PDA

View Full Version : Am I stressing too much?

Stu29573
08-05-2015, 12:16 PM
Ok, I admit it, I'm a worrier. However, having admitted that fact, I find myself approaching my family's upcoming December dream vacation with dread. This will be my 8th time to WFW (my grandkid's first) and I have never felt this way before. It seems like the entire process has gotten SO complex (especially FP+) that instead of promising eight carefree days of child-like fun, now I just see rushing for appointments, worrying about not maximizing our time, being concerned with my grandkids missing out on something because I "didn't do it right." I am somewhat heartbroken. Am I stessing too much, or should this really be my last trip?

Mendelson
08-05-2015, 12:30 PM
You only feel as much pressure as you allow yourself to feel.
Confucius

Okay, I just made that up, but seriously, it's a vacation...relax and have fun. You are no doubt putting pressure on yourself because you feel a responsibility for your grandkids to have a great trip. But it's really not that complex. Once I booked our fastpasses before the trip, the rest was a breeze and I in no way felt stressed. Sure, the kids are going to miss out on some stuff because there is so much to do, but with eight days they are going to get a fantastic vacation and take home lots of memories. When you look back, you want to remember enjoying it with them, not worrying about an itinerary.

Have a general idea for what you want to do for each day going in, recognize that if you deviate a bit it's fine, and know that everyone will have a great time.

disneymom15
08-05-2015, 12:42 PM
You only feel as much pressure as you allow yourself to feel.
Confucius

Okay, I just made that up, but seriously, it's a vacation...relax and have fun. You are no doubt putting pressure on yourself because you feel a responsibility for your grandkids to have a great trip. But it's really not that complex. Once I booked our fastpasses before the trip, the rest was a breeze and I in no way felt stressed. Sure, the kids are going to miss out on some stuff because there is so much to do, but with eight days they are going to get a fantastic vacation and take home lots of memories. When you look back, you want to remember enjoying it with them, not worrying about an itinerary.

Have a general idea for what you want to do for each day going in, recognize that if you deviate a bit it's fine, and know that everyone will have a great time.

Totally agree with Mendelson!

1DisneyNut
08-05-2015, 12:57 PM
Ok, I admit it, I'm a worrier. However, having admitted that fact, I find myself approaching my family's upcoming December dream vacation with dread. This will be my 8th time to WFW (my grandkid's first) and I have never felt this way before. It seems like the entire process has gotten SO complex (especially FP+) that instead of promising eight carefree days of child-like fun, now I just see rushing for appointments, worrying about not maximizing our time, being concerned with my grandkids missing out on something because I "didn't do it right." I am somewhat heartbroken. Am I stessing too much, or should this really be my last trip?

I feel your pain. We have been putting off a trip back to WDW ever since FP+ started. We have an event to attend there this fall. I am in planning stages now and my FP+ window will be coming up in less than 2 months. I have been dreading having to set up a trip because it is such a pain in the rear now.

If we didn't have the event, we still would not be going.

It annoys me that we have to pre-plan what park we will visit and pick times for rides 2 months ahead of time without having any idea what the weather or crowds will be like. That, however, is not the worst part. For me, the fact that I will have pre-determined times and deadlines to meet while on vacation introduces worry and anxiety into what is supposed to be a vacation. I deal with that mess all day long every day with work and I don't need it on my vacation.

I never would have thought that I would dread going to WDW like I do but they managed to make it a dreadful experience.

NewDVCowner
08-05-2015, 01:22 PM
It annoys me that we have to pre-plan what park we will visit and pick times for rides 2 months ahead of time without having any idea what the weather or crowds will be like. That, however, is not the worst part. For me, the fact that I will have pre-determined times and deadlines to meet while on vacation introduces worry and anxiety into what is supposed to be a vacation. I deal with that mess all day long every day with work and I don't need it on my vacation.

This.

For a long time I've been trying to articulate my feelings towards FP+. I keep seeing arguments about how great it is and how it's really not that different from the old FP system and it's just a matter of getting used to the new way, but that just didn't jive with how I felt. I used FP+ twice, and both times I just felt like I was stuck with a schedule. I was constantly checking the time and foregoing getting in line for one thing because I didn't think that I would be able to make my FP time if I did that other ride. It felt overschedule and very much that I had a series of appointments that I couldn't miss. I spent most of the trip stressing about getting places.

i'm grumpy
08-05-2015, 01:25 PM
We hated FPP, but still had a good time. I'd say don't spend a lot of time trying to change your FPs.

