PDA

View Full Version : Disney Investigating Websites Selling Walt Disney World Dining Reservations To Guests

John
09-12-2015, 09:49 AM
For those that are planning a Walt Disney World vacation and learning all the intricacies of the new technology of My Disney Experience, you may have to learn a few more things. If you’re finding it hard to make some dining reservations, you can still get them, but it’s going to cost you.

Disney is currently investigating websites that are scooping up dining reservations by the dozen and then selling them to guests for a price.

Dining reservations at places such as Cinderella’s Royal Table and Be Our Guest Restaurant are not easy to get as it is. As the Orlando Sentinel reports, websites such as DiS Dining Agent is making it even harder to get them.

This website actually makes Disney dining reservations under fake identities and then sells them over to guests for $15. Actually, the wording used is “transfers them to customers,” but it’s done in a number of different ways.

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/2407753/disney-investigating-websites-selling-walt-disney-world-dining-reservations-to-guests/#UdtHqC4RV0iCq0Tz.99

In my day - we called the CHEATING THE SYSTEM - sites like this should be immediately shut down. Is it any wonder that it's so difficult to find/make reservations anymore?

BrerGnat
09-12-2015, 12:00 PM
This is terrible! Some people are so low. Disney needs to eliminate the ADR system and go back to same day reservations. At most, 24 hour advanced ones. They have created a monster.

Goofeygal
09-12-2015, 12:06 PM
How does this work with ones like Cinderellas Royal Table and BOG if they have to have a credit card to secure the reservation? :thedolls:

magicofdisney
09-12-2015, 01:20 PM
I can see one of two things come from this. Either Disney will require you have a resort reservation in order to book dining or they will ultimately require you have a PAID resort reservation before booking dining. They could also take away the 10-day allowance. I'm not entirely opposed to these ideas if they also change from the 180 rule to a 45 day rule. That seems MUCH more reasonable to me. They could also set aside an allotment of same-day reservations for those staying off site.

texas211
09-12-2015, 01:53 PM
Eh, where there is a will, there is a way. People will always find a way to buck the system.

John
09-12-2015, 02:33 PM
Eh, where there is a will, there is a way. People will always find a way to buck the system.

So you're cool with it then? A company taking up the entire block of reservations and making a profit off of it while normal people get up at the crack of dawn x number of days out only to be denied a chance of dining where they want via the legitimate system?

Wow.

BrerGnat
09-12-2015, 03:01 PM
How does this work with ones like Cinderellas Royal Table and BOG if they have to have a credit card to secure the reservation? :thedolls:

I assume what this really is is a company making a reservation, listing it as "available", and then charging $15 to coordinate a "cancel and immediately rebook" the reservation under the customer's name and credit card number, or simply coordinating the timing of the release of the reservation so that the customer can take it as soon as it shows as an option.

cer
09-12-2015, 03:22 PM
So, this is why I can't get 'Ohana in November!

Well, that and maybe the fact that I did not book until 74 days out.

Pirate Granny
09-12-2015, 04:47 PM
Are they providing the same credit card? So, although different names. I would think the same credit card....that disney could block "their" system if they upgrade the system to check CC#, instead of just names. I haven't had any trouble, but also haven't booked CRT or BoG lately.

Dulcee
09-12-2015, 05:28 PM
I've seen this site pop up on my facebook feed numerous times. I figured there had to be more to them then just "we'll watch for cancellations and let you know when to book." I hope Disney squashes them.

Pally
09-12-2015, 07:43 PM
I just checked out this web site. It just sickens me that this is being done and people are paying for their service. They have reservations that I would like. Will I use this site. Absolutely not, no matter how much I want those reservations. Some may feel I am being stupid but I hope Disney can put a stop to this ASAP.

This certainly does not make it right in my opinion. I really hate when people take advantage for their own purposes and try an convince others there is nothing wrong with it. Slimy. :(

EeyoresBestFriend
09-12-2015, 08:59 PM
That does make you wonder if this is why so many popular restaurants are unavailable for the entire 3 weeks of your stay when you log on at the first minute into your 180 day window.

