PDA

View Full Version : Skippers Canteen

#1donaldfan
10-08-2015, 04:10 PM
I do not know if this has been discussed, but does anyone have an idea of when they will open their doors ?? All I can see is that it's late '15. Thanks !!!:thumbsup:

VWL Mom
10-08-2015, 05:11 PM
I've been watching in a lot of spots and haven't seen anything yet. Hoping to have dinner there for our January trip.

#1donaldfan
10-08-2015, 08:01 PM
I've been watching in a lot of spots and haven't seen anything yet. Hoping to have dinner there for our January trip.

I've been watching too and hope to eat there in December....:mickey:

VWL Mom
10-12-2015, 07:46 PM
Not sure how true this is but I've read there was a problem with the changes in wiring and the opening is being delayed from November to December. Haven't seen anything officially stating that though.

RBrooksC
10-13-2015, 09:22 AM
Is it true what I am hearing that this is going to be an Asian Cuisine restaurant??? God, I hope they have other stuff on the menu, too. I would like to experience this.

VWL Mom
11-08-2015, 01:16 PM
Latest rumblings are a December 10 opening with a soft opening during the week before. I'm still stalking the dining website for January but nothing yet.

#1donaldfan
11-09-2015, 03:14 PM
Thanks !! We will be there at the end of December and since the Jungle Cruise is my all time favorite ride, it's fitting to eat where the Skippers do !! haha !!

VWL Mom
11-21-2015, 09:48 AM
Has anyone heard any updates?

Stu29573
12-01-2015, 02:44 PM
I kind of though they would announce something today, with it being the 1st...but, no..

Patricia
12-02-2015, 12:28 AM
The sign is visible!

Still being predicted that it will open in December.

Stu29573
12-02-2015, 09:05 AM
Well, we'll be there from the 15th thru the 22nd...so still hoping!

CaptSmee
12-02-2015, 11:08 AM
I find it odd that there is no news regarding this opening as well & it sounds like the crowds ar e already starting to swell missing a major cash grab for WDW. I also read that the menu will be more "exotic" than the usual burger fries routine

cuteduck223
12-03-2015, 11:40 PM
today the orlando sentinel ran an article saying they were doing a cast member preview this sunday, with soft openings to follow--potential earliest opening Dec 13, latest Dec 20!!

Stu29573
12-04-2015, 08:43 AM
Yea!!! 'm monitoring My Disney Experience for ADR's!

tjstrike
12-04-2015, 12:25 PM
Is there an official menu for this yet ?

Patricia
12-05-2015, 03:45 AM
Cast member preview is confirmed for Dec 6th. Soft opening to follow. WDW Dining should have it on their reservations list by Dec 18th, but I'd check as early as next Monday or Tuesday.

There are some saying this will be counter service for lunch, even though it was first reported to be table service all day.. but I don't see that confirmed and I doubt it's counter service. I can't find anything about the menu except the chef has said Asian fusion, African a bit like Boma. Take this however you'd like, but a sommelier (Victoria Thompson) is listed on the staff. See the picture below, I took that screenshot right from the WDW website. Victoria was previously listed as area manager and sommelier at Jiko.

This restaurants themed dining areas sound great. For instance, there will be a Crew Mess Hall and even better, a secret meeting room of the "Society of Explorers and Adventurers". Kongaloosh!

Fangorn
12-06-2015, 09:59 PM
We will be there starting on Wednesday (9th). Hoping to take advantage of a soft opening sometime during our stay.

Steve

VWL Mom
12-13-2015, 12:28 PM
Walls are down and they're taking walk ups today!! The DCL twitter blog (theDCLblog) is posting photos and menus, also they accept TIW!

i'm grumpy
12-13-2015, 05:24 PM
$25 for lunch? :eek: I'm not even sure what some of this stuff is. :funny:

BrerGnat
12-13-2015, 05:28 PM
I saw the menu and honestly think it is pretty bad. There are only a couple things I'd order but they are SUPER overpriced to the point where I would have a hard time justifying it. I know Disney is expensive, but this is like Signature Dining level pricing for what seems to be kind of ordinary dishes, from a cooking standpoint. A basic grilled steak served with Yucca (the cheapest carb in Latin America) and avocado slices is $34!!! Please. $23 for a bowl of Pho???