PopPhan
08-05-2015, 01:53 PM
I am not trying to be a "smart aleck" but you really do not HAVE to plan everything out. You can still go and be spontaneous. Granted, you might miss out on some of the "E-Ticket" rides, but who is to say that they won't be down for rehab at that time?

Do what you can to make sure you and your party will have a good time, schedules be *bleeped* (self-censoring there! LOL)

If this is your grand kids first visit, I can guarantee you that any schedule you come up with will be shot within 30 minutes. Try to hit the major attractions, but let the grand kid lead as much as possible. You maximize your time by getting full enjoyment out of your family, not by hitting everything in every park.

I had big plans for when I took my sister down for her first visit back in May, but the way things played out, we didn't do over half of what I had planned. We still had a blast and she has told me that she would actually like to visit again someday. THAT was a successful and enjoyable visit!!!!

WiltonJohn
08-05-2015, 01:56 PM
I think the general atmosphere on this forum has unfortunately been impacted recently by all the 'Disney Naysayers' a lot, and if you spend much time reading all the negativity, that tends to stress you out about what you might experience.

My family is going shortly...... and I was getting a bit stressed from all the negative stuff I read here. But then I realized....... a lot of people like to complain... and the complainers can often be loud and very persistent. Their comments end up in a lot of threads... and the feeling of doom just seems to be "everywhere".

But when people are relatively happy...... unfortunately they don't spend a lot of time sitting there and writing posts that express that. They are busy enjoying themselves. They don't feel a need to "vent" someplace.

Given the VAST number of people Disney deals with almost 24/7/365, who often have expectations created in their heads which are difficult to fulfill, and given the complexity of running the operation,.... they do a pretty darn good job.

Does Disney have issues? Sure. Nothing is perfect. Can you have a blast at Disney World? Yes.

Your vacation will have GREAT moments. Will there be some disappointments? Yup. But those disappointments only affect you as much as you LET them impact the trip. If you expect it to be "Perfect" ..... with a capital "P"...... you for sure will be disappointed.

When you go looking for problems, you tend to find them. When you go looking for the good stuff....... you tend to find that also.

Last trip my wife and I had a couple less than "Disney Moments". When they were alerted to that fact when we returned, Disney Customer Service made "nice-nice" about it very generously and professionally and politely. And because those "Not Disney Moments" actually happened last time....... a couple spectacular "Disney Moments" happened right afterward as a consequence to help deal with the situation right then.

John Lennon was a wise man with his "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans" comment. Lay out a basic ground work in your planning... and then "go with the flow" of the moment. If you feel like it at the time.... for gosh sake..... skip a bloomin' FastPass+........ it won't kill anyone....and if you didn't WANT to do that particular thing right then....... then you are not missing anything. If that particular attraction is important to you later.... then maybe show up early or late to get on it without a Fastpass+. If you HAVE to do it...... you CAN find a way.

It might even mean standing in a line....... but if after all it is THAT important.... you can stand in a line.

After all, it is really all about you and the FAMILY and being together (and particularly the grandkids!). Enjoy the family moments. Use as your yardstick the # of smiles and laughs... not the # of attractions visited. Let the kids play in the water sprinklers. Interact with the street performers. Eat cool stuff. They (and you) will have a blast.

best,

.................john

wilcat
08-05-2015, 02:08 PM
We are going in September and only got FP+ for one day and that is a first for us. We never have used FP before and never have we needed to. If we don't get to ride everything, there is always the next time. I don't like to sweat the small stuff. Just being at WDW is enough for us and we have a ball every time we go. Your grandkids are going to love just being able to be there and spend time with you. Take a deep breath and go have fun! Your grandkids are going to love it!

Mendelson
08-05-2015, 02:19 PM
So, not to make light of people's concerns, Stu, but there's your answer in these responses. It's all in what you make of it and the attitude you take.

I'm not saying that people who don't like the new system don't have valid complaints nor will I dismiss them as complainers. In some ways I agree with them. But if A. you are indeed taking this vacation and B. FPP is in place, then the way to really not worry about it...is to not worry about it. :-)

GoBlueLacheta
08-05-2015, 02:20 PM
I'd say 10 and under probably don't even remember if you used a FP+ or grasp the concept of what is really going on when it comes to planning anything. Kids love controlled chaos. There are certain things that are a must when it comes to planning yes character dining and Ohana need a ADR and getting a FP+ for the newest E-ticket at each park is probably smart, but 3 each day for 5 or 6 days is not always necessary and you can book them and if you don't use them you don't lose anything.

Outline your day, don't make minute by minute itinerary's, your grandkids won't be thinking about what they "missed" they are going to remember what they experienced. Don't treat the vacation as a big checklist of dozens or rides of attractions but enjoy the moment and like others have mentioned just create the memories.

