PDA

View Full Version : Questions on knee bands and blisters

NewDVCowner
10-26-2015, 11:55 AM
So I'm working on training for my first full marathon. I'm hoping some more experienced runners on this board can help me. I have two questions. Firstly, regarding knee bands. I'm surprised how much these help my knees when I'm running, however I find that the 'O' ring that the Velcro part goes through has a tendency to twist after a while and the pressure isn't distributed right and they no longer are helpful. Does anyone have any recommendations for brands that hold up a bit better/longer?

My second question is regarding blisters. It seems that when I do a run longer than 20 miles I end up with pretty horrible blisters. I'm using two socks and my shoes fit well(a half size larger than I normally wear) and I don't have problems with them for runs less than 20 miles. Before I was running with double socks I've used mole skin on places that got hot spots but found that the mole skin eventually would unstick and then it was just floating around in my sock. The blisters are forming mostly on the ball of my foot near my big toe. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to avoid these blisters?

Thanks so much!

BrerGnat
10-26-2015, 12:27 PM
Have you tried that body glide stuff? You can put that on your feet in areas where you tend to get blisters. Supposedly it helps. There is a specific kind for feet, I think, that comes in what looks like a deodorant stick type container.

brownie
10-26-2015, 08:37 PM
Body glide is great and can really help, though I've never used it on my feet. I'd look to the socks (avoid cotton!) you're wearing and your shoes. Have you tried using the heel lock on your shoes to help stabilize them more? Search for the Illumiseen heel lock video on YouTube to see how to use the heel lock.

Donald
10-26-2015, 09:37 PM
Try using sports tape for the knee band (or in place of knee band)

cer
10-27-2015, 10:51 AM
Body glide is great and can really help, though I've never used it on my feet. I'd look to the socks (avoid cotton!) you're wearing and your shoes. Have you tried using the heel lock on your shoes to help stabilize them more? Search for the Illumiseen heel lock video on YouTube to see how to use the heel lock.

I've used body glide on my toes to prevent blisters. Another product I have used to prevent blisters is Flexitol Heel Balm, you can get it in the foot care section in Walmart or Walgreens. I have also found it at my local grocery store (H.E.B.)

I also would recommend looking into the sock situation. Once I upgraded to an appropriate running sock, that was a game-changer for me. Personally, I wear Feetures brand (I think they are the Light cushioned Elite model). SockGeek is an excellent online source - they have a huge selection of many brands. If you have a running store in your area, that would be a good place to go and talk with them about what is going on, they will also have recommendations. Once you settle on a sock, I would look for it at SockGeek for a price comparison. I think shipping is free.

Good luck!

NewDVCowner
10-27-2015, 01:10 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try the body glide on my feet on my next long run.

BrerGnat
10-27-2015, 04:06 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try the body glide on my feet on my next long run.

You might want to ditch the double sock idea too. Look for a pair of moisture wicking running socks that are padded in the forefoot area. They are expensive but totally worth it!

NewDVCowner
10-27-2015, 04:48 PM
You might want to ditch the double sock idea too. Look for a pair of moisture wicking running socks that are padded in the forefoot area. They are expensive but totally worth it!

I've actually been running with moisture wicking running socks and they are still giving me problems with the longer mileage. When I ran with just single socks (again, the moisture wicking running socks) I'd end up with blisters after about seven miles.

brownie
10-27-2015, 06:12 PM
You might want to talk with someone at a running store or try a New Balance Good Form Running clinic (should be free). They might be able to help you identify the cause and correct it.

BrerGnat
10-27-2015, 10:23 PM
Have you tried different brands of socks?

What about bringing a pair of socks and changing into new ones halfway through your long runs?