PDA

View Full Version : DVC ? on points usage/different properties

missymouseworld
10-09-2015, 07:50 PM
If you own points at more than one property, how would it work?

For example: 100 points at Beach Club/March and 50 points at Boardwalk/October. If we wanted to make a reservation at Beach Club at 11 months out, we can only use our Beach Club points there at 11 months....we couldn't use our points from Boardwalk there, only at the 7 month mark if there is availability?

I am sorry if this doesn't make sense, but I am confused as to using points for different resorts.

faline
10-09-2015, 08:11 PM
I think you've got it right and this is why we were told that use year is very important especially when you own at more than one resort.

missymouseworld
10-09-2015, 08:18 PM
Ok....great and thanks for confirming....

How about if you own at two different resorts with the same use year?
100 BC and 50 BW for March? You couldn't book 150 points at BC @ 11 months, only the 100 and hope to get the additional 50 used there at the 7 month mark?

VWL Mom
10-09-2015, 09:32 PM
How about if you own at two different resorts with the same use year?
100 BC and 50 BW for March? You couldn't book 150 points at BC @ 11 months, only the 100 and hope to get the additional 50 used there at the 7 month mark?

That's correct

missymouseworld
10-09-2015, 10:15 PM
Ok...thanks so much. Makes sense now. :thumbsup:

chefmickey3
10-10-2015, 07:40 AM
We own at 3 different resorts. We bank and borrow to put together the points for BLT at 11 months. So, every other year we do a week at BLT. We do the same for AKL. We have never had a problem getting a reservation that we want at 7 months. We normally travel in the summer and stay for about two weeks. The new inventory at Poly and GFV has helped at the other resorts.

missymouseworld
10-10-2015, 08:26 AM
That's great to know. Thanks.

John
10-13-2015, 07:44 PM
My head is spinning ;) though I do get the concept of banking an borrowing and how it would be more important if you owned at multiple resorts

missymouseworld
10-14-2015, 06:25 AM
I know, right? It is like learning FP+ rules, etc.

ThanxForNoticin
10-14-2015, 12:17 PM
I know, right? It is like learning FP+ rules, etc.

Have to tell you, I think the DVC points are much simpler than FP+ and ADRs!! I think you need a PhD in Disney for some of the reservations at the parks!

Not sure if it's any easier, but in general:

- All your points (regardless of contract) can be used 7 months out.
- Home resort points can be used 11 months out for the resort on the contract. At that point, it's like the only contract you have is the one for that resort - whether the points are banked, live, or borrowed.

That being said, the complexity goes up significantly if you try to do different use years..... We have points at 3 different resorts, all with the same use-year. I would not want to introduce different use-years into the mix!

Aurora
10-14-2015, 07:17 PM
Have to tell you, I think the DVC points are much simpler than FP+ and ADRs!! I think you need a PhD in Disney for some of the reservations at the parks!

Not sure if it's any easier, but in general:

- All your points (regardless of contract) can be used 7 months out.
- Home resort points can be used 11 months out for the resort on the contract. At that point, it's like the only contract you have is the one for that resort - whether the points are banked, live, or borrowed.

That being said, the complexity goes up significantly if you try to do different use years..... We have points at 3 different resorts, all with the same use-year. I would not want to introduce different use-years into the mix!

All this is exactly why I talked my parents out of buying points at the Poly. They probably will buy more points someday, but it didn't make sense for them to spend the money at the Poly because they never make ressies longer than 7 months out (more like 3 or 4).

When they do add on, they'll have to get the same use year. A different use year would just be a nightmare for them.