Stu29573
08-05-2015, 02:35 PM
Thanks, everyone. I'm going to try to not stress. I'm hoping that once we are there, the "magic" will kick in. Heck, it may be as simple as getting past the dreaded FP+ sign up date. With a party of 6 with different ages and interests, I really can't picture how that is going to work... Ok, breathe, Stu...

minnie04
08-05-2015, 04:09 PM
@WILTONJOHN!! :joy::joy:That's what I was thinking too..I'm glad you wrote it. The best way to plan your trip is get all the grand kids that are going and ask them what they would like to do. Pick a park and have them pick 3 rides they really want to ride. If the ages are all over the place than split the rides. I have done this with my passes. This way everyone feels they are getting on the rides they want. Take your time and decide what times are best for you and the kids. Again that's what we do I know we aren't morning people so nothing before noon (ever) What ever rides are left either get new FP's or wait the lines. Once the kids get the rides they really want they are happy and willing to ride whatever. DON'T STRESS IT!!! the kids are going to have fun no matter what. When we traveled with our team of 13 boys, they were happy just to be together and run around the hotel and parks. We never had fast passes and they had just as much fun.

etibbetts
08-05-2015, 04:16 PM
It can be very stressful trying to plan it, but the way I look at it is that it's just there if it falls into my plans for the day. I make them ahead of time with a best guess of what park we will be in and what time we might be in that area. If we are great, if not I'll try to move it. I'm not going to let a FP dictate where I need to be. We always go in September and before FP+ we were lucky to use 1-2 paper FP, so having the option for 3 is already more than I'd ever use historically. My first trip with it last year I was stressed, but once I got there, I just went with the flow and really liked having FP+. Just make the best of it and remember that you will be in Disney World!!!

Pirate Granny
08-05-2015, 07:22 PM
Granted our DGC a have gone numerous times...but we took them without their parents this year, they were both 8 years old. They each picked three restaurants and collaborated about which FP+ they wanted. I only over ruled once...I wanted Peter pan and they didn't...ten days, so I got that one ride I wanted...smile. It was truly a wonderful trip. Just ask the kids what they want to do, pick a park for each day...and the FP+ isn't that bad. We mostly had them after lunch. Put the three you want in the system and select the times closest that you want...then after you are done, you can go back in and adjust the times to better meet your needs. Just remember they can't overlap.nit does take time, but truly isn't that bad. In 2014 we had 10 people for 14 days....worked out perfectly

Sylvia
08-05-2015, 08:21 PM
We usually don't plan FP+'s in advance, but 7DMT and Peter Pan are at the top of our list, so we have 3 FP+'s for each, planned around lunch/dinner. Most of our vacation will be an adventure because we enjoy "winging it" and enjoying all of the magic around us.

Don't stress; there are many great suggestions here. You'll have a wonderful time and make many beautiful memories.

Stu29573
08-05-2015, 10:11 PM
Thanks, everyone! I'm trying!:mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
08-06-2015, 12:03 AM
Stu, hope I can help you with that stress...

It's no secret I don't like the new system... I think it is absolutely stupid to make ride reservations... I feel the money wasted on FP+ and MyMagic+ could have been used better... But let's face it, it would have been used for management bonuses and new Escalades, or a new home in Golden Oak instead... Anyway...

As I posted previously, I made a last second trip July 13 to July 18... I seriously made my hotel reservations maybe 2 weeks prior... Like I said, this trip was a last second decision... And going to the parks was even more last second... originally, we weren't going to do any of the WDW parks... Our original plans were to just do Universal, but a friend of ours couldn't come through... Oh well...

After deciding to do just two days of WDW parks, and picking Epcot and MK, I knew or at least convinced myself I wouldn't be getting any good FP options... But I didn't let myself get stressed out.. I knew I was making very last second plans... Well, for Epcot, I still secured a FP for Soarin... Unfortunately for Epcot, the park has very little worthy of FP... But regardless, I secured a Soarin FP... I was also able to secure, for MK: Splash Mountain, BTMRR, and Space Mountain... Only a week before the trip... I was also able to secure a breakfast ADR for Kona, and a same day ADR for lunch at Nine Dragons (not that an ADR was needed... the place was empty and would accommodate all walk ups I'm sure)...

At MK, after my three were used, I was able to secure a 4th FP for Buzz Lightyear and a 5th FP for Peter Pan... In Epcot, I was unable to secure a 4th FP for Test Track, but did score one for Living With the Land... BTW, I didn't even need a FP for 7D... I waited no longer than 30 minutes, and that was right around noon... May have actually waited 20, not 30...

