PDA

View Full Version : Take it or leave it topic

cer
08-25-2015, 11:43 AM
Staying on property at WDW but NOT going to the parks.

I really want to know what your opinion is on this -

What do you think? Is it "worth it" to take a trip to WDW but not visit the parks.

If you'd like to use this for the podcast that would be great, but I would like to hear your opinion on the discussion boards, too as we are trying to make some decisions.

We have taken many trips to WDW, this would be a Mom and Dad 4 night get away in November and we would be returning in June with our kids who will be 15 and 17. Considering going and enjoying the resort without the parks. What do you think?

wilcat
08-25-2015, 12:15 PM
I have a friend at work who goes every year with his wife to Disney and never buys park tickets. They relax at the resort, spend time at the pool, visit DTD and walk the Boardwalk in the evenings. There are so many restaurants outside the parks that they never go hungry. You can spend a day or two visiting the different resorts, take a few spins on the monorail, play mini golf, have a spa day. So many things to do without park days. They like to go because they get the Disney vibe everywhere they go without the hassle of park crowds or the expense of the tics

baldburke
08-25-2015, 12:33 PM
I'd say it depends. It depends who you are going with and how long you are staying. If you were traveling to WDW and staying at least one night then it would be a shame not to visit if you went through the trouble of getting there.

If you were traveling with your kids then I would say it would be torture to be there and not give them the option to go to the parks are least 50% of the time even if you are a regular, recurring visitor. I guess what your question doesn't ask is if you are doing different things like Universal, Sea World or Legoland.

Even if it's just adults I would think you have to go at least once. Even if it's for more dining options. WDW dining offers 346 dining options of which nearly 45% are in the parks. Otherwise if even just for a change of scenery and not even necessarily taking in attractions.

We're taking a short, unexpected, 4 day, 3 night trip this fall to celebrate our 20th anniversary. We just took the kids for a week in the spring with full park privileges but had no intent of getting back this year. Nothing significant has changed since our last trip so we are on the fence about tickets. We're definitely in for at least one day since we're signed up for the behind the scenes tour (super excited for that) but otherwise we're planning to play it by ear. :mickey:

magicofdisney
08-25-2015, 12:50 PM
I've taken a couple of trips without visiting the park. Personally, I don't prefer it. I'm always itching to get in and at least do nothing more than walk around. I don't need the rides, but I LOVE the atmosphere. :mickey:

My husband, on the other hand, could visit without stepping foot in a single park and be perfectly content.

disneymom15
08-25-2015, 12:58 PM
No way could I be that close and not enter the parks. I'm all for relaxing by the pool, doing DTD and such, but it would be torture trying to stay out of the parks for me.

EeyoresBestFriend
08-25-2015, 01:37 PM
We travel waaay too far to not go to the parks when we are there.

That being said, I could see doing it while touring other areas in Florida or just the non park things to do on site. I think I would upgrade to a better resort, in my world that would be AKL, maybe on a higher tier, as there would be more time spent in the room and resort amenities than we currently do.

In the past, poolside at FQ, I have overheard other guests saying they aren't doing the parks. Those ones had smaller kids who were having a blast at the pool while the parents were relaxing, reading a book, etc and keeping watchful eyes out. Didn't seem like such a bad idea - everyone was completely enjoying themselves. After all, isn't that what it is all about? :thumbsup:

cer
08-25-2015, 01:47 PM
We're taking a short, unexpected, 4 day, 3 night trip this fall to celebrate our 20th anniversary. We just took the kids for a week in the spring with full park privileges but had no intent of getting back this year. Nothing significant has changed since our last trip so we are on the fence about tickets. We're definitely in for at least one day since we're signed up for the behind the scenes tour (super excited for that) but otherwise we're planning to play it by ear. :mickey:

We are in the same boat! So, same deal - short anniversary trip in Nov knowing we will be going back full-on with the kids in June. On the fence also about park tickets.

BTW - we would never expect our kids to travel to WDW sans park tickets.

SBETigg
08-25-2015, 03:46 PM
Worth it, yes! There's so much to do outside the parks. Shopping, recreation, shows, taking in some resort tours, dining. But it's hard to resist the appeal of the parks, so close.

Disney4us2
08-25-2015, 07:27 PM
There is so much beyond the bubble. Last year we went to the Kennedy Space Center. We were there from opening to close and missed a few exhibits.

Last summer we had friends visiting us from California. Whey were here for 3 weeks with no park tickets. There was never a shortage of things to do. It was a nice relaxing stay using the ( DVC) resort amenities. We did go to Typhoon Lagoon one day.

baldburke
08-27-2015, 08:53 PM
We are in the same boat! So, same deal - short anniversary trip in Nov knowing we will be going back full-on with the kids in June. On the fence also about park tickets.

BTW - we would never expect our kids to travel to WDW sans park tickets.

Happy Anniversary! Cheers! :cheers:

i'm grumpy
08-31-2015, 12:26 PM
I'd like to visit the resorts, but No. :mickey2::minnie2:

IloveJack
09-05-2015, 11:17 AM
We spent 2+ days without parks there in July. While I fended off at least 3 requests to ditch the plans and head into the MK, there was never a shortage of things to do. Our kids (6,4,2) enjoyed the pool, DTD, and the monorail; and we enjoyed not having to rush or be on a schedule. Would I do it for longer? Not with the kids. As much as they enjoyed themselves, it was hard for them to understand why we weren't hitting the park's if we were just a bus ride away.