PDA

View Full Version : Port Orleans French Quarter

Kerry823
11-23-2015, 07:26 PM
After more than twenty years of wanting to stay at POFQ, we have booked it for March 2016! We have stayed at all the values, Caribbean beach several times as it was our "Go to" moderate and the Grand Floridian once. Looking for all the tips on staying here. We took the boat over in October from Disney Springs and walked around the resort. I have booked a garden view room. Thanks in advance!

faline
11-23-2015, 07:36 PM
Don't have any specific tips but can we say we gretly enjoyed this resort!!

CanadianWDWFan
11-23-2015, 07:53 PM
It is our favourite Moderate resort. Love how you can walk from one end of the resort to the other in less than 5 minutes. I do like that there is only one bus stop as well. Like you mentioned, the boat to Disney Springs (I still think Downtown Disney!) is one of the gems of this resort. Plus, since POR is a sister resort you can use any of the amenities there as well.

Kerry823
11-23-2015, 08:31 PM
Is there a boat from POFQ to Old Key West? I noticed a sign along the waterway when we took the boat

CanadianWDWFan
11-23-2015, 08:48 PM
Is there a boat from POFQ to Old Key West? I noticed a sign along the waterway when we took the boat
Not direct from POFQ, you will go by it though. To get to OKW you will have to change boats at Disney Springs.

EeyoresBestFriend
11-25-2015, 12:01 PM
We love the quiet, relaxed feel of the place. We've stayed at a few other places and still come back to FQ as our favourite. Love the hearing the (piped) crickets at night :cloud9:

The boats to DS are great and Riverside is only 10 minutes down a beautiful walk beside the river. Horse and carriage rides on the paths are cool, too. If you like some lively action, spend an evening with Bob at the Riverside lounge; fabulous entertainer!

Buildings 4 & 5 have the bonus of a shortcut path from the bus stops to them as well.

Enjoy!

Isabella
11-25-2015, 04:54 PM
One word...........
Beignets
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/5f/14/60/5f1460117ec4851c12f93ab9144f7d80.jpg

ibelieveindisneymagic
11-26-2015, 09:38 AM
How did you get Mickey shaped ones? Our have always been just square blobs of super yummy deep fried dough! I've been missing out!

BrerGnat
11-26-2015, 11:07 AM
How did you get Mickey shaped ones? Our have always been just square blobs of super yummy deep fried dough! I've been missing out!

Disneyland has Mickey Shaped ones that they sell in New Orleans square. This looks like a stock photo of those.

ibelieveindisneymagic
11-26-2015, 05:36 PM
Cool! Yet another reason to head out to Disneyland!

mandaep
11-27-2015, 08:35 PM
I would love to see any other tips. We stayed in 2009 and the #1 reason I booked this resort was because of the laid back factor. I knew the resort would be small and manageable which is going to come in handy with two kids. We stayed at CBR with our son when he was 14 months and even stayed in Aruba and I thought it was a hike.

I'm looking forward to exploring the grounds and parks with the kids, and the boat ride to disney springs.

Isabella
11-28-2015, 05:05 PM
Yes, this is a stock photo but just as yummy!

merciantinkerbell
11-29-2015, 01:11 PM
Not sure if they do it at other resorts but the evening campfire to toast marshmallows and its free!! Being from the UK, first time we've ever done this, but don't set it on fire like I did :oops: The movies on the lawn are good too.

joonyer
11-29-2015, 09:37 PM
We stayed at POFQ for the first time last year Christmas week. We Loved it! the cozy, small layout, the excellent bus service and the food court. Very nice, we'll be back there soon for sure!

#1donaldfan
12-01-2015, 01:30 PM
We love the FQ and Riverside. They both have a deluxe feel with a moderate price. Specifically for the French Quarter, I like the laid-back, quiet feel it gives. I like to run and the course along the river is perfect. The food courts at both are incredible.

EJS-Houston
12-02-2015, 12:30 PM
I'm going in March as well and am staying at Port Orleans Riverside (my first time at a moderate resort)...so I appreciate all the encouraging words. SO looking forward to this!

i'm grumpy
12-04-2015, 10:43 PM
Not sure if they do it at other resorts but the evening campfire to toast marshmallows and its free!! Being from the UK, first time we've ever done this, but don't set it on fire like I did :oops: The movies on the lawn are good too.

I've never seen this at a resort. Burnt marshmallows are my favorite. I haven't roasted one in 20 years. I'd love to visit the Riverside.

Patricia
12-05-2015, 02:43 AM
I've never seen this at a resort. Burnt marshmallows are my favorite. I haven't roasted one in 20 years. I'd love to visit the Riverside.

For a list of all the WDW resorts that have campfires see here. (https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/campfires/)

luvkatiebug
12-10-2015, 09:52 AM
We absolutely loved this resort this summer! Our main reason to pick it was for the small size. We visit Disney in the summer when it is crazy crowded and having a small resort where the buses wouldn't be a major challenge was key. The beignets are another great bonus!

And they did have the marshmallows and movies at night.

pbdennis
12-15-2015, 07:30 AM
POFQ is one of our favorite Moderate Resorts. The size is perfect and it is so easy to get around. Even if you are staying at one of the buildings on the outer edge, you are no farther than 5 minutes from the main lobby and food court. I would pick a garden view room rather than a pool view due to noise. While the River view is nice, it isn't worth it to me since they don't have balconies. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Susan A
12-15-2015, 12:06 PM
I have a question. We are staying there next month.

What kind of groceries are available in the gift shop? We usually eat breakfast in our room and like to have snacks on hand.

Thank you!