PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Races at WDW

Yungbuck73
08-25-2015, 11:34 AM
Taken from throughheatherslookingglass.com

LAKE BUENA VISTA, FL (Aug. 25, 2015) – runDisney is summoning the Force today to announce another Star Wars-inspired intergalactic journey, this time to the dark side.

The “Star Wars Half Marathon – the Dark Side” enters the galaxy April 14-17, 2016, at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida and pays homage to the dark side forces of the Star Wars universe. This new race follows the debut of the popular Star Wars-themed race at Disneyland Resort, which will return in January as the “Star Wars Half Marathon – the Light Side”.

“Ever since we launched the Star Wars race at Disneyland Resort, runners have been clamoring for more, so we’re thrilled to bring the Star Wars franchise together with the runDisney brand to Walt Disney World Resort,’’ said Maribeth Bisienere, senior vice president of Disney Sports Enterprises. “If the inaugural Star Wars race at Disneyland Resort is any indication, this new running adventure to the dark side is sure to be the out-of-this-world experience that runners have come to expect at runDisney events.’’

The new Star Wars race at Walt Disney World Resort will be a journey of personal achievement all its own, involving kids’ races, a 5K and a 10K in addition to the half marathon, plus a variety of Star Wars experiences, medals, events and merchandise inspired by a galaxy far, far away. Among its many features will be a unique 13.1-mile course that propels runners through Epcot, Disney’s Animal Kingdom and Disney’s Hollywood Studios and finishes at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. There will also be a Star Wars Dark Side Challenge — running the 10K and the half marathon on consecutive days – that offers each finisher a Death Star-themed medal.

Jedi and Sith Lords who dare to experience both Star Wars races will have the chance to take on the Kessel Run Challenge — completing the Star Wars half marathon missions on both coasts. Kessel Run Challenge runners can earn a commemorative “Coast to Coast” medal inspired by the Millennium Falcon starship. Race registration opens Sept. 22 at www.runDisney.com.

The addition of this second Star Wars race continues the recent wave of significant growth and popularity of runDisney events domestically and internationally. This is the second new runDisney race announced for 2016, joining the Disneyland Paris Half Marathon Weekend (Sept. 23-25 at Disneyland Paris), and the fourth addition to the runDisney series in the last two years (Star Wars Half Marathon at Disneyland Jan. 2015 and Avengers Super Heroes Half Marathon Weekend Nov. 2014).

Each year more than 200,000 runners sign up for runDisney events, which often sell out in record time.

“We are committed to creating extraordinary experiences and events that appeal to runners of all ages and attract even more fans of our various brands and franchises to the sport of running, creating opportunities for them to live a healthier and more active lifestyle,’’ said Bisienere.

AgentC
08-25-2015, 11:47 AM
Here's the link to the runDisney page for this event.

Star Wars 1/2 WDW (http://www.rundisney.com/star-wars-wdw-half-marathon/)

cer
08-25-2015, 11:58 AM
Thank you for the information! I know there will be a lot of folks excited for this event.

BrerGnat
08-25-2015, 12:22 PM
The race finishes at Wide World of Sports complex? That is odd...

JMTStone
08-25-2015, 12:33 PM
So I am signed up for WDW Marathon weekend where I hope to get my first 26.2 medal. Then to do C2C I signed up for Tink. This is just not fair. I know. Its exciting. But still.... was hoping to have more time to plan. Its not possible to throw this in the middle of those two races for me. Especially since I already purchased Tink.

Melanie
08-25-2015, 01:23 PM
Tentative to do these (C2C) in 2017. Already definitely planning Disneyland, but the new race sounds fun too! I agree with Mel, it's definitely not far away and hard to mix in if you already have other runDisney plans for 2016.

tcam326
08-25-2015, 03:57 PM
Thanks for letting me know! We can't wait!

tcam326
08-25-2015, 03:58 PM
It sounds like the second half of the marathon in reverse.

PirateLover
08-25-2015, 07:10 PM
Very cool!!!! Probably Not feasible to take part this year, but maybe sometime in the future.

AgentC
08-25-2015, 08:21 PM
I am really really really tempted. This would be my first chance to get in on an "inaugural" race.

Disney4us2
08-25-2015, 09:20 PM
I'm tempted to do the 5K.... Glad I have some time to think it over.

brownie
08-25-2015, 10:24 PM
It would be awesome to be able to do this so I could say I participated in both inaugural Star Wars races! Not sure my bride will be so open to me doing this one, though.

badkitty
08-26-2015, 01:56 AM
I so have to do this. Thought I was done with challenges... :darth::yoda:

I'm already in for the light side. Now for the dark side! It would be really cool to get the special SW C2C medal and be in both SW inaugural races. I'm a huge SW fan since 1977!

Now to find the funds and get the time off from work.

Yungbuck73
08-26-2015, 10:01 AM
I think I have to do at least the 5K and prob the 10K too. I'm psyched for these races.

tcam326
08-26-2015, 11:46 AM
I'm excited that I can get the Kessel Run C2C medal.

BrerGnat
08-26-2015, 01:44 PM
My husband is already committing to doing at least the half, so he can get the Kessel Run Medal. He can't pass up the fact that it's an Inaugural, since he did the SW races at DL last year. He is already signed up for the Rebel challenge in January. We will have to see if his work schedule will allow it. He's supposed to be finishing up a 2 week long field training exercise on the 15th, but that might be cut short or eliminated due to budget cuts. Here's hoping he knows for sure before registration opens!

JMTStone
09-15-2015, 02:17 PM
Went out to lunch. I really can't afford 3 Disney race weekends in 6 months.

Happy to see that some #runICOT team will be there.

Disney4us2
09-15-2015, 04:03 PM
Just signed up for the 5K. My DD will be doing this one as her first 5K. So excited!!!! Whoohoo!

badkitty
03-17-2016, 10:12 PM
The digital event guide is posted on the runDisney website. :woohoo: This means the courses are available! The 10K looks great! The half is a slightly modified reversal of the Wine & Dine. I like it! :darth::yoda: