PDA

View Full Version : Changes at Kali River Rapids

WDWdriver
10-12-2015, 08:47 AM
The on-board storage compartments have been removed from the Kali river rafts. You may still take backpacks, cameras, bags, etc on the ride, but everything you take is subject to getting wet, or even soaked. As before, you must wear shoes at all times. Ponchos are fine, but are not provided for the ride. You can purchase ponchos at the gift shops, but it is much cheaper to bring your own.

Guests are encouraged to use the lockers near the ride entrance, which have been available for more than a year. The lockers are free for up to two hours.

baldburke
10-12-2015, 11:56 AM
Huh? What's the logic there? Did it turn out that they weren't quite watertight anyway?

DisneyGiant
10-12-2015, 01:34 PM
Maybe it took people too long to get their stuff in and out of? This is an annoying development.......

brad192
10-12-2015, 01:38 PM
My guess is they did a study on how much time is used by people trying to store everything in those relatively small on-board compartments before sitting down & strapping in. That, and the obvious complaint factor from people who couldn't store their stuff and had it get wet. (Duh! It's a WATER RIDE!). :confused:

Seems like a win-win for Disney. The ride per-hour throughput goes up, and there isn't any more basis for complaints about having your stuff get wet. Makes sense to me. :)

WDWdriver
10-12-2015, 02:18 PM
Seems like a win-win for Disney. The ride per-hour throughput goes up.....

Yes, this is the reason. There are now far fewer delays in loading guests while they try to cram backpacks, large purses, etc into the compartments. And there is no longer any reason to remove and try to store shoes, which has always been a problem. The CMs can now move more guests faster, which of course reduces the wait times.

Now if our guests could just learn how to put on a seat belt.......:confused:

Pally
10-12-2015, 03:08 PM
It is probably for the best. I have been on the ride and have had other passengers at the last minute whip something out or off and try to stuff it in and not take the time to close it properly and things have gotten wet. It will be a little inconvenient but I don't really mind. Those with electronics won't have damage done unless they don't follow the rules. Also, for some reason I am always the one who gets soaked to the bone. I have yet to figure out where the lucky seat is. Unless you like to get soaked to the bone and consider that the lucky seat.

Stu29573
10-12-2015, 03:40 PM
It seemed that it was always pretty full of water anyway, lol! No biggie!

azcavalier
10-20-2015, 12:04 PM
Honestly, I never knew about the free lockers! I'm totally cool with that.

MarkC
10-21-2015, 11:44 AM
Here is a tip. We take a couple of big garbage bags with us. Turn them upside down and punch out a couple of arm holes. Then we stay mostly dry but don't have to drag a poncho around with us. After the ride is over we hand it to someone else in line or throw them away.

DNS
10-21-2015, 12:45 PM
Here is a tip. We take a couple of big garbage bags with us. Turn them upside down and punch out a couple of arm holes. Then we stay mostly dry but don't have to drag a poncho around with us. After the ride is over we hand it to someone else in line or throw them away.

What a great idea! We have never been on this ride because of not wanting to get soaked. I think this is exactly what we will do for our Christmas trip.

Thanks!

GeorgeOfTheJungle
10-22-2015, 03:36 PM
It doesn't bother me. Since there are free lockers outside, that's much more convenient.

MNNHFLTX
10-22-2015, 05:45 PM
I would much rather deal with the free lockers than try to store my belongings on board the raft. And if people don't want their shoes to get (as) wet, they can just prop them up on the bar above the floor of the raft (that will still be there, right?) That at least helps the slosh factor!

texas211
10-22-2015, 08:06 PM
I liked on the onboard storage and hate dealing with lockers and such. Oh well, progress I guess. The ride isn't our favorite, and at our least favorite park, so I guess we won't be too affected. However, I'd hate to see this trend grow to turn into Universal where you can't ride anything without going to a locker.

brad192
10-22-2015, 08:32 PM
Here is a tip. We take a couple of big garbage bags with us. Turn them upside down and punch out a couple of arm holes....

Only armholes? (Just kidding). I have a visual of all of you riding the ride with your heads fully covered & only your arms flailing about.:joy: Kinda hysterical! :rotfl: