PDA

View Full Version : Mickey's Halloween Party

Janmac
12-23-2015, 03:24 PM
While our extended family has never visited the World during the Halloween party time, we've talked about it extensively. What to wear, etc. Because, maybe, just possibly, we might be able to swing an October trip for one family member's birthday - one of those big milestone ones.

With the new security rules in place, we can't imagine why we would pay for a hard ticket event that we can not dress up for.

Jan

faline
12-23-2015, 04:01 PM
Many adults didn't dress for the event to begin with. I've gone in costume and without costume and have enjoyed it either way. With the way prices have increased, however, I may opt to skip it in the future.

Janmac
12-23-2015, 04:15 PM
Thanks, Linda. I fall in the category of never dressing up but several of the extended family adults dress up ALL the time and for ANY occasion. Especially Halloween. Work, bowling, etc., all reason for a costume especially at Halloween. One has dressed up for work nearly every day this month (helps to be employed at an elementary school).

Going to a Halloween party at the Magic Kingdom would be huge, mostly because of dressing up. So not being able to be in a costume would be a major reason for not spending the money.

The only reason to go would be to see Villains and that's an additional cost?

Jan

Main Street Jim
12-24-2015, 08:12 AM
Let me talk to some of my Cast Member friends (and some *are* Guest Service Managers), and I'll try and find out if the "costume rules" will apply at the Halloween parties. I can't see them disallowing costumes for *that*, but, I'll double-check for you guys. :)

Janmac
12-24-2015, 12:52 PM
Thanks! That'd be great.

Jan

Main Street Jim
12-27-2015, 05:09 PM
Let me talk to some of my Cast Member friends (and some *are* Guest Service Managers), and I'll try and find out if the "costume rules" will apply at the Halloween parties. I can't see them disallowing costumes for *that*, but, I'll double-check for you guys. :)So, I'm getting differing *opinions* from some of my GR/GSM friends. Some are saying "absolutely no costumes for guests age 14 and up", while others are saying "This will be 'relaxed' for the Halloween parties". No one has a definitive answer yet. I'm still working on it.

12-27-2015, 09:05 PM
Let me talk to some of my Cast Member friends (and some *are* Guest Service Managers), and I'll try and find out if the "costume rules" will apply at the Halloween parties. I can't see them disallowing costumes for *that*, but, I'll double-check for you guys. :)

This wasn't addressed "directly" in the latest Park Greeter training update (came out the same day as the new Security changes) and likely won't be until later in the winter or spring (in my opinion) pending further "review / followup" from Security.

Jim, as you are very much aware of, operational changes at WDW can happen in a short time frame, so stay tuned.

deedee73
12-27-2015, 09:27 PM
While I do want Disney to do whatever they feel necessary to keep us safe, I do believe costumes at a hard ticketed event should be allowed within reason (no full face masks, etc) rather than complete exclusion. I was really looking forward to doing a family costume when we go for the party.

SurferStitch
12-28-2015, 09:58 AM
I foresee a lot of inconsistent enforcement of the rules in the future, especially since there already has been in the past.

I remember reading over the years past that adults couldn't wear full masks/head coverings at MNSSHP, yet I have an adult friend who has done this 3 times now without incident (or so I've been told).

Also, with all of the "Disney bounding" that goes on, especially for girls/women, it's going to be quite difficult to differentiate between a true full costume, and regular clothes. Go with me here....

I want to go to MNSSHP as Tinkerbell (have done so twice now). Now, I've worn a "costume" in the past, which was nothing more than a dress I got at a bridal shop that I modified, shoes that I bought online and painted and added poofs to, a wig (that is meant for normal adult wear, not cheap costume quality) and wings. Now, the wings could be tamed down a lot, but it's still just a dress, shoes and wig. I could even skip the wig, which I did the first time I wore the outfit years ago.

Now, what if I always wore wigs? What if I had chemo, lost my hair and wanted to wear fun wigs to WDW to try to boost my spirits (I know someone who has done this)? What if I Disney bounded by getting a simpler strapless green dress at a department store, wore my shoes and still looked Tinkerbell-ish, but was just wearing normal clothes? You could have CM's that consider it a costume, and others who don't. All depends on the CM and their attitude.

What if I just want to wear Minnie ears, a black top and a red/white polka dot skirt? That's something I've seen plenty of women wear at MNSSHP and on regular park days... is that considered a costume?

This could get quite messy unless Disney comes right out and says that anyone over 14 can't wear anything that resembles any character other than clothing that you can purchase in WDW or other Disney retailers (like tees, sweats, jackets, etc.).

Main Street Jim
12-28-2015, 08:13 PM
Here is one of the responses I got:

Me - "Just out of curiosity - besides a "security policy" - any idea(s) *WHY* they (Disney) would no longer allow "adult" costumes at the Parties? Isn't that kind of the whole point of the Halloween Parties?"

My GSM friend - "Anyone over 14 can no longer wear costumes period, including the Halloween parties! Sure, it has to do with Security and Safety. Im sure it will take some getting used to, as adults love going dressed up to those parties. But, they have already gotten used to the metal detectors. People would rather feel safe and thats what matters in my opinion."

And another response I got was:

"(As of right now) The rule will be relaxed for the Halloween parties. That is, of course, subject to change."

So, who knows... :/

k10
01-04-2016, 04:22 PM
i dressed up for the MNSSHP in 2014. it was a blast. and i am definitely over the age of 14!!! i really enjoyed myself.

i find it disappointing that there is a new rule put in place, but i understand why it would happen.

there are ways to compromise. cute halloween mickey ears or hats. maybe a halloween inspired graphic t-shirt, glow necklaces or glow in the dark socks.