PDA

View Full Version : Episode 80 - Grandma?s Closet

John
08-10-2015, 04:00 PM
The Cast:* Christine Warner, Cindy Jachrimo, Michael Montanez, Gary O’Brien & John Yaglenski

- Weather Talk previals again!* Where do YOU keep your thermostat?
- Hampton Inn - John’s outgrown them. They look like Grandma’s Closet.
- Where do you stay? Michael wants stuff done for him.
- Christine’s trip to Disneyland - lots to go over in a short time.
- Lightning round of favorites.
- What’s your Disney age?
- Churro discussion - Christine got a bad churro.
- D23
- Changes coming to Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Take It or Leave It - Short Trips.* Christine says no. John leaves it. Michael takes it with conditions. Gary leaves it - we think. Cindy takes it!
- Myrtle Beach and Ocean City crazy crowds.
- Star Wars stuff coming to Disney’s Hollywood Studios - maybe soon to be Disney’s Hollywood Adventure. Lots of changes ahead.
- Shanghai Disneyland
- Quick hit topics, Epcot breakfast. DVC Expansion at Wilderness Lodge. Disney Quest closing. TCM changes to Great Movie Ride.

More... (http://intercot.podbean.com/e/episode-80-grandmas-closet/)

John
08-10-2015, 04:07 PM
If you are having problems downloading - podbean (our host) is having an issue due to an amazon web services outage - should be resolved soon (8/10/15 - 4:00pm et)

disneykidsince1970
08-11-2015, 11:52 AM
Hi Guys! So excited to listen to a new podcast - I just got back from a week at the World and this is the perfect medication for my serious vaca-withdrawal! THANK YOU!!!

Off to listen...:mickey:

PS - Christine! I was thinking of you and John as I stood in line for sandwiches at the Celebration Publix last week. :) I am trying to get back for F&W in Oct/November... maybe we can do a meet up!

Mendelson
08-11-2015, 12:38 PM
I'm just brainstorming here, and maybe you've done some of these, but since you asked for Take It or Leave It....

Waiting longer for the front (or back) seat of a ride.
Doing single rider even when traveling with a group/family
Hoop-Dee-Do Review
Picking a resort solely for.... pool/restaurant/monorail access, etc
Memory Maker
Making faces/doing funny things for on-ride pictures
Making a special trip just for one particular snack. Like just going to AKL to get a zebra dome (I started a semi-popular thread on this a few years ago http://www.intercot.com/discussion/archive/index.php?t-194607.html)
Taking a non-believer on your trip (with aspirations of converting)
Staying for late night hours...say, 3am.
Land and sea - WDW and then a cruise (or a cruise and then WDW)
A day to resort hop
A trip with no (or virtually no) sit down meals to save money but mostly time and explore the quality CS places (and there are many)
Doing three things on a trip you've never done before (TSI, Liberty Bell, Country Bears, Ellen, movie in Canada...whatever)
4 parks, one day

cer
08-11-2015, 01:56 PM
Alrighty.

I'm currently at the break and I must say I am excited to hear your take-it-or-leave-it responses. It is so timely as we are having this discussion at our home... is it "worth it" for a weekend or a long weekend trip or maybe not the weekend, but a much shorter trip?

(Note: the only shorter trips we have ever taken were event related - runDisney event related.)

Looking forward to it!

:thumbsup:

dpamac
08-12-2015, 11:13 AM
I think I actually took it. The lack of time forces a looser set of expectations. It's impossible to do everything so you just do what you really want and then kind of...let it go. I think that''s it. Yeah. I'm sticking with that.

disneykidsince1970
08-12-2015, 07:15 PM
so - after listening to the discussion, I see the question as more "winging it or not winging it" vs. short/quick trips or not.

I just got back from a week of almost ZERO plans. We were there in Feb and had sprung for a tour guide so we had already decided that b/c of that cost, the heat and the crowds....there is NO way that we were going into the parks.

We stayed at Old Key West with a 2 night add-on at POR thanks to United's mechanical difficulties. The big plan was pressed pennies, pool-hopping, cupcake eating, arcade reviewing.

We had 1 ADR only (Beaches n Cream for the famous kitchen sink but what a waste... :sick: ) We also took advantage of the FREE DVC party at Typhoon Lagoon one night (from 7p - 12a).

The kids loved not feeling pushed all the time (they are 8 and 10 and love the parks but they get sick of the "hurry up!!") We totally chilled. We walked around, did a lot of pressed pennies, hit 4 arcades!, did 4 pools!, the surrey bikes, we laughed in the pool, we hung out and had bloody Mary's at the Grand Fla pool, we reminisced about the "good ol' days of Disney", complained about the horrific coffee (it looked like watered down Coke), gave some friendly, constructive feedback to needy cast members (I just cannot help myself), we ate a lot of bad, cheap pizza and my kids almost turned into chicken nuggets... but we didn't care. On the last night - we even stayed in and watched the Disney Channel. :) Basically...we did a lot of the "free" stuff...like we did when we were kids.

...and it was AWESOME.

*We also did some recon for a future 50th bday party at the Poly bungalows and snuck a quick peek at Trader Sam's. yippee!

conan617
08-16-2015, 12:24 AM
I noticed a very odd coincidence while listening.
John's Michael Eisner impression "we need more characters" is very similar to his old woman who scolded "it's not a boardroom fellas".

When I realized this I had an image of Eisner in drag scolding people on cell phones. I guess he/she would know what is and what isn't a boardroom.

Yungbuck73
08-19-2015, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the shout out. Glad we could help spawn a take it or leave it segment.
Our trip was Friday night till Tuesday afternoon. We stayed off property at Orangelake Resort which we own a timeshare.
We had only planned to do parks on Saturday and Monday and we took a nice pool day on Sunday with some local friends.
We did plan our days out with having only 30 days to book our FP + but we got Dwarfs, space mountain and BTTRR all before 2pm. Then we booked individual FP+ as we went along and still go to FP 5 other attractions.
The other day at the parks we started at AK AND HAD FP+ for safari, Dinosaur, and Everest all before noon. Then we went over to DHS and had lunch and still were able to catch a few rides. We then went over and met up with Melanie, Christine, Cindy and a about 10 more intercottes at The Wave. We then had dinner at CALI GRILL.
It was a quick trip, but it was worth it. We do a few short trips a year, not as quick as this one, but it is always fun. We do the week long trips too. Both are awesome.
Thanks again and can't wait to finish this podcast and the Special one that just got posted.

TikiLounger
07-10-2017, 09:05 AM
Okay, I know that it's a little late to be commenting on a podcast from 2015, but I've only recently started listening, so please bear with me. I listen while running and although I'm trying to be organized and catch up on all the podcasts in sequence, the "Grandma's Closet" title caught my eye the other day, so I chose it from the feed. I really enjoyed it (as always) but it's pretty funny that, now, I'm paranoid about my house looking like Grandma's Closet. My house is very old (built in 1740) and my husband and I like antiques. When I was finished with my run and walked in my back door, I looked around and thought, "Oh no! My house looks like Grandma's Closet!" hahahaha! Too funny....

John
07-10-2017, 10:09 AM
First of all - glad you found us and apparently Grandma's Closet! We love new listeners!

Keep the comments coming and tell a few friends about us!

TikiLounger
07-12-2017, 08:29 AM
Thanks! I'm glad I finally started listening. I seriously don't know what took me so long!

I'll do my best to get the word out there!