PDA

View Full Version : Man Caught & Arrested With Gun Outside Magic Kingdom

baldburke
12-14-2015, 01:06 PM
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-andrew-gerson-arrested-gun-disney-20151212-story.html

It is unfortunately just a sign of the times. Nice work by the WDW security team. Scary stuff! Let's keep WDW magical!

Goofy4TheWorld
12-14-2015, 01:19 PM
The linked article read:

A Miami man is accused of carrying a handgun outside Disney's Magic Kingdom last week, an incident that ended with a deputy chasing him with his service weapon drawn, records show.

Andrew Gerson, a 36-year-old attorney, faces a charge of illegally carrying a concealed firearm. His concealed-carry license expired a decade ago, on June 14, 2005, records show.

A security guard checking bags at an entrance to the Magic Kingdom on Dec. 4 noticed a strange bulge in Gerson's pants, records show.

She asked Gerson if there was anything in his pants. He didn't respond at first, then said it was his anatomy, records show.

As the security guard turned to ask a male co-worker to speak with Gerson, Gerson walked away from her. She called an Orange County deputy and said she worried he was trying to bring a gun into the park.

The deputy followed Gerson for about 100 yards. Gerson turned to make eye contact with the deputy, then pulled out his cellphone and started running away, records show.

The deputy pulled out his gun and chased Gerson, yelling at him to stop, records show.

Moments later, Gerson stopped. The deputy asked him if he had a gun, and he said that he did.

Gerson got on his knees, and the deputy arrested him and confiscated the gun. Gerson was given a trespass, which prohibits him from returning to Disney property.

Gerson was released Monday on a $2,500 bond. He did not return a call for comment.

Disney World regulations prohibit bringing weapons into the parks. In 2013, a visitor left his gun on a ride at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

Goofy4TheWorld
12-14-2015, 01:21 PM
I would be interested to know what this guy's win record is as an attorney, because he is either mentally off or is incredibly stupid.

FaithTrustPixieDust
12-14-2015, 02:12 PM
He isn't charged with carrying a concealed weapon 10 years after his permit expired??

1DisneyNut
12-14-2015, 03:38 PM
The only thing that surprises me about this is that he is an attorney and tried to run from the police. That wasn't very smart, especially considering the officer had his weapon drawn ordering him to stop. What kind of attorney would not take 10 minutes and go get a permit? lol Since he did not have a valid concealed carry permit, he was charged with illegally carrying a firearm.

As for having the gun on him.....it happens if you typically carry. You just don't think about it because it is like having your keys or wallet in your pocket. They probably would try to make a far bigger deal about it than it should be even if you have a concealed carry permit though. It isn't illegal, just against WDW policy. They can't enact their own firearm laws, just make business policies and ask you to leave for violating them. Just an FYI though, it isn't all that uncommon for people with valid concealed carry permits to carry inside WDW parks or any other private businesses even though they have a no weapons company policy. You can read any of the gun rights protection forums and websites and find threads/posts regarding rights to carry vs. private company policies.

Goofy4TheWorld
12-14-2015, 06:44 PM
As for having the gun on him.....it happens if you typically carry. You just don't think about it because it is like having your keys or wallet in your pocket. They probably would try to make a far bigger deal about it than it should be even if you have a concealed carry permit though.

This was exactly what popped into my mind, but I don't think we will have much company on that train of thought on here. :hide2:

If you ignore the lapsed permit (which is baffling) I could easily see someone totally forgetting they had it (or that it would get them in trouble) until it was too late, and then the immediate rush of "OH NO" adrenalin made him irrationally, but instinctively, run to avoid trouble. Thankfully a hundred yards or so he wised up and dropped to the ground.

I still hope he doesn't represent himself!