PDA

View Full Version : 5K Question

CarrieAllie
08-26-2015, 04:58 PM
Hey y'all,

What are the typical 5k's that WDW puts on? When do the registrations open?

I've hated running forever, I'm a cyclist. But, I'm temporarily in a place without good bike routes close, and found out that I actually like running a little now. I'm not that good yet, it's totally different than being on my bike. I think a 5K would be fun goal to start with.

Carrie

BrerGnat
08-26-2015, 05:19 PM
There are several events every year. Go to www.rundisney.com to find out the dates for them. Registration varies but can be anywhere from 3-9 months out from race day.

CarrieAllie
08-26-2015, 06:11 PM
Yeah, I've seen the site, but I'm more interested in hearing from those who have participated. What types of 5ks are typical? Maybe even 10ks. I've worked a couple, but that was many years ago. Registration seems to fill up very fast, that's why I ask about when they open.

AgentC
08-27-2015, 01:36 PM
Yeah, I've seen the site, but I'm more interested in hearing from those who have participated. What types of 5ks are typical? Maybe even 10ks. I've worked a couple, but that was many years ago. Registration seems to fill up very fast, that's why I ask about when they open.

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking about. Are you asking about the registration process or for details about the races themselves like the course? And are you interested in WDW, DL or both? runDisney has about 8 events currently between WDW and Disneyland.

All of the events include a 5K race but the course varies depending on the event. At WDW both the Marathon Weekend and Princess Weekend 5K runs through Epcot and it appears Star Wars will have a similar course. The 5K for Wine & Dine runs through Animal Kingdom. Not every races includes a 10K. At WDW, Marathon weekend, Princess Weekend and the new Star Wars Weekend include a 10K.

Most of the time registration opens about 8 months in advance but the time frame may vary. The registration dates are always listed on the runDisney site and you can sign up for reminder emails.

The first year I did a 5K I was able to register quite late but for the recent registrations the 5K & 10Ks usually sell out on the first day they are open to the general public for registrations.

On another note, I love the runDisney races but they are significantly more expensive than many other races.

cer
08-27-2015, 04:52 PM

I am also unclear about what you mean by "typical."

All the races are very popular. They vary based on course and theme.

For example, for Marathon Weekend in January, the 5K run is hosted by Pluto, so there will be a "soft" medal that is Pluto themed. All the medals for the 5K are a soft rubber and are very colorful.

Princess weekend draws mostly women and the medal/event is themed around the princesses.

For the Tinkerbell Half in Disneyland the theme is Neverland 5K and it is Peter Pan themed.

During The Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend, the theme for the 5K is Jingle Jungle 5K and it is run around/through Animal Kingdom Park and has a Holiday theme.

All of the runs are wildly popular, and you pretty much choose which themed run you wish to complete.

As far as registering, I would recommend for all the runDisney events being ready at the computer the moment it opens -not just sometime on the day registration opens, but the exact time.

I hope this helps you with your question.

BrerGnat
08-28-2015, 08:40 AM
Did these posts answer your question? I am also not sure what you meant by "typical."

But, typically the 5k's open up the race weekend event, as the first day's event. So if you see an event listed as being over a 3 or 4 day period, the 5k will be that first day.

CarrieAllie
09-07-2015, 09:30 AM
Sorry, busy week :)

Yeah, I think by typical I was just looking for some general information. I've worked a few years back, but that's such old info, and I wasn't paying a lot of attention to the running stuff anyway back then. I read info on a few sites and it looked like there were a lot of different runs, and wasn't sure if they were all promoted on the Disney site at the moment, or when the info on them would pop up. And it seemed very competitive to even get registered, lol!

I'll def sign up for the email notification.

Looks like anything somewhat soon is all booked up for 5k, and if I'm planning further in advance I might go for a longer run. So, stuff to think over.

Thanks for the tips :)