PDA

View Full Version : Tipping at WDW Restaurants

Goes4FastPass
09-30-2015, 02:52 PM
Whether you call it a tip or a gratuity or paying for service, I like doing it. I’ve long since decided if I can’t afford to tip I can’t afford to eat out.

As the leader of a 6 person family using the DDP, I understand the TS restaurant will calc the gratuity and place that amount on my room account. Swell, fine, convenient and I don’t care if my Disney resort puts a jillion dollar hold on my CC.

My question is, do people tip on top of the service charge that is calc’ed and added automatically? What is normal?

A built in service charge is a tricky thing. In Germany, it is customary to round the amount up slightly, less than a dollar, as “bier gelt” – beer money and tipping more than that doesn’t mean you’re a generous big shot, it means you’re a rube who doesn’t understand you’ve already paid for service.

And please don’t tell me to give our server something like a pamphlet or a picture of Mickey that one our kids drew. I assume my server is working to pay the light bill, not to meet vacationers.

Sylvia
09-30-2015, 03:32 PM
I agree with you.

I always leave a 20% (occasionally more) tip when dining out, whether at home or travelling.

I use the TIW card in WDW, so an 18% gratuity is automatically added to the bill. I always add a bit more when paying the bill, to insure that the server receives at least 20%.

wilcat
09-30-2015, 03:54 PM
While there were only two of us this past trip every server we had was fantastic and we felt deserved large tips. Most of the meals we left between 25-40 dollars. The exception was Grand Floridian Cafe were we had the best waiter and gave him 50. They all work so hard to make sure everyone is happy they deserve to be rewarded.

faline
09-30-2015, 06:06 PM
We often use the Tables in Wonderland card which automatically adds an 18% tip. For mediocre or average service, we do not add any additional to the tip (and figure that saves us about 2% over what we normally tip outside of Disney). For good to excellent service, we will add an additional amount to the tip depending on the level of service.

Mendelson
10-01-2015, 08:14 AM
My question is, do people tip on top of the service charge that is calc’ed and added automatically? What is normal

I don't use the dining plan and have nothing to add; I'm only commenting because I know my Mendelson/Mendohlson/Beethoven thing perplexes you. :mickey:

Dulcee
10-01-2015, 02:01 PM
We generally leave 20%.

Arielfan98
10-02-2015, 12:00 AM
I still live with my parents and I think they pay 15%-18% depending on the service quality. I just wanted to say thank you to someone who gets it. I work a minimum wage job at a kid's party place and rely on tips. Most people tip way below 15% and it means a lot that there are people out there who tip generously. I always aim to tip heavy when the service is well done. Thank you! :mickey:

etibbetts
10-02-2015, 08:23 AM
We go with a party of 7 so the 18% is automatically added. For most meals, that is all we leave. If we have a waiter/waitress that is exceptional though we have left extra.

g8rgirl29
10-02-2015, 09:34 AM
We use the dining plan but I never charge the tip to the room. I always have envelopes that I save tip money in and leave a cash tip. We never leave less than 18% and many times go above 20% if the service is good. I don't ask for much, just keep my glass refilled and I am happy, you will get at least 20% that way!! If I am left in the Sahara begging for a refill on my water or soda forget it, you are getting 18%.

SurferStitch
10-02-2015, 12:38 PM
We have TiW (just me and DH, no kids).

At buffets we just tip the 18% auto gratuity unless the server does some exceptional (which honestly never happens). Service is always fine, just not spectacular.

Most of our dinners are at signature restaurants, where we always tip over the 18% (at least 25% or even more if service was really incredible).

At TS meals in the parks, we almost always add to the 18% to hit at least 20% gratuity or more. We don't see the highly personalized service at park restaurants like we do at the TS resort restaurants (I know it's a more frantic pace), so it's usually 20% (but we have tipped more as well).