Pass.

Figment!
12-13-2015, 10:26 PM
Walls are down and they're taking walk ups today!! Also they accept TIW! Yep, General Public Previews (soft opening) started today.

Official Grand Opening is schedule for December 16, 2015.

Here's an overview of the planned opening day menu:

Appetizers

Amazon Annie’s House-made Arepas $9.50
Baladi Salad $9
Broiled Collar of Sustainable Fish $11
Falls Family Falafel $8
Ginger (not the crocodile) Grog of Hot and Sour Soup $7.50
S.E.A. Shu Mai $10

Entrees

A Lot of Steak Salad $18
Char Shiu Pork $23
Curried Vegetable Crew Stew $17
Dr. Falls’ Signature Grilled Steak $23
North African Berber Style Grilled Lamb Chops $25
"Not Piranha” Sustainable Fish (Market price)
Rice Noodle & Chicken Bowl $22
Rice Noodle & Duck Breast Bowl $23
Rice Noodle & Tofu Bowl $20
Skip’s Egyptian Mac and Cheese $19
"Tastes Like Chicken Because It Is!” Marinated Grilled Chicken Breast $23
Trader Sam’s Head-On Shrimp $25

Desserts

Bertha’s Banh Bong Lan Cake with Mango Lime Sorbet $8
Coconut Bar with Pineapple-Basil Compote and Vanilla Cream $8
Kungaloosh! Chocolate Cake with Caramelized Banana and Cashew-Caramel Ice Cream $8
Sugar-crusted Congee Pudding $8

Specialty Beverages

Punch Line Punch $4.50
Punch Line Punch in souvenir mug $13.50
Schweitzer Slush $5.50
Schweitzer Slush in souvenir mug $14.50

Exotic Coca-Cola Selections

Fanta Melon Frosty from Thailand
Guarana Kuat from Brazil

Kids Menu

Appetizers a la carte

Serengeti Salad $2.50
Safari Egg Drop Soup $2.50

Mickey Check Meals
Served with choice of beverage and Seasonal Fruit Dessert

Tik Tiki Fishy Fishy Grilled Sustainable Fish $11.50
Sizzling Savanna Grilled Flank Steak $12.50
Smiley's Little 'Croc of Chicken Noddle Soup $10.50

Your Choice Meals

-Junior Skip's Egyptian Mac and Cheese $9.50
Served with Choice of Beverage and Dessert

-Amazon Annie's House-made Arepas $10.50
Served with Choice of Beverage and Dessert

Beverages

Lowfat Milk, Water, or Apple Juice

Desserts

Volcano Chocolate Cake with Caramel Lava and Exploding Chocolate Rocks
Monkey Bites (Chocolate Sunflower Seeds and Chocolate Dipped Banana Bites)
Fresh Seasonal Fruit

The location's backstory proprietor is the granddaughter of Dr. Albert Falls (Alberta Falls) and offers three themed dining rooms: The Mess Hall, The Falls Family parlor, and the S.E.A. Room. For those unfamiliar, S.E.A. is the Society of Explorers and Adventurers and is a back story that ties together several attractions located in Tokyo DisneySea and Hong Kong Disneyland; it is more or less an extension of the Adventurer's Club.

The dining rooms are ornately decorated and tell the back story of Alberta Falls inheriting the ailing Jungle Navigation Company and converting it from a cargo company to a leisure cruise for "greenhorn globetrotters". Due to the success of this new jungle cruise business, she has decided to start serving hungry travelers out of their home office utilizing the crew's mess hall, her family's private parlor, and a recently discovered secret meeting room her grandfather used to hold meetings for the S.E.A.