I would say relax... Don't stress.. Nothing in life is worth stressing yourself out over, especially Walt Disney World... If booking a WDW stresses you out, time to rethink going to WDW...

Stu29573
08-06-2015, 07:02 AM
Thanks! I've been monitoring crowd levels as they relate to wait times on TP, and it seems that even at level 9, wait times are ok, except for the really really popular E tickets. The first half of our trip should have very low crowd levels, while the second half has levels of 8-9 (10 on our last day!) I'm planning to hit the E tickets the first few days, and use the last days as opportunities to redo the best. I guess I should really focus on those last days FP+ the most! I'm even considering getting FP+ for Fantasmic and the Christmas parade. Does that seem like a good idea?

mrte62
08-06-2015, 09:55 AM
One of the many reasons I like these boards is the honesty. Some of those who post nothing but Disney can do no wrong call it negativity. As a Type A theme park commando, I feel your pain. However, you need to get to the point whereby, you can take a deep breath and say I have planned and done all that I can do. Things will be out of your control while on the trip -learn to go with the flow.

I am sure everyone could provide you with a story (and you probably have some too) when some unexpected happens that becomes the highlight or special memory of the trip.

With that said, here is my post after our trip to WDW last October regarding the FP+ system:

I will give this a shot:

5 of us from 10/3 through 10/13. DW and I plus three of our young adults 26, 24 & 21. We stayed off site.

10/4 AK, 10/6 EPCOT, 10/7 MK/EPCOT, 10/8 EPCOT, 10/9 BB/MNSSHP, 10/10 EPCOT, 10/11 HS and 10/12 AK/EPCOT

Overall FP+ impressions:

1) Overall, neutral to negative and depended on the park.

2) In declining order: MK, AK, EPCOT and HS.

3) As mentioned elsewhere, FP+ really highlights the need for more E ticket attractions. Also as previously noted, there are now lines at attractions that in the past had little or nor waits.

3) Did not like that once you used your 3 FPs, you could only add the next one at a kiosk, in the park you were at. Saw more than one family realize that if you had a FP for Fantasmic or Illuminations, you were done with FP for the day.

4) The MDE app made the crowds move like the old days at Kmart chasing the Blue Light Special. Once it showed a wait time of 20 minutes or less, an entire herd would descend on that attraction.

5) CMs were quite helpful in the Kiosk lines which moved quickly.

6) Found ourselves crossing parks just to use that precious FP.

7) We did appreciate how the green glowing mickey stopped most of the abuse of the system and the CMs. Multiple times a day you would see some group upset that they could not see why they wouldn't be let through the FP line. "So what if our time doesn't start for another 15 minutes, I paid good money to get on this ride."

8) We really did feel over planned.

9) Could never get a DMT FP - had to wait to 11 pm on the 9th (30 minutes) during MNSSHP to ride.

10) Had FPs for Toy Story on the 11th. Standby all day was at least 75 minutes.

11) No, we did not spend any more $$$ because all of the "free time".

12) We were constantly being asked to participate in surveys about everything from food, to shows, special events and attractions. Not one question about FP+.

Did we have a great time? Of course. Did we feel rushed and waited in longer lines? Yes.
___

CanadaLovesDisney
08-06-2015, 01:16 PM
Our most recent trip was two days and we did all four parks. This was the first trip for one member of our party and he had an absolute riot! We had FPP and ADR all planned out but got caught up doing things we loved and missed some of our fast pass plus selections - no big deal! I wish I had known that you cant book more fast passes once yours expire over the mydisneyexperience app. I wasted time trying to get more fast passes through that so don't bother! Overall I would say not much has changed for us. Of course if you want to get on toy story mania or seven dwarfs mine train you are going to really want fast pass unless you want to wait forever in line. But that's up to you!
You do your trip the way YOU want too.
Have fun :mickey:

Airblue1
08-06-2015, 01:37 PM
Nope.
Higher prices
Meeting more time dead lines.
The whimsical Disney vacation is no longer an option.
The best part is the vacation is for your
children and they won't feel your stressed.
Take bunches of photos b/c at the end u will
have awesome memories!!

TheVBs
08-06-2015, 04:40 PM
Can't offer any better than the great advice that's already been given! Just wanted to say that I'm an anxious person too and tend to stress over trips, no matter where we're going. Keep up those deep breaths! You will have a wonderful time!

azcavalier
08-06-2015, 04:43 PM
I haven't read anyone's responses, just looked at the title of the thread. My answer would be:

Yes, because it's not life or death. It's vacation. Just enjoy it.

