PDA

View Full Version : Trying new things....

TheVBs
12-18-2015, 08:02 AM
I am notorious for saying that I'm going to try something new/sign up for a class and either procrastinating so much that I never start, or starting and not sticking with it.

So I recently decided to pick something I've been wanting to try and actually DO it. Because our oldest has been riding for years, taking riding lessons seemed like an easy (but not inexpensive - which is another excuse I use, I don't want to spend the money on me) choice.

I had my 2nd lesson this past Monday and I actually got to canter! I couldn't steer and canter at the same time, so there I am, flying right through the center of the arena, yelling to everyone "I'm not steering!!" as if they couldn't tell. LOL!

Oh, and a horse named Fuzzy tried to kill me. Twice.

cer
12-18-2015, 03:32 PM
Go YOU! That is awesome.

It does take courage to do something new.

Don't trust Fuzzy. :horse:

TheVBs
12-20-2015, 09:34 AM
LOL! Thanks so much! I am usually such a chicken. Trying hard to get past that.

I'm keeping a close eye on Fuzzy.

Cinderelley
01-10-2016, 07:25 PM
Fuzzy Wuzzy Was a Bear

That is the problem with Fuzzy. He's a bear - not a horse.

deedee73
01-10-2016, 09:09 PM
Stick with it...riding will come to you. It is a beautiful & very relaxing hobby albeit an expensive one.

TheVBs
01-16-2016, 02:54 PM
Thanks! No more Fuzzy incidents, I'm glad to report.

I am really enjoying it and so glad I got brave enough to start. I've actually been "upgraded" to a different horse! I started out on the senior citizen, which I loved because he wasn't going to do anything quickly. I'm now riding a younger horse and have even gotten to canter for a few seconds and do some jumps - even some jumps at the trot! I really expected not to be good at this, so this is a really great bonus.

It's definitely expensive, but so far I've been lucky to get some hand me downs and I'm able to share my daughter's helmet and breeches. There will be a big 4H tack/riding gear sale next month and I'm hoping to score some good deals there!

BriarRose0708
01-29-2016, 09:15 AM
This is so cool! Horses are so beautiful and I've been on one a couple times trail riding but I don't really know what I'm doing and too chicken to try anything. Thanks for inspiring us with sharing your goals!

SBETigg
01-29-2016, 04:02 PM
Susanne, applause to you for trying new things! We tend to get stuck in our comfort zone and it's a good idea to branch out now and then. Very cool for you.

I would love to hear more about your incidents with Fuzzy. Sounds like something I could use in a book. :)

VWL Mom
01-29-2016, 04:20 PM
I give you a lot of credit for trying something new but had to laugh at your account of it. Fuzzy sounds like a handful!!

TheVBs
02-23-2016, 02:29 PM
Thanks you guys! It has really been quite an experience. My first couple of lessons were on Sebastian who is 30+ years old and completely unflappable. He also doesn't do anything quickly, which worked for me just fine. I was VERY surprised when she started letting me try different horses. I've now lessoned on five different horses, have cantered WHILE ALSO steering, and have practiced jumping. I graduated to jumping the cross rails this week! The horse I rode this week is named Shiloh. She's basically the race car in the lesson horse garage. Either my teacher has a lot of confidence in me, or she has taken out some kind of insurance policy on me.

Sherri - Fuzzy stories! He is quite a character. Full name, My Fuzzy Valentine, 9 years old. For a few lessons, it was just me because Fuzzy spooked when his owner's cell phone rang. She fell off and was too bruised to ride for awhile. I wish I could post a picture here because he is a beautiful horse! We call him the Fabio of horses because he has this big, blond mane that he's constantly tossing around. And, I swear to you, when he passes the mirrors at the far end of the arena, he slows down and checks out his reflection.

When he pitched Terry off, our trainer, Kelsey, went to grab him. He knew he was in trouble so he ran from her. I was thankfully on a very calm horse named Nebraska. At one point Fuzzy ran straight at us and screeched to a halt right in front of Nebraska's face. If Nebs could talk, he would have said "Dude. You are waaayy too close to me." The last couple lessons have been Fuzzy-incident free. (knock wood)

Like I said earlier, I wanted to do this because I am so notorious for not following through on things. But, also, I've been very aware that a couple of our older relatives have really lost a lot of their mobility. I don't want to regret not trying something. And, I cannot believe how much I'm loving this!! If I could afford it, I would do 2 lessons a week. If I have to miss a lesson, I'm genuinely bummed.