PDA

View Full Version : Resort Failures/Successes

wjdoc
08-04-2015, 04:34 PM
So I guess I'm just bored but I was just wondering what everyone thought the biggest success and biggest failure was in regards to the modern (non big 3 classic) Disney's resorts (DVC or otherwise). I suspect that a lot of people see the Ploy bungalows as a fail, but I'm just curious overall of what everyone's opinion is. It certainly looks to me like the animal kingdom lodge and villas didn't become the next high end deluxe that they originally hoped. And I am seriously questioning this idea of wilderness lodge water cabins... But I guess I need to wait and see.

Here is my take:

Biggest Fail: Sarasota Springs. I think they forgot about the disadvantages of a huge spread out resort (ie CBR) vs keeping things more centralized.

Biggest Success: Adding the BLT to the Contemporary site. I know people tend to not like the design or think it doesn't contain enough Disney-ness, but that location can't be beat in terms of logistics.

chefmickey3
08-04-2015, 06:02 PM
I think the good thing about hotels in Disney is that there is something for everyone. While Saratoga Springs is not our favorite, we own SSR DVC and have stayed there three times. It offers a relaxed pace and when Downtown Disney is finished, an attractive location with the ability to walk to DD. I don't think I would call any of the resorts failures. We love AKL and I hope others don't come to love it as much as we do. I agree the bungalows seem a bit of a fail - way too much money or points to stay there and too much of a change to a classic. I miss the old lobby of the Poly. We also love BLT - both the location and how compact it is because they were able to build up not out. Interesting post - I am interested to see what other people think.

Basket Mommy
08-04-2015, 06:51 PM
As a DVC member who just tried to book a Poly bungalow today (for one night in January) and found nothing available, I don't know if the DVC Poly was a huge fail. I just needed one night, but I got nothing. I am disappointed that they cost so many points and I'll probably never be able to spend a whole week there, but if it's booked, I don't see how it's a huge fail. But why no 2 BRs? We're a family of 6 that never needs a 3 BR. We do just fine with a 2 BR if the den has both the pull out sofa and chair. I don't get why no 2 BRs were built at the Poly. Time will tell with the WL.

And I LOVE SSR. If it wasn't for SSR, the default resort when everything else I want is booked, I'd never get to go to WDW. Our DVC points are all at HHI, so the earliest I can book WDW is 7 months. SSR is always available, and I usually get a waitlist somewhere else, so I've only stayed at SSR once. I actually prefer the spread out plan of SSR and OKW when we drive our personal vehicle to WDW. I like parking right in front of the building, unloading and loading ourselves and not having to tip a bell person for each grocery bag (because tipping standards = $1 per bag handled.)

I personally LOVE Animal Kingdom Lodge. It's probably the #1 on my list of all WDW DVCs where we've stayed (no stays yet at VGF). My husband, however, hates AKL. He doesn't like that it's only near AK, and he thinks the bus rides from AKL to any other parks are too long. I like the ambiance of the villas, the animals, Boma, etc. He probably prefers the Boardwalk/Beach Club to anything else, because he loves being able to walk into Epcot, and the crab legs at Cape May. We've stayed at Beach Club more often than any other since joining DVC in 2008. My kids (ages 10, 12, 14 and 17) would all pick BLT as their favorite. It would probably be #2 on my list, but I hate the pool. It's always in the shade, and therefore always cold to me.

My #1 of all DVC properties is Hilton Head. It's where we own, and I just love it. I love HHI in general, though. We like the island so much that we just closed on a townhome there, so we'll really never stay at the Disney property again. We want to retire there when our youngest graduates high school, and we found a great deal on a foreclosure, so we went ahead and invested. I'm happy and sad, because I loved going "home" to Disney Hilton Head!

wjdoc
08-04-2015, 07:07 PM
I didn't mean for this to sound like a negative post. Obviously the worst room at the worst resort is still a place I'd want to stay any day of the week!

Fangorn
08-04-2015, 11:46 PM
But why no 2 BRs? We're a family of 6 that never needs a 3 BR. We do just fine with a 2 BR if the den has both the pull out sofa and chair. I don't get why no 2 BRs were built at the Poly.