Priority Four
08-07-2015, 11:13 AM
I felt the same way before our last trip. New system. I'm a planner. It really was fine. It will be great. It's Disney!

Disney Doll
08-07-2015, 10:30 PM
I think the general atmosphere on this forum has unfortunately been impacted recently by all the 'Disney Naysayers' a lot, and if you spend much time reading all the negativity, that tends to stress you out about what you might experience.

My family is going shortly...... and I was getting a bit stressed from all the negative stuff I read here. But then I realized....... a lot of people like to complain... and the complainers can often be loud and very persistent. Their comments end up in a lot of threads... and the feeling of doom just seems to be "everywhere".

But when people are relatively happy...... unfortunately they don't spend a lot of time sitting there and writing posts that express that. They are busy enjoying themselves. They don't feel a need to "vent" someplace.

Given the VAST number of people Disney deals with almost 24/7/365, who often have expectations created in their heads which are difficult to fulfill, and given the complexity of running the operation,.... they do a pretty darn good job.

Does Disney have issues? Sure. Nothing is perfect. Can you have a blast at Disney World? Yes.

Your vacation will have GREAT moments. Will there be some disappointments? Yup. But those disappointments only affect you as much as you LET them impact the trip. If you expect it to be "Perfect" ..... with a capital "P"...... you for sure will be disappointed.

When you go looking for problems, you tend to find them. When you go looking for the good stuff....... you tend to find that also.

Last trip my wife and I had a couple less than "Disney Moments". When they were alerted to that fact when we returned, Disney Customer Service made "nice-nice" about it very generously and professionally and politely. And because those "Not Disney Moments" actually happened last time....... a couple spectacular "Disney Moments" happened right afterward as a consequence to help deal with the situation right then.

John Lennon was a wise man with his "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans" comment. Lay out a basic ground work in your planning... and then "go with the flow" of the moment. If you feel like it at the time.... for gosh sake..... skip a bloomin' FastPass+........ it won't kill anyone....and if you didn't WANT to do that particular thing right then....... then you are not missing anything. If that particular attraction is important to you later.... then maybe show up early or late to get on it without a Fastpass+. If you HAVE to do it...... you CAN find a way.

It might even mean standing in a line....... but if after all it is THAT important.... you can stand in a line.

After all, it is really all about you and the FAMILY and being together (and particularly the grandkids!). Enjoy the family moments. Use as your yardstick the # of smiles and laughs... not the # of attractions visited. Let the kids play in the water sprinklers. Interact with the street performers. Eat cool stuff. They (and you) will have a blast.

best,

.................john
This! I was a bit worried myself after reading all the complaints on here, but we've had two trips with fp+ and it was fine. Don't sweat it! Make a general plan for where you want to be each day, make some fastpasses, but know that you can change your mind and wasting a fastpass isn't the end of the world.

Another thing I've learned after organizing many an extended family trip is to not accept responsibility for planning everything for everyone. I go with the, here's what I have planned, you are welcome to join me or not, attitude and it's worked well!

EeyoresBestFriend
08-11-2015, 12:30 PM
We've taken a lot of folks down for their first times at WDW.

My personal expectations were what caused me the most stress. I know it is easier said than done, but try not to stress out about making sure that everyone enjoys it as much as you do. I felt personally responsible if someone didn't seem to be having fun or wanted to do something different. Your grandkids may enjoy hanging out at the resort and swimming rather than going to a park for all that you have set up. First timers have no concept of what you have gone through with planning up to this point.

Either way, I hope you are able to take a deep breath, remember that you are all together in a magical place and be in the moment - whatever it is. :thumbsup:

twinboyz
08-12-2015, 11:38 AM
try to relax.. easier said than done.. I know.:blush: However, it is what you make of it.

My kids are 16 now, but someday I hope to plan a trip just like you are doing for the kids/grandkids. We know there is so much that you want them to enjoy, go ahead, and plan what you can. Like other posters have said... to some degree let them lead the way! They may see Pooh and want to run to him even though you are on your way to a reservation. Stop and take the time. You won't regret it in the long run. I have pictures of bouncing with Tigger when they were 2 and I remember how freaked out I was that we were going to be late to the Indiana Jones show. I now look at those pictures and smile because it made them so happy to be bouncing with Tigger. Well worth the last minutes seats at the show.;)

We are lucky enough to do all the crazy planning and make all the reservations and quite often, miss out on a few FP's and cancel a few dining reservations with no regrets.

Still love going to WDW every year and will continue to go back. I wish you a very enjoyable trip and hope everything works out the way you want it to. Stay positive!!:mickey: