PDA

View Full Version : Lumberjack show is closing

azcavalier
11-24-2015, 10:39 AM
Yay! Apparently, today is the last time they will perform the show. They'll undoubtedly replace them with something else, though I have no idea what that might be. But i'm glad this show is done. No offense to those performing in it, but it was a poor replacement to something as unique as Off Kilter.

Tink1
11-24-2015, 11:22 AM
I hated the noise!

Nanc

Kerry823
11-24-2015, 11:35 AM
I agree. I was not a fan of the show. I liked Off Kilter and it had an upbeat presence. The logging show was dumbed down and walked by after the first time I saw it. Hopefully the replacement will be something upbeat and culturally postive for that pavilion instead of the dumbing down and belittling of people who actually are loggers by trade.

faline
11-24-2015, 11:39 AM
Well, that didn't last long - it arrived and ended since I last visited!

BrerGnat
11-24-2015, 12:18 PM
So, basically it got its contracted one year. No surprise. That show was terrible.

Strmchsr
11-24-2015, 01:04 PM
It definitely makes me happy to see that show go. I loved Off-Kilter but didn't mind something new if it was going to be good. The Lumberjacks weren't good at all. Very lame show. The good news for those traveling now through New Year's is the Holiday Voyagers will be back. That includes some of the Off-Kilter guys. I enjoyed them last year. No word on what the new show will be starting in January, though.

RunDMV
11-24-2015, 04:52 PM
I was recently in Gatlinburg TN and remarked it was like a low rent Disney. Then we passed a dinner show based on lumberjack battles. I then remarked, maybe it's the other way around.

BrerGnat
11-24-2015, 07:23 PM
I was recently in Gatlinburg TN and remarked it was like a low rent Disney. Then we passed a dinner show based on lumberjack battles. I then remarked, maybe it's the other way around.

Funny.

Jeff
11-25-2015, 06:06 AM
Bring back Off Kilter!

Terra
11-25-2015, 08:35 AM
I never did catch the show and we go at least once a month. Mainly because I'm just not a fan in general of shows. I'd rather have some kind of cultural experience. I really wasn't fan of Off-Kilter either. And the noise overload of the Lumberjacks would be too much for my ASD son.

I was curious though since they were contracted a year. Would it be because [it wasn't popular of course], they are also a show that travels to different entertainment venues for a time? And maybe they are heading somewhere else? I really didn't read up on much of it.

EeyoresBestFriend
11-25-2015, 11:33 AM
That's a relief!

I wonder if they will use this as an excuse to not have anything at all and just get rid of the bandstand - kinda like the showcase performers in Britain. :(

Let's hope that they don't replace it with something worse. Thank goodness that Anna and Elsa don't come from Canada! Oh no ~ Olaf may have relatives here . . . :D

Gator
11-25-2015, 12:25 PM
This is the kind of news that gets me to come back and post after being off for months. We haven't been to WDW since Dec 2012. One of the reasons is Epcot losing all the good talent it used to have. Maybe with the Lumberjacks gone, they can bring in/bring back something great.

And while they're at it, dump the Paul McKenna Band. While they do a good job at playing celtic folk music, it just seems like mood music that they could pipe through the speaker system. Bring back the World Showcase Players - you know, back when a UK act could attract a crowd....

Isabella
11-25-2015, 01:29 PM
Shhhhhh! Hear that? It's the sound of silence! The noise was so loud and carried all around the showcase, Now we can hear the background music setting the atmosphere instead of feeling like I'm at home while someone does yard work that never ends!
Really though, Off Kilter needs to come back!

mrte62
11-25-2015, 03:40 PM
Just thought I would share my post from October 6, 2014:

Saw the new Lumberjack show this morning. Stood near some of the suits. Just horrible. Once is too much. Just had a nice conversation with 2 CMs from Canada. Word is the suits cannot believe the reaction to the new show and the passion they are hearing about Off Kilter.

I am just the messenger.

TheVBs
11-25-2015, 03:40 PM
Can't say this is too surprising. We tried watching twice and it was dismal both times. We only rarely stopped to listen to Off Kilter, but at least we enjoyed it when we did!

I wasn't too impressed with the new act in Italy either, the clown that rides the gondola. It was cute and funny, but hardly a replacement for the World Showcase Players.

Altair
11-25-2015, 06:03 PM
I wasn't too impressed with the new act in Italy either, the clown that rides the gondola. It was cute and funny, but hardly a replacement for the World Showcase Players.
Sergio has been there for years, he is not new.

Polynesian Dweller
11-25-2015, 07:13 PM
And while they're at it, dump the Paul McKenna Band. While they do a good job at playing celtic folk music, it just seems like mood music that they could pipe through the speaker system.

Already gone. Apparently Saturday was Paul McKenna Band's last day.

And don't bring back Off Kilter. Epcot should keep changing acts. Just bring in something different that better represents Canada than the Lumberjacks and more authentic than Off Kilter. If they can bring in a street band from Morocco they can find someone from next door a Canada.

BrerGnat
11-25-2015, 09:04 PM
There is already a new vocal group performing at the U.K. pavilion. Seems to be just singing, no band.

Terra
11-25-2015, 09:15 PM

I have never even noticed him! I usually just pass right by Italy unless we are eating there. I hate to say it but there is nothing there that is exciting to me. I wish they had at least a movie with scenery from Italy.

Speaking of though, I do remember the old "statues" from years ago! Those were kind of cool.

RunDMV
11-26-2015, 05:57 AM
As for me, when the Beatles cover group (for the life of me, I can't remember their name) was axed, it was the beginning of the end. It boggles my mind that in order to save a miniscule amount of money in the big scheme of things, they took away so much enjoyment.

TheVBs
11-26-2015, 09:32 AM

Didn't know that! We had never seen him before, so with all the changes in entertainment, we assumed he was new.

The Beatles cover band was really good!

BrerGnat
11-26-2015, 11:08 AM
As for me, when the Beatles cover group (for the life of me, I can't remember their name) was axed, it was the beginning of the end. It boggles my mind that in order to save a miniscule amount of money in the big scheme of things, they took away so much enjoyment.

I completely agree with this.

AndrewJackson
11-29-2015, 09:09 PM
I saw a great show at the Dollywood Festival of Nations. The name of the show was Timber!, and it featured an acrobatic group from Quebec Canada. The singing, dancing, and acrobats were excellent. It was themed around a logger camp. It had a Cirque du Soleil feel to it as well. I would love for Disney to bring this group in for some shows.

Patricia
11-29-2015, 09:34 PM
That would be Cirque Alfonse. Timber! and Barbu (their other show) are booked for the next year in other places, but that would be cool to have them booked in WDW at some point. Something from Canada would be ideal.

MNNHFLTX
11-30-2015, 10:08 AM
And while they're at it, dump the Paul McKenna Band. While they do a good job at playing celtic folk music, it just seems like mood music that they could pipe through the speaker system. Bring back the World Showcase Players - you know, back when a UK act could attract a crowd....I am actually a fan of the Paul McKenna band and enjoyed one of their shows when I was there in October. There's something to be said, IMO, about having real music (or other talent) from the region that is represented in each pavilion, not spectacles or caricatures of stereotypes from that country. In any case, they were not dumped but never intended to play any longer than their one-year contract, as they are a touring band.

Mendelson
11-30-2015, 10:27 AM
Perfect replacement - some CM standing there boiling down a massive vat of sap into maple syrup. It's a zero on the noise meter and they could have a cart nearby selling Mickey waffles using the "locally processed" syrup. They could even work a Tier 2 Fastpass into this somehow. One solution solving so many problems.

You're welcome.