In addition to the puns and word play sprinkled throughout the menu, the crew suggest you make sure you read the full menu from front to back to make sure you don't miss one final punch line.

The new restaurant is expected to be walk-up only until the first week of January 2016.

VWL Mom
12-14-2015, 06:03 AM
I'm wondering why they hired a sommelier if they don't have wine? I was expecting a BOG set-up where wine was available at dinner.

BrerGnat
12-14-2015, 09:59 AM
I'm wondering why they hired a sommelier if they don't have wine? I was expecting a BOG set-up where wine was available at dinner.

It is bizarre. This place seems a natural for some alcoholic drinks. The non alcoholic drinks served in copper mule cups is weird too.

Hammer
12-14-2015, 10:16 AM

It is bizarre. This place seems a natural for some alcoholic drinks. The non alcoholic drinks served in copper mule cups is weird too.

Could it be that maybe there is a delay in the liquor license for the restaurant? It would be easy to adjust the menu to add alcoholic beverages.

Agree with everyone that the prices are too high. You can get Duck Ramen at Morimoto Asia for $7 less in Disney Springs!

taleasoldastime
12-14-2015, 11:55 AM
It has a very interesting menu. There is a lot of really adventurous things, which I am always excited for. I like weird food. But I am interested to see if the end up having to adjust it because I have a feeling that a lot of people are going to be turned off by the more uncommon ingredients. I was considering trying this on my next trip, but I don't think that there is anything on there that I could get some of the people in my group to eat. We will have to pass on this one, and I will have to try it on a future trip when I don't have as many pallets to take into consideration.

Kerry823
12-15-2015, 07:31 PM
I was excited for this to open but now that I have seen the menu know I won't be dining there. The menu has nothing my family will eat. Very disappointed but I am sure that others might enjoy it.

faline
12-16-2015, 11:20 AM
There was a soft opening yesterday and we were told grand opening would be today. Also told they will not accept tables in wonderland. Had lunch there yesterday. It is pricey. Food is on the spices side. Had the shrimp which are served with heads on. Husband had Mac n chili. Service was good. Place is cute. No alcoholic beverages on menu we had.

VWL Mom
12-16-2015, 12:00 PM
Also told they will not accept tables in wonderland.

That's strange because they were accepting it on Dec 13th when people reported using it.

faline
12-16-2015, 12:14 PM
That's strange because they were accepting it on Dec 13th when people reported using it.

They aaccepted during the soft opening but we were told that would not be true once they officially opened - unless our server provided us with misinformation

#1donaldfan
12-16-2015, 02:07 PM
Yeah, it is pricy and most items are not that appealing, but it's a bucket list thing and I LOVE the Jungle Cruise, so I feel compelled to try it.

PirateLover
12-18-2015, 12:12 PM
We happened to be there for the grand opening. We really enjoyed it. I don't find the pricing to be that far off from other in-park sit downs. I have become a more adventurous eater in recent years but there are still a lot of things I don't like. I enjoyed all of the food we ordered. We had the Falls Family Falafel, DH had Skip's Mac n cheese, I had the lamb chops, and sister in law had the shrimp. Love the atmosphere and decor. Really annoyed that they sold out of the souvenir mugs in the soft open.

PirateLover
12-18-2015, 12:15 PM
Also the standard line they've been giving is "walk up only now and forever." Who knows if it will change but it was nice. Everyone I know who was at the park and wanted to eat there got in. They are also using a text system (we saw this at the Califorbia grill as well) so you can go anywhere you'd like while waiting for your table and then come back to the podium when you get your text.

BrerGnat
12-18-2015, 03:55 PM
Also the standard line they've been giving is "walk up only now and forever." Who knows if it will change but it was nice. Everyone I know who was at the park and wanted to eat there got in. They are also using a text system (we saw this at the Califorbia grill as well) so you can go anywhere you'd like while waiting for your table and then come back to the podium when you get your text.

