PDA

View Full Version : a different kind of question

KiNg4aDaY
09-29-2015, 10:57 AM
So I am looking at booking a trip for March to go to WDW with my older brother and his family. They are dead set on staying in a value resort because of the cheaper rates. I am trying to convince them to stay in more of a moderate value resort such as CBR or POR. Yes it's more expensive but in my experience they are just better resorts.

Can some of you who have also stayed at the moderate value resorts give me some argument points that I can make to try to get them to change their mind. I have even offered to pay the difference in price for them to stay in the moderate value resort but my brother is convinced there is no difference in the hotels and that its stupid to pay the extra money. I am a former cast member, and I can answer any questions they have when it comes to the theme parks but when it comes to the resorts I don't know as much.

Thanks!

AgentC
09-29-2015, 11:30 AM
Off the top of my head

- the moderates have nicer pools with more theming and a pool slide.
-values have full size beds. moderates has queen size beds. Those extra inches are nice when you have two in a bed.
-moderates (except POFQ) has a sit down dining option
-moderates have lounge and some like POR includes entertainment
-moderates have more elaborate theming
-moderates tend to have more extra activities
-moderates have a nicer shampoo/soap collection
-Coronado Springs has extra amenities including a health club and hair salon.

Priority Four
09-29-2015, 12:09 PM
In 2002, My in laws joined us for a trip. They had the same attitude. All we are going to do is sleep there right?

Wrong. Huge groups don't stay at moderates.Transportation is better. Theme is way better. Pools are better. Proximity is better. Dining options are better. Rooms are bigger and more comfortable. Taking a walk around the resort in the evening is not something I would even consider at a value. Nothing to see.

baldburke
09-29-2015, 12:48 PM
Plus the overall atmosphere seems to be better. Overall it's a much better Disney experience and worth a couple extra bucks if you can swing it. We realize it's not always possible based on circumstances.

magicofdisney
09-29-2015, 12:57 PM
If there are younger children in his family, the values may appeal to them more than a moderate.

We used to stay at values exclusively. As my children grew older we moved to the moderate tier. All Disney hotels are well themed. I don't think any one tier is better than another, just different. The biggest change I notice going from value, to moderate, to deluxe is a change in pool theming and dining options. Values have counter service dining where as most moderates and all deluxe have table service offerings. The rooms also become larger as you move up. However, depending on party size, length of stay and amount of luggage, room size may not warrant the price increase.

Perhaps you could split you stay by starting at a value and then switching to a moderate. They'll then have an opportunity to compare.

1DisneyNut
09-29-2015, 02:50 PM
I think most of the advantages to moderates over values have been covered already. I will mention that the atmosphere between the two are completely different. At the values you have a majority of families with small children and also tour groups. Both of those tend to be really noisy and the food courts can be a complete mad house and have small kids screaming and crying everywhere along with the tour groups yelling and chanting and so forth.

We tried the values a couple of times and decided that we just simply would not go before we would ever stay in them again. I would and have stayed offsite rather than the values. By the way, for what an onsite value cost per night, you can get some really nice offsite hotels. If you are dead set on staying onsite, moderates all the way.

brownie
09-29-2015, 04:12 PM
Where will the most time be spent? If at the parks it might be best just to stay at a value resort. You could always stay at a moderate while they stay at a value.

Instead of trying to convince them maybe spend time trying to really understand why they're dead set on staying at a value resort.

Kairi_7378
09-29-2015, 06:28 PM
Do you have to stay at the same resort? It sounds like you all might have different vacation styles and expectations of the trip, or perceptions about what ammenities are "worth" extra money spent.

KiNg4aDaY
09-29-2015, 07:02 PM
Thanks for all the replies, it gave me some things to think about. I was really thinking of a way to keep us together, but I guess for just sleeping we could stay at different resorts and just meet up. with cell phones it isn't all that hard to meet up anymore.

The main reason I wanted them to stay at a moderate value resort is because my brother has a pretty negative view of his last stay at WDW and I wanted to see if I could change his perspective a little bit more. He is very concerned about cost, so I think that I will probably just let them stay where they want to stay and I will stay where I can get in.

Thanks again for the replies :D

BrowncatP
09-29-2015, 07:10 PM
If you do stay in the value, try to at least take the boat from DTD(DS now) and go have dinner at POR,then walk around the resort. Tell them that maybe the moderate is the place to stay the next time.

etibbetts
09-30-2015, 01:07 PM
The biggest things that I find in a moderate over a value that make it worth the cost are - queen beds, two sinks in the bathroom, better towels, towels at the pool, slide, hot tub and better landscaping/atmosphere.

However there are a couple things I like better at the values over the moderates too - one bus stop, lines for the bus stop (it annoys me at the moderates that people walk up as the bus pulls up and get on first).

Either way, I'm sure you will have a good time.

texas211
09-30-2015, 08:14 PM
Reason to adopt a new family..

No comparison, moderates, are nicer, better folks staying there, better food, crisper themes that feel more disney resort like, covered bus stops.

Yeah, if they don't agree, don't go with them. GIve them tickets to six flags and a HOJO, and run.

lawgirl
10-27-2015, 05:09 PM
Do they have younger kids? We usually stay at Deluxe level- AKL, SS, etc, but last time we stayed at CBR and I was blown away. The rooms were way nicer than I expected and the theming was great. I loved it. For me one of the main differences is that (at least in my experience) the moderate resorts seem to be much more upscale and less hectic/stressful than the value ones. The main reason I chose CBR was for the Pirate splash pool- we couldn't keep my kids away from it...we seriously could have just stayed at the hotel for the entire trip and they would have been so happy!

madhatterrules
10-29-2015, 08:58 AM
I would argue for a moderate over a value because the values are huge properties and you may have long walks to food or pools, in addition to long waits for busses as well as crowded busses.