I also noticed that for MNSSHP that the dessert party was gone as soon as it was released. Every ticket to every party date. That was a bit weird . . . :confused

I hope Disney fixes this hole quickly.

1DisneyNut
09-13-2015, 09:33 AM
Are they providing the same credit card? So, although different names. I would think the same credit card....that disney could block "their" system if they upgrade the system to check CC#, instead of just names. I haven't had any trouble, but also haven't booked CRT or BoG lately.

I doubt they are using the same number but even if they are and disney blocks it, that is very easy to circumvent. You can get "online purchase/one time use" credit card numbers. Some banks do them and there are also services that do it where you enter your real credit card number and it then issues you a one time use number to go buy something online.

I am not surprised to hear this is happening. I had wondered if anyone was doing it but didn't take the time to look because I despise the 180 day ADR system anyway.

There are a couple of ways to fix this problem. One would be to require someone to already have a resort reservation or tickets linked to an MDE account you have to log into and then monitor those accounts for frequent dining reservations and cancellations or put limits on them. The other way and probably the best way to fix this is to put random release timing on dining reservations where when one is cancelled, it may be available in 2 minutes but then again it may be 20 hours 17 minutes and 42 seconds. That way this company can't reliably know when their cancelled reservation would be available for their "customer" to purchase and their system would fail.

BrowncatP
09-13-2015, 07:19 PM
Watch Disney start to charge you, say $20.00 at the time you make your ADR. That charge will then be a credit towards your reserved meal.

Katzateer
09-13-2015, 09:06 PM
I know a lot of former WDW travelers that will not go. They have found other places to spend their money. Planning vacation dining and ride schedule so far ahead has turned the vacation planning into too much work.

And as much as I would like a BOG dining for December, I will not pay someone else to get one for me.:(. Not fair they can scoop up these dining openings and profit from them.:down::down:

texas211
09-13-2015, 09:53 PM
I'm not saying it is right, but as long as they have a system like this, there will always be an opportunity for something like this.

Remember the stories about people bringing in special needs folks just to get preferences? Or folks who use scooters just to get in the front, etc.

If they have reservations at all, they'll have systems like this. Disney won't do away with reservations, so...

TheDuckRocks
09-14-2015, 11:08 AM
"There’s even a concierge level where they will guarantee you get the reservation because they don’t transfer it. In this case, they will actually hand over the My Disney Experience (MDE) account, made in a fake name, to the customer, and give them control of the reservation."

The end to using this method of abusing the system would be to ask us all to show a picture ID with the reservation name. I know it would be a pain, but I for one would be more than glad to do it rather than not get an ADR due to this practice.

texas211
09-14-2015, 06:31 PM
I don't want to show more ID for anything. Let's not make it more difficult for anything. I'd rather do away w/ the reservation system as whole. ALong w/ FP+. But, I doubt that'll happen.

Stu29573
09-15-2015, 11:16 AM
Yep, it's crazy, and Disney Orlando has created a monster. All of this has taken a magical vacation to a wonderful carefree place and made it... well, just plain work. That's why after this next trip, we are focusing on Disneyland. We live in the middle anyway, and DHS is going to be a non-park in for at least two or three years.. Yep, it's time to head west!

TheVBs
09-15-2015, 11:48 AM
I recently read about this. I can't say I was surprised, but I am completely disgusted. What a lowlife way to make money. There must be a way for Disney to block them, or at least make it difficult enough to not be worth it.

I hope Disney squashes them.

Well said! Me too!

ThanxForNoticin
09-15-2015, 12:15 PM
But something everyone must keep in mind. No matter how low and back-handed and unethical this seems to most of us, they clearly have a base of customers buying their service - else they wouldn't remain in business. It is very disheartening to think there are so many people out there who are willing to pay such a fee for a reservation - and for that, Disney is to blame for creating such a system. It'll be interesting to see how Disney reacts to counter this company's business.