They didn't build 1 or 2 BRs at Poly because, the number 1 most requested type of accommodation, by far, is a studio. The Poly will have 360 studios when everything is complete. For reference, VGF has less than 50 studios, BCV has about 100 and OKW has around 200. To accommodate those folks that need to sleep up to 10, ALL of the Poly studios have connecting doors, which effectively lets you book 2 rooms and sleep up to 10 people, have 2 toilets and 4 showers. What you don't get is the full kitchen and the washer/dryer.

Obviously, this configuration doesn't fit everyone, but there are a lot of 2 BRs in the DVC system (over 400 at OKW alone). Studios, not so much.

Steve

VWL Mom
08-05-2015, 09:56 AM
As a DVC member who just tried to book a Poly bungalow today (for one night in January) and found nothing available, I don't know if the DVC Poly was a huge fail. I just needed one night, but I got nothing. I am disappointed that they cost so many points and I'll probably never be able to spend a whole week there, but if it's booked, I don't see how it's a huge fail.
Part of the reason for it being booked is that they have only released 10 into DVC inventory so far. Supposedly they are releasing more of both the bungalows and studios in correlation with sales which just aren't rolling in.

To accommodate those folks that need to sleep up to 10, ALL of the Poly studios have connecting doors, which effectively lets you book 2 rooms and sleep up to 10 people, have 2 toilets and 4 showers. What you don't get is the full kitchen and the washer/dryer.

Steve
The problem with this setup is they are not guaranteeing the connecting rooms. IMO they need to make a separate category for booking (similar to OKW HH) which will make people more comfortable.

Basket Mommy
08-05-2015, 05:11 PM
To accommodate those folks that need to sleep up to 10, ALL of the Poly studios have connecting doors, which effectively lets you book 2 rooms and sleep up to 10 people, have 2 toilets and 4 showers. What you don't get is the full kitchen and the washer/dryer.

The villa type rooms with kitchen and in-room laundry are the whole reason we bought into DVC. The first and only time we stayed in a Value, we hated it. If I wanted a bunch of connecting rooms with beds only and no kitchen (except for the fridge and microwave) or laundry, I'd just pay cash for a moderate and get connecting rooms. This logic makes no sense to me.

Part of the reason for it being booked is that they have only released 10 into DVC inventory so far. Supposedly they are releasing more of both the bungalows and studios in correlation with sales which just aren't rolling in.

Good to know. Maybe I'll go do a waitlist for a bungalow, then. Are there any released for those that want to pay the $2200 a night for them?

VWL Mom
08-05-2015, 06:11 PM
Are there any released for those that want to pay the $2200 a night for them?

It is my understanding that those units not declared into DVC inventory are being rented out for cash. The rates I've seen range from $2400 to $3400 depending on the season.

vickifuller09
08-06-2015, 09:57 AM
I'm new to all of this (just joined yesterday) where can I find a list of what all these "initials" stand for?

Basket Mommy
08-06-2015, 11:24 AM
I'm new to all of this (just joined yesterday) where can I find a list of what all these "initials" stand for?

Welcome to Intercot! I'm not sure where to find a list, but I can do a DVC (Disney Vacation Club, which is Disney's Timeshare program) one really quickly.

AKL - Animal Kingdom Lodge
BLT - Bay Lake Tower
BCV - Beach Club Villas
BWV - Boardwalk Villas
OKW - Old Key West
Poly - Polynesian
SSR - Saratoga Springs Resort
VGF - Villas at the Grand Floridian
VWL - Villas at the Wilderness Lodge

disneymom15
08-06-2015, 11:49 AM

Look under "info central" at the top here. Click on the first option in that pull down
"abbreviations, what it all means"

VWL Mom
08-06-2015, 11:57 AM

:welcome: to Intercot!

The abbreviation list can be found here (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/abbreviations/default.asp).

vickifuller09
08-06-2015, 03:56 PM
Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it very much.

disney obsessed
08-11-2015, 10:48 PM
Biggest success....akl

Biggest fail....cbr

PopPhan
08-12-2015, 07:24 AM

Under the Info Central tab above:

http://intercot.com/infocentral/abbreviations/default.asp

Hope this helps and....

:welcome: to INTERCOT!!!!!