We frequently stay at Port Orleans French Quarter and it's so easy to get around and has extra amenities like a slide at the pool, a boat ride to Disney Springs, good food court, nice walking trails, movies on the lawn and camp fires.

I hate waiting in long lines so I will always choose a moderate over a value.

MouseHouser
11-06-2015, 01:36 PM
I agree 100% about preferring mods over values. However, I personally would rather stay at a value and be together with my bro and his family than be separated.

Another thing I would consider is that I would be careful about talking someone into staying at the mods, because if they resent it, they might do nothing but look for fault in the moderate.

I've been amazed at how some people, even when surrounded by all the beautiful architecture, landscaping, theming, and wonderful service, still seem to find nothing but fault. I recall one friend returning from Disney who was full of complaints about the prices, and he's way wealthy.

Maybe have your brother read this thread.

mandaep
11-12-2015, 09:47 PM
For me, after this last trip to Pop with the kids I am just not even in the mood for the overwhelming nature of values any time soon. We are specifically staying at POFQ because I KNOW it will be more laid back and after our last trip of being overwhelmed and the kids being such I'm not going to take the chance of letting a loud noisy hustling resort add any amount of sourness to our experience with our kids. We stayed at Pop before we had kids and I enjoyed it more then, just because we didn't have kids to worry about ourselves. This time I am taking every step I can to make our trip a little more laid back. Also the food court at Pop and the values is overwhelming to me.

But, the value is doable and they maintain them well and they are fun for kids. I would stay again when my kids are a little older.

Speedy1998
11-13-2015, 12:43 PM
I would and have stayed offsite rather than the values. By the way, for what an onsite value cost per night, you can get some really nice offsite hotels. If you are dead set on staying onsite, moderates all the way.

There is also the option of condos, townhouses, and houses if you stay off property. For less than the cost of two rooms at a value resort, you can stay at a townhouse with 3 bedrooms and 3 baths.

To me the advantages of staying on property are just not worth it.

Even when I stayed on property, I avoided the park with EMH as it is usually the busiest. And the only thing that I was not able to book 30 days out for my FP+ was a meet and greet with Anna and Elsa for my DD.

Terra
11-16-2015, 12:20 PM
Reason to adopt a new family..

No comparison, moderates, are nicer, better folks staying there, better food, crisper themes that feel more disney resort like, covered bus stops.

Yeah, if they don't agree, don't go with them. GIve them tickets to six flags and a HOJO, and run.

Ummm, what? I stay with my family at the values when we are able to stay on property.
I'm sad to see that you think we're not good enough for moderate resorts should we ever decide to go there :/

BrerGnat
11-16-2015, 04:38 PM
Ummm, what? I stay with my family at the values when we are able to stay on property.
I'm sad to see that you think we're not good enough for moderate resorts should we ever decide to go there :/

I have stayed at the Values many times as well. It's either that or Deluxe, Club Level, LOL. There are all kinds at every resort level.

natkevnol
11-19-2015, 05:59 PM
The biggest things that I find in a moderate over a value that make it worth the cost are - queen beds, two sinks in the bathroom, better towels, towels at the pool, slide, hot tub and better landscaping/atmosphere.

However there are a couple things I like better at the values over the moderates too - one bus stop, lines for the bus stop (it annoys me at the moderates that people walk up as the bus pulls up and get on first).

Either way, I'm sure you will have a good time.

Sorry to hijack this thread but we are going next month and staying in a moderate for the first time (POFQ). 12 people in all, 7 newbies. One thing I liked about the values is the orderly line for the bus stop..reading that there are no lines at the bus stops in a moderate makes me a bit anxious..is this true all the time?

BrerGnat
11-19-2015, 08:53 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread but we are going next month and staying in a moderate for the first time (POFQ). 12 people in all, 7 newbies. One thing I liked about the values is the orderly line for the bus stop..reading that there are no lines at the bus stops in a moderate makes me a bit anxious..is this true all the time?

There are no lines but there are also FAR less people at the bus stops. Generally speaking, people tend to board the bus in the order that they arrived at the stop, unless they forgot their manners that day. ;)

Bass T-bone
11-21-2015, 11:28 AM
How about a little resort hopping? Have them stay in a moderate for just one night.

KiNg4aDaY
12-28-2015, 10:17 AM
I made my reservations yesterday, and I decided to stay at CBR...it sounds like my brother and SIL will still be staying at a value resort. I talked it over with them and they are not upset I want to stay at a different resort. I listed all the reasons given as to why I didn't want to stay in a value resort and they were ok with it. They are staying at a value resort purely for financial reasons. The only reason we will go back to the resorts is to sleep and for my niece to use the pool. I would stay at the parks when they do that anyway so its not a big deal.

joonyer
12-28-2015, 10:05 PM

We stayed at POFQ last year during Christmas week, the most crowded time of the year at WDW, and there were never any queues at the POFQ bus stop, just a waiting "area" where you could stand or sit if you wish. And you know what? There was no need for a queue. There was never more than about 20-25 people waiting to get on any bus at POFQ while we were there that week (most of the time there were much less, maybe 10-12 people). So there were no worries about getting onto a bus or getting a seat. If you are driven to be the first person on the bus, you could stand next to the curb, I guess. This was our first stay at a moderate and we were very, very pleased with the bus service, which was a hundred times better than the values, especially when leaving the parks at night.

andmomlau
01-09-2016, 08:33 PM
One big reason that has not been mentioned....March and April are two big months for high school senior class trips which stay in the value resorts...enough said!

SuzieBell
01-10-2016, 05:03 PM
Did anyone mention there is no coffee pot in value? I don't want to get dressed first thing in the morning to get my "fix"! :blush: