PDA

View Full Version : Non theme park meal for night one?

Dulcee
08-10-2015, 01:12 PM
Give me a suggestion for a meal for night one of our vacation. Needs to be non theme park. We won't have park tickets that day. DH and I would normally do Ohana but we booked this trip to late to get a decent time (9:50pm will not work with a 18 month old). Trip is myself, DH, DS (1), DM, DF and my sister (23). Parents and sister haven't been in 10 years but are huge huge disney fans.

Want something to kick this vacation off right and I'm stumped on what to go with that will still have availability.

Fangorn
08-10-2015, 02:13 PM
It does depend on your tastes, but here are a couple of suggestions:

Olivia's at Old Key West. Great food, great atmosphere and after dinner you can take the boat over to Downtown Disney and wander around for a bit.

Boatwrights at Port Orleans Riverside - One of our favorite places. ADR's are almost never needed (but do it anyway). The Pimento Cheese fritters are killer. From Riverside, you can also catch a boat to Downtown Disney.

Kona Café at the Poly is also a great option if you want to stay in the MK area.

Steve

Itchy
08-10-2015, 02:14 PM
On our first night we are going to the Wave at the Contemporary Resort. Great food and service. We have also gone to Raglan Rd at DTD. It has good food and service but might be a bit noisy for the little one. Boatwright at Port Orleans Riverside is good as well and we will be dining there on our last day..

Hope this helps...:mickey:

EeyoresBestFriend
08-10-2015, 02:53 PM
There are soooo many good options outside the parks.

These are a few of our favourites:

Boma, Jiko - Animal Kingdom Lodge
Raglan Road, Paradiso 37 - Downtown Disney
Boatwrights - Port Orleans Riverside
Hoop de Doo - Fort Wilderness

Have fun choosing :D

4disneynuts
08-10-2015, 03:00 PM
You should try Whispering Canyon Cafe at Wilderness Resort. The food is awesome and it is really fun and upbeat there. This is a tradition for us every time we go this is our first night meal. If you love ribs, chicken, pulled pork and all the fixins they have the Skillet which is served family style all you can eat, right down to the corn bread. Its one of our favorites!

SBETigg
08-10-2015, 03:06 PM
I would choose a resort restaurant, like Sanaa at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Good food, and a chance to explore the resort and do some animal viewing. It could also be a good time to explore the new options at Downtown Disney like the Boathouse.

Pally
08-10-2015, 07:10 PM
Grand Floridian Cafe is always a good choice. Here you may be able to see the pianist or band while you are there. We also like Boma. Here you can go early and look around at the different viewing areas for the animals. Very nice. :mickey:

faline
08-10-2015, 07:21 PM
There are so many non-park options, it's hard to know where to begin. You've already gotten some excellent opions.

Some of my favorite non-park restaurants include: California Grill, Narcoosees's, Jikos, amd Yachtsman's Steak House. For something on the more moderate side price-wise, you might think about the ESPN Club at Boardwalk. For something good and not at all pricey, you could think about EArl of Sandwich at Disney Springss.

kpen625
08-10-2015, 08:07 PM
These are all amazing choices!! What about Kona Cafe, you still get the atmosphere of the Polynesian and the food there is great!!

Have a great trip!!!

Kairi_7378
08-10-2015, 08:19 PM
We love resort dining! I would consider the CA Grill (for Disney park views, not to be beat!), Artist's Point (subtle theming and elegance) or Sanaa (theming and animals.)

CleveSJM
08-11-2015, 08:06 AM
With availability is the toughest part. Fantastic recommendations so far. I would probably start off with Disney Springs. Plan on Earl of Sandwich or a Wolfgang Puck pizza with a stop at Ghiradelli's for sure. A little shopping or at least ideas/prices for the rest of the trip... Boat ride...

If a sit down is really desired, Olivia's at OKW is my go to. Usually always available and never disappointed. Then the boat ride to Disney Springs... :mickey:

JanetMegan
08-11-2015, 08:19 AM
I was having the same dilemma but we are actually going to go over to Fort Wilderness and eat at the Trail's End buffet. It's a little cheaper and usually not very crowded.

TinkerbellT421
08-11-2015, 09:43 AM
I would choose Cape May Cafe at the Beach Club.

Then you can spend some of your night after dinner strolling over to the Boardwalk and watching the night time entertainment or maybe even watch a little bit of the movie on the beach right outside the Beach Club. Maybe spend some time poking around the gift shops, etc. You can also see a little bit of the Illuminations fireworks from the bridge that crosses over from the Beach Club to the Boardwalk. I love strolling around that area on our first night, puts me right into Disney Magic. :cloud9:

#1donaldfan
08-12-2015, 05:15 PM
Trails End Buffet is my all time favorite !! Fulton's and Portobello's at DtD would be a great way to kick-start a vacation !! :mickey:

tjstrike
08-12-2015, 08:46 PM
Our trip in December starts with a dinner at Cape may at BC. 1900 park fare at the Grand Floridian, Rain forest cafe in DTD, Big river grill at the Boardwalk, House of blues in DTD. Lots to choose from.

cinderellagrl
08-16-2015, 12:42 PM
I vote for Whispering Canyon! A very fun way to start off our trip! Be warned, it can get quite noisy!

My second vote would be Cape May. Love it there and plenty to do and see in the area without having to enter a park.

deedee73
08-17-2015, 01:21 AM
My top few choices besides 'Ohana would be Hoop Dee Doo, Cape May at BC and Olivia's. I have only eaten at Olivia's for bfast & lunch but the thought of eating there then wandering about, maybe hoping a boat to DTD sounds good. Same regarding Cape May and hanging out on the Boardwalk & you could see part of the higher fireworks from Illuminations. The Hoop Dee Doo is so much fun. Everyone always loves this meal & good time. There are so many good eats in DTD - but not so sure any of them scream Disney like you seem to be desiring.

Personally IMO nothing gets me more immersed into Disney than seeing the Electrical Water Pageant & Wishes so I would try for that even if it means an earlier meal somewhere and waiting about. Remember if Ohana is really desired - keep checking bc people change plans & cancel all the time.