PDA

View Full Version : Celebrity Chef Art Smith Announces New Disney Springs Restaurant for Summer 2016

Figment!
10-11-2015, 05:40 PM
Disney and Chef Art Smith have announced details for one of several new waterfront restaurants planned for the "The Springs" neighborhood of Disney Springs.

New Restaurant for Celebrity Chef Art Smith Coming to Disney Springs in Summer 2016

by Pam Brandon, Disney Parks Food Writer
The Official Disney Parks Blog
October 9th, 2015

With farm-to-fork cuisine, Homecoming: Florida Kitchen and Southern Shine, Chef Art Smith’s new restaurant concept, opens in Summer 2016 at Disney Springs at Walt Disney World Resort.

You might remember Chef Smith from his years as Oprah’s chef, or for his appearances in “Iron Chef America,” “Top Chef” and “Top Chef Masters.” The James Beard Foundation award winner was born and reared in the town of Jasper, Fla., on the Florida-Georgia border, where his family still raises cattle, pecans and heirloom vegetables. And after 25 years of preparing award-winning meals for celebrities and heads of state and appearing on television, he is making Florida his home once again.

The Homecoming menu will feature Southern favorites like homemade pimento cheese, Church Lady deviled eggs, low country shrimp and grits, kale salad with Sweet Grass Dairy cheese and spiced pecans and a grilled Blackstrap pork chop with sawmill gravy. “Each dish has a little Florida twist and make guests feel like they’re on the back porch with me for every meal,” says Smith. Desserts will be a specialty, with cakes, pies and delectable sweets made daily and shipped from a bakery in Hamilton County, including the restaurant’s signature Mockingbird Cake.

The “rustic-chic” restaurant has a glass-walled show kitchen and the Southern Shine bar, featuring whimsical cocktails, punches and coolers that celebrate an era where characters might have created some homegrown spirits on their homesteads just beyond the springs.

By the way, Chef Smith attended Florida State University and did a culinary internship with the Walt Disney World College Program. Welcome home, Chef!

magicofdisney
10-11-2015, 08:19 PM
I've lived in the same Florida town my entire life. I'm curious as to the "Florida twist" in each of those dishes.