It's about time Disney joined the rest of the Restaurant industry. I hope this becomes the norm at ALL restaurants from now on. The ADR system is nuts!

dsmichelle29
12-18-2015, 09:58 PM
We ate here today and really enjoyed it.

Pros
1. I really enjoyed getting a sit down meal in MK on a whim.

2. I also liked that the menu has some options that you don't see everywhere. My salad had a spicy Asian dressing which was fab and DH's pork had a Chinese BBQ sauce which had a hint of Chinese 5 spice. Delish!

3. I thought the prices were reasonable considering other WDW sit down meals.

4. The atmosphere was fun. The wait staff (skippers) tell cheesy jokes and it definitely mimics the Jungle Cruise feel. They also had some recorded noises coming from the back like a skipper using an elephant to spray dishes.

Cons:
1. Need some familiar kid options. My 8 yr old loved that he had some of the same options as the adult menu, but my 5 yr old and my 2 yr old were not impressed. Several kid options came with Chinese broccoli- the long spears without the florets. I'm all for encouraging kids to try new things, but sometimes you just want something you know your kid will eat.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

PirateLover
12-19-2015, 12:30 AM
It's about time Disney joined the rest of the Restaurant industry. I hope this becomes the norm at ALL restaurants from now on. The ADR system is nuts!

Agreed. A lot of the smaller restaurants and even some of the chain ones around here are walk up only or "call ahead" seating, meaning if you plan to eat in 30-60 mins they'll hold a table but don't call 8am to make a dinner reservation. You wouldn't have this nonsense with being charged if you don't show up and trying to prevent people from double booking.

PirateLover
12-19-2015, 12:36 AM
Cons:
1. Need some familiar kid options. My 8 yr old loved that he had some of the same options as the adult menu, but my 5 yr old and my 2 yr old were not impressed. Several kid options came with Chinese broccoli- the long spears without the florets. I'm all for encouraging kids to try new things, but sometimes you just want something you know your kid will eat.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I hear that, as a former picky eater. I remember being 9 at the Hoopty do revue and not wanting anything to eat there. They scrounged me up a pizza from somewhere. That was over 20 years ago so I have no clue if they still go out of their way to accommodate, but. With Liberty tree right there it shouldn't be too hard to offer some more familiar options for kids. So what if it doesn't fit the theme.

Hammer
12-19-2015, 06:35 PM

Agreed. A lot of the smaller restaurants and even some of the chain ones around here are walk up only or "call ahead" seating, meaning if you plan to eat in 30-60 mins they'll hold a table but don't call 8am to make a dinner reservation. You wouldn't have this nonsense with being charged if you don't show up and trying to prevent people from double booking.

While I like if they would do this for some restaurants, I would not want it to be strictly walk up for signature restaurants or character meals. For character meals, the wait times would be awful. We rarely eat at character meals now, no way would we want to go if we are having to wait around longer than 15 minutes. Also, many signature type restaurants in large cities take very limited walk ups. An example is my sister and I went to lunch at the Sea Grill (Patina Restaurant Group) in NYC earlier this month. Our reservation was for 11:00 when the restaurant opened. We saw every group turned away when asked if they could eat there for lunch without a reservation. Fortunately in NYC, you do not lack for dining options :) !

I do wish they would shorten the ADR window back to 90 days ago. 180 days is too much!

Patricia
12-20-2015, 09:44 AM
I think the menu looks great! Those are all foods I'd eat and I can't wait to try it.

TheVBs
12-20-2015, 09:58 AM
We won't be back until 2017, but I'm already looking forward to trying this!

VWL Mom
12-20-2015, 10:13 AM
Just noticed on the Disney site where they list all the restaurant, Jungle Skipper Canteen Restaurant says Dining Plans NOT accepted.

Lindsey
01-11-2016, 04:53 PM
I am so happy to see some Asian food options in MK! :cloud9: I'll be there in 2 weeks with my niece and am really excited to eat there! Hooray for tofu! :D