PDA

View Full Version : Back side of Everest themed?

MrPeetrie
09-28-2015, 06:16 PM
I went to Bluzzard Beach for the first time this trip and ascending up to Mt. Gushmore, I saw the back of Expedition: Everest and commented to my daughter it didn't looked themed.

Upon our return home, over a meal I mentioned it to my wife, who said "It most certainly is. It's themed like a Tibettan Monastery." That makes perfect sense. Is she correct?

Fangorn
09-28-2015, 06:41 PM
She is indeed correct.

The back side looks like a fortress carved into a mountainside. The forced perspective makes the peak of Everest appear way off on the horizon from the monastery.

Steve

Main Street Jim
09-28-2015, 08:23 PM
Ummm....from a Cast Member (myself) who's ridden in a Safari truck around the backside of the park with a Safari driver...

The show building is NOT themed on the "backstage" side...it's...a show building...

Do a Google search for "back side of Expedition Everest", and you'll see...that does not look like a "monastery" to me...especially with the utilities stuff (A/C, power, etc.) in front of it...

SurferStitch
09-29-2015, 12:29 PM
So I looked up a photo of the back side of EE.

Yes, while you do see AC equipment, among other things, it is definitely painted to represent something like a monastery, and Everest does look like it's far in the distance from it.

Sure, if you're right up at the structure, you'll see all of the equipment around the base. But from a distance, it definitely looks like a monastery. There is some exhaust ductwork at the top, too, but again, it's pretty subdued.

Stu29573
09-29-2015, 12:46 PM
So I looked up a photo of the back side of EE.

Yes, while you do see AC equipment, among other things, it is definitely painted to represent something like a monastery, and Everest does look like it's far in the distance from it.

Sure, if you're right up at the structure, you'll see all of the equipment around the base. But from a distance, it definitely looks like a monastery. There is some exhaust ductwork at the top, too, but again, it's pretty subdued.

I agree. At least there was an attempt there. I expected to see a grey industrial building...

PopPhan
09-29-2015, 01:42 PM
From a low level perspective, it really loses something....

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-MfokIuKVH_E/U6DtcQ2kccI/AAAAAAAACZE/2ctf9ihf8Ac/s1600/IMG_4909.JPG

...but from a distance....

http://attractionsmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/bbblog2.jpg

It looks like they tried to theme the back, but never thought about things like the races, only that it might be viewed from a distance.

DizneyRox
09-29-2015, 04:46 PM
Back when Re-Imagineering was still alive and kicking, they had an article on Everest and mentioned the "bad show" by not theming the visible sections of the ride. And if I'm not mistaken, on the way to AK you can still see what they are talking about by looking over to the right as you approach the toll booth.