PDA

View Full Version : Hilton Head

bob6572
09-21-2015, 07:56 PM
Thinking of staying at HHI next spring for somethinbg different after 3 straight years at WDW. Trying to convince my 14 yr old son it's fun. He's not a huge beach fan. Any ideas from anyone who has stayed there before??

John
09-21-2015, 09:04 PM
Loads of mini golf nearby, you can bike most everywhere including ON THE BEACH! Pool and snack bar at the beach (plus DOLE WHIPS), pool back at the resort. Activities at the resort. Fishing, boating, paddleboarding etc. No theme parks nearby. It is a little slower paced to be honest. This is not a WDW vacation. I think if you plan to do something specific each day you should be fine - also involve him in the choice of where to eat at night - look thru the books - make it an adventure. :)

You can also take boat trips to Savannah and there's lots to see there. We LOVE Hilton Head and plan to move there. The last few times we went, we said, NO national chain food places. Everything we did had to be local/regional.

14 is a tough age and a week at Hilton Head might be long for him - maybe do 5 nights instead - see if you like it?

Priority Four
09-22-2015, 10:10 AM
As mentioned, it can be a slower paced vacation. We went when my kids were that age. They really enjoyed the programs offered by the resort. We especially enjoyed the beach and marsh and forest tours with the resort staff. Kayaking and dolphin tours also a big hit.

TheDuckRocks
09-23-2015, 12:02 PM
Bike rentals are available at the resort. Also from outside vendors, there are coupons in the little booklets that are everywhere. Have heard the outside vendors are cheaper, but we have always gone with ease of just getting one from Disney.
I have always wanted to do the boat trip down to Savannah but have been so busy we have never gotten around to it.
If you are foodies the HH/Bluffton area has over 200 restaurants and at least half of those are local operations. Oh, yeah and great.
We are seriously thinking of retiring to the area in the not to far future. Love it.

faline
09-23-2015, 07:26 PM
We just returned from our first trip to Disney's HIlton Head a few days ago. You can do a lot or a little depending on what you want to do. Play a game of horseshoes, shoot some pool, throw bean bags or play shuffle board - all available at Disney. Take a dolphin cruise, spend time at the pool, sightsee, or just hang out at the pool. I think you'll find lots to do beyond he beach.

A Mouse Fan
09-25-2015, 12:42 PM
We just returned from our first stay at Disney Hilton Head and all I can say is WOW! It was SO much more than I expected! It's a nice quiet resort, located near lots of shops and restaurants. We played Disney Trivia at the pool, made tie dye Disney tee shirts, went to Disney movies they held outside, had campfires and went to a Carnival they held on property with bounce houses and face painting. Don't forget to meet the only living Disney Mascot...a cute dog named Shadow who makes daily appearances.