PDA

View Full Version : quick service with type 1 diabetes

Tinkerkel
11-02-2015, 07:56 PM
Hi :mickey: My DD17 was recently diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes & we have a trip coming up in December. We are excited to have the free quick service dining this time around, however, we are learning that nutritional information is easier to obtain from mcdonalds than from Disney :confused: I would love to know if there are any resources for carb counting at counter service locations on Disney property. I would also love any & all tips for touring with Type 1 diabetes. Thanks so much!

Kelly

Tink1
11-02-2015, 08:35 PM
I do not remember seeing a sheet with carb counts, just the peanut/nut, gluten, soy free ones. But that does not mean it doesn't exist!

Contact the Special Diets dept at [email protected]

Nanc

magicofdisney
11-03-2015, 07:11 AM
Could you let us know if they provide you with this information. I'd like to have it just for general knowledge. :mickey:

Tinkerkel
11-03-2015, 08:30 AM
I contacted the special diets team a few weeks ago. Here is their response:

Thank you for contacting the Special Diets Team at the Walt Disney World
Resort.

Regrettably, we do not have, and are therefore unable to provide you
with accurate or reliable nutritional information. We can however,
attempt to suggest some menu solutions that may satisfy your request.
Please know that most restaurants offer no sugar added, low fat, low
sodium, vegetarian or vegan options. Advance arrangements are not
necessary for Guests with these dietary requests. We recommend Guests
discuss this with their server upon arrival at the restaurant.

We strive to provide all our Guests a magical experience by offering a
wide array of dining locations, experiences and menu options. We trust
that among all these options, there are menu items that meet your
request

TheDuckRocks
11-03-2015, 08:46 AM
I have sent you a Private Message with some info that might be of help.
The other thing to do is to check out the menus on the official Disney website, at least you can get an idea of where would be the best options to eat.
Once again Disney not being willing to give more accurate nutritional information is one of my pet peeves. If chain restaurants are required by law to do this it is beyond me why Disney, who serves millions of meals a year, doesn't have to comply.

goofy-4-disney
11-06-2015, 04:51 PM
I was diagnosed with Type 1 roughly 24 years ago and have been to WDW several times since being diagnosed. Obviously the treatment of Type 1 has changed greatly over the past 24 years. Since I don't know how your daughter is treating her diabetes (pump, shots, types of insulin) I wont' comment on that. Two things I will state though is that all of the walking you do at WDW will lower her blood sugar, not immediately but during the nighttime hours. Also, eat a snack between meals as this will help her maintain a good blood sugar level. Checking blood sugars is also very important, but even more so with how active you are at WDW. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.