PDA

View Full Version : Do online check in... then go to the front desk???

WiltonJohn
08-14-2015, 03:59 PM
So... long story.

If I do the online check in thing....... can I then STILL just go to the front desk to check in instead of really "using" any of the supposed advantages of the online check in? As in, pretend we never did it (other than for the requests).

The reason I don't WANT to use the on-line check in is the multiple stories I've heard of "issues".

The reason for asking this is that we are using DVC "points" for our stay and when I go to the normal phone in channels at Disney (407-939-7630) to do the typical room request business shortly before arrival ..... I hit a brick wall. I get told that only the original DVC member can make ANY kind of requests whatsoever to that reservation.

(The member is someone we don't know..... we purchased points via one of the commercial places.)

BUT... and this is the "kicker" here....... the people on the phone said that we CAN make the requests on the online check-in system. And they said we can do that kind of stuff when we are physically AT the resort too. No problem.

SO....... that is basically crazy and illogical.

Therefore, I was thinking of a potential "work-around" so that I can get this in in advance.

Anyone know if this will work... or will it create MORE problems?

best,

.................john

Strmchsr
08-14-2015, 04:37 PM
Sure you can do that. Just get in the regular line. Don't get in the online check-in line. The online check-in line is for folks who just want to grab their room key and go. So if you have any other concerns just get in the normal line and you'll be fine.

CanadianWDWFan
08-14-2015, 04:38 PM
When I did the online check in it didn't show the requests that I made. It gave me a whole different set of requests. It states that I can select two of them. For Old Key West requests there are:

Dual Bathroom entrances, near elevator, main floor, second floor, upper Floor, near transportation and one option for each for the different areas around OKW.

Since I made specific requests on my reservation that weren't listed I didn't add any new request just in case they cancel out the original one.

WiltonJohn
08-14-2015, 05:03 PM
Thanks folks.

Hum...... I might have gotten misinformation from the guy on the phone. He made it sound like there was a 'blank place' to write in any requests... not a set of specific choices (like with check boxes).

This rezzie is for Animal Kingdom Lodge, Jambo House, Deluxe Studio, Savannah View.

Am I going to be limited to a specific set of pre-formatted choices? If so... does anyone know what they ARE?

best,

..........john

VWL Mom
08-14-2015, 05:06 PM
[QUOTE=CanadianWDWFan;2466783
Since I made specific requests on my reservation that weren't listed I didn't add any new request just in case they cancel out the original one.[/QUOTE]

Indeed they do, I learned that the hard way.

Fangorn
08-14-2015, 05:18 PM
Am I going to be limited to a specific set of pre-formatted choices? If so... does anyone know that they ARE?

Yes. Yes you are. Never having stayed there I don't know what they are specifically, but each resort has it's own (very) short list of things you can request on the On-Line Check-In form. There is not a place to enter anything other than the limited choices you're given.

That said, you can always go to the front desk at check-in and ask for something else. At check-in, you can request anything. They may, or may not, be able to accommodate you though. It all depends on when you arrive and what your requests are.

Steve

brownie
08-14-2015, 06:37 PM
Have your requests noted on your reservation. Whoever booked your travel can help you. You can call Downs if you booked it yourself.

WiltonJohn
08-14-2015, 06:58 PM
Have your requests noted on your reservation. Whoever booked your travel can help you. You can call Downs if you booked it yourself.

This is my issue now. CAN'T note them on the reservation. Disney will not do it for ME. See above.

best,

..............john

SBETigg
08-14-2015, 10:38 PM
I had a good experience with online check-in, but I wasn't happy with the room assignment- At AKL, Kidani, savanna view, 1 BR, but I wanted Sunset Savanna and they assigned us a different one. So even though we did online check in, we went to the desk to see about changing rooms. It was no problem, we just had to wait longer for our room to be ready, and we got what we wanted.

WiltonJohn
08-14-2015, 10:40 PM
Sherri,

Thanks for the more positive thoughts on the online thing.

Do you by any chance remember what specific option choices were there for the online check-in for "room requests"?

Thanks.

best,

.................john

mickeyman42
08-15-2015, 08:03 AM
If you rented points from an intermediary company, you can contact the company you rented from, they can contact the DVC owner and have your requests noted on your reservation. This is what we had done back in June for our trip to VGC and it was done with no problems at all.

mickeyman42
08-15-2015, 08:11 AM
I believe the online check in options are:
near lobby, near elevator, low floor, high floor, sunset savannah view, kudu trail view, near bus stop

there may be more (or less), I cant quite remember. we have stayed at both Jambo and Kidani, and both are amazing, you really can't go wrong with a savannah view at AKL, enjoy

WiltonJohn
08-15-2015, 09:23 AM
If you rented points from an intermediary company, you can contact the company you rented from, they can contact the DVC owner and have your requests noted on your reservation. This is what we had done back in June for our trip to VGC and it was done with no problems at all.

Thanks mickeyman42.

Yes.... we "rented points". I knew that I had to do the big stuff like Magical Express and the Dining Plan thru them (did ME,...no DP). But it never dawned on me that the really simple stuff like this (no feather pillows, etc.) also had to go thru them.

The "issue" here is that it is only 2+ days out now... and the company has to contact the DVC owner and then they have to contact Disney. It is an imposition on both the company and the owner for this last minute stuff.

Looking for a simple "work around".

best,

..............john

WiltonJohn
08-15-2015, 09:29 AM
That said, you can always go to the front desk at check-in and ask for something else. At check-in, you can request anything. They may, or may not, be able to accommodate you though. It all depends on when you arrive and what your requests are.

Steve,

Thanks... unfortunately we arrive in the early evening. So I am guessing by then on any given day that the ability to fill some requests might be a bit "limited". I'm guessing that people who arrive in the morning have a better chance of getting something, because more options will be open to the cast member at the front desk.

best,

.............john

Patricia
08-15-2015, 10:44 AM
I have made room requests in the past online (moderate resort) and was only able to choose King or waterfront, but not both. I choose king. We arrived during the night and took what was available on the backside of the building. I explained the available online choices to the CM who put in both our requests and we were moved to king waterfront the next day. :thumbsup:

Pirate Granny
08-15-2015, 04:58 PM
DVC will not move you the next day, without YOU paying a cleaning fee. So there isn't enough time...check in on line and hope for the best. It's only a request, never a guarantee, except in your case specific bldg (Jambo or Kidadi), size of room, and either value, standard or Savanah view... ONly the member can contact disney or member services for anything...until you register when you arrive, then the front desk or resort cast members will try to assist. Hope you have a wonderful trip

LynneM
08-16-2015, 12:09 AM
Is the commercial service you used to rent points refusing to pass your requests along to the member? It's really not a problem for the member who made the reservation to add requests, I believe they can even send an e-mail to do it. When I've rented out my points through a commercial service, I wouldn't have hesitated to do that for my renters. It takes 5 minutes.

WiltonJohn
08-16-2015, 09:25 AM
Lynne,

No, the "points company" is NOT by any means refusing to do so. As I said above....... asking at the very last minute was, from MY point of view, an imposition. Hated to have to do that. And also I find the logic of the Disney policy to be completely illogical. I was hoping to avoid doing that. I did finally contact the company and they put thru the information and the member did put in the request for us.

best,

..................john

WiltonJohn
08-16-2015, 09:37 AM
THANK YOU to everyone for making the suggestions here. Appreciated.

best,

...................john