirts with not much "structure." I actually like them like that. They tend to be more flattering on both men and women than the boxy, stiff shirts of the past.

I agree, I think it has more to do with what is popular with T-shirts than anything else. I have noticed the thinner t-shirts just about everywhere. Not just Disney.

MrPeetrie
12-30-2015, 01:58 PM

Fair point. I'm 55 so a tad "outdated" regarding style. It may be a trend decision, as opposed to a economic one.

VWL Mom
12-30-2015, 02:31 PM
It's a trend started by poor quality manufacturing. When people started to buy into it a "fashion" statement was born.

The slub is an incidental extra-fat lump in the cotton yarn. It used to be caused by poor control of the manufacturing process, and imperfections in the fibre cleaning process. The intention was to create a smooth, even yarn, but sometimes slubs made the yarn a little uneven.
So bottom line is they can sell what we used to call seconds and charge the same price. Sorry not a fan, would love to see some quality manufacturing come back to Disney. Maybe the return of made in USA pieces and embroidery rather than screen print.

BrerGnat
12-30-2015, 05:28 PM
I have quite a few older Disney t shirts with designs I love but I never wear them anymore because they just don't fit right. They are incredibly unflattering. My size hasn't changed. My personal idea of comfort and style has, though. I prefer the newer style of shirts now.

SurferStitch
12-31-2015, 09:00 AM
I have quite a few older Disney t shirts with designs I love but I never wear them anymore because they just don't fit right. They are incredibly unflattering. My size hasn't changed. My personal idea of comfort and style has, though. I prefer the newer style of shirts now.

I have to agree. I have several old tees (10 years +), but they are much heavier, boxier and just not flattering. The newer, lighter styles look much nicer and more current. I haven't had any issues with quality or integrity over the past few years. I'm also a laundry Nazi, and absolutely NONE of my shirts/hoodies or jeans/pants go in the dryer. Everything is hung or laid out to dry, and my 5-year-old WDW tops still look like the day I got them.

TheVBs
12-31-2015, 09:31 AM
I have noticed this as well. The new style of t-shirts, which I also prefer, not only for a more flattering fit, but for being more comfortable in the heat, is one thing. I understand that they're made to feel flimsier, for lack of a better word. But, I have a Mickey sweatshirt I bought in the 90's that still looks great. More recent clothing purchases have not held up as well. The newer merchandise seems to wear out quicker and the logos fade faster. As for it being "just a park t-shirt", I would disagree at those prices! You pay far more for a shirt in Disney than you likely would anywhere else. It's not unreasonable to expect the quality to be better.

tinkwest
12-31-2015, 12:05 PM
My DD was disappointed in the t-shirts purchased this past summer. Not necessarily with the material or cut of the shirts themselves but with the print. After only one wash the designs were very visibly faded making the shirts look old.

i'm grumpy
01-06-2016, 11:22 AM
I have some of those design your own shirts from the on line store. I find them too stiff to wear, but I don't like super thin or anything that looks like it's already worn out.

i'm grumpy
01-06-2016, 03:43 PM
I like the new limited edition Park Ts the on line store has been selling, but the Minnie ones run way too small. I don't even look at the every day women's Ts anymore.