BrerGnat
09-15-2015, 02:24 PM
But something everyone must keep in mind. No matter how low and back-handed and unethical this seems to most of us, they clearly have a base of customers buying their service - else they wouldn't remain in business. It is very disheartening to think there are so many people out there who are willing to pay such a fee for a reservation - and for that, Disney is to blame for creating such a system. It'll be interesting to see how Disney reacts to counter this company's business.

I fear Disney will react by simply taking advantage of people's willingness to pay and begin charging $15 per ADR.

big blue and hairy
09-15-2015, 05:25 PM
I agree with the idea of showing ID, along with a waiting period between cancellation and being available again. It's completely random if you hit the right time for a cancelled reservation, so make it not work for the low-lifes.

:sulley:

texas211
09-15-2015, 07:40 PM

I do wonder if they've come up w/ a FP+ cheat.

Wayne
09-15-2015, 07:40 PM
I know that someone will call me an old fogey for this opinion, but I wish they'd get rid of ADR and FP in any iteration. Go back to the days of same day dining reservations (maybe next day if you're staying onsite) and having people stand in line. Good grief. It is more work to go on "vacation" than I'm willing to spend. Main reason we haven't been in a few years and have no desire to go back anytime soon. Disneyland maybe. WDW not on the radar.

texas211
09-15-2015, 09:29 PM
I know that someone will call me an old fogey for this opinion, but I wish they'd get rid of ADR and FP in any iteration. Go back to the days of same day dining reservations (maybe next day if you're staying onsite) and having people stand in line. Good grief. It is more work to go on "vacation" than I'm willing to spend. Main reason we haven't been in a few years and have no desire to go back anytime soon. Disneyland maybe. WDW not on the radar.

Disneyland is being infected as well. I'm with you. I could go for the old FP, but would go for it all going away.

BrerGnat
09-15-2015, 09:42 PM
Disneyland is being infected as well.

In what way?

Mrs Bus Driver
09-16-2015, 11:54 AM
Interesting conversation, I don't know if this will affect me since my next trip will be Jan of 2017. But if its too much trouble to get dinner reservations we will go offsite to eat. So if Disney wants my dollars they better make sure I can get a reservation. Otherwise I'll be spending more time at Universal or maybe someone could suggest a really good seafood restaurant. :thedolls:

baldburke
09-16-2015, 12:16 PM
It's a vacation and a vacation should be relaxing. However it's a Disney vacation and more often than not you need a vacation from your vacation after a Disney stay.

For most a Disney vacation isn't lying by the pool all day sipping cocktails. However it's really not that much different than if you were traveling a big city like London or NYC or a national park like the Grand Canyon or Yellowstone. You'll probably be planning for sites to see, shows, tours and meals. Yes some down time is good too, but you want to accomplish "the stuff" that interests you or that friends have recommended.

Are ADRs or FP+ perfect? Heck no, but they do attempt to offer the ability to accomplish "the stuff" you want to experience on your vacation. Overall the FP+ system is an improvement on the old paper tickets, but it would be great if they could offer you more options across WDW. I would be nice not to have to say which park you want to visit at which time 45 days out. However I can only imagine it's only going to get better with time.

GoBlueLacheta
09-29-2015, 08:39 PM
Disney created the problem but it's essentially the same as the ticket brokers who buy up all the tickets to popular sporting events and concerts etc., if there is a demand for something, there will be individuals looking to exploit and provide the supply. This whole thing stems from the online reservation system as it offers a plethora of ways to bypass any responsibility.

Goes4FastPass
09-30-2015, 02:43 PM
No, John I am NOT ok with this.
I have done the planning I needed to do to set an alarm and go online and follow the system.
Honestly, I hope WDW guests who participate in this as customers find themselves without valid reservations eating from the popcorn wagon.

LVT
10-05-2015, 07:35 PM
I don't like it. Some may be desperate parents paying the extra price. Others may be like the water wasters in CA, money should buy anything, sharing doesn't have anything to do with it.