PDA

View Full Version : Cecil the Lion

RAIDER
08-02-2015, 04:10 AM
Am reading this from across the pond and it's still news in Europe in general .. Is there as much outrage in the USA as there is here ?
Will Walter Palmer be extradited by the USA in your opinion ?

Pirate Granny
08-02-2015, 01:47 PM
Personally, I would hope not. He paid for a legitimate Safari, with an paid guide. IF the guide was not knowledgable or took him to a reserve that was not allowable for hunting, that wouldn't be his fault..the local guide should be charged.

BrerGnat
08-02-2015, 01:52 PM
Personally, I would hope not. He paid for a legitimate Safari, with an paid guide. IF the guide was not knowledgable or took him to a reserve that was not allowable for hunting, that wouldn't be his fault..the local guide should be charged.

Uh, not exactly. He paid to go trophy hunting. He didn't book a safari trip. He PAID the guides to get him a lion to kill. It is his responsibility to ensure the legality of the operation he chose to hire.

PirateLover
08-02-2015, 02:35 PM
To answer the question: Yes, there is a lot of outrage in the U.S. On my social media feeds, it's probably been the 2nd most shared/commented on story of the year. And the government was looking for him and finally spoke with him on Friday, haven't heard any details other than that

NJGIRL
08-02-2015, 02:36 PM
Am reading this from across the pond and it's still news in Europe in general .. Is there as much outrage in the USA as there is here ?

I hope he will be extradited and has to pay for his crime...... Even after he killed the lion and knew what he did was wrong, he threw away the tag and beheaded the lion....then he ask the so called guide to find him an elephant to kill.

I believe this isn't the first time he has been in trouble because of his "hunting" practices.

TheDuckRocks
08-02-2015, 03:01 PM
Is there as much outrage in the USA as there is here ?

Last night the Empire State Building lite it's top most floors in red, for the blood shed, and a lighted photo of Cecil on the remaining portion. Heck, yes, we're steamed. The extradition will be a iffy matter though unfortunately.

Pirate Granny
08-02-2015, 04:15 PM
Wow, I guess I'm out of touch...and didn't realize the full story...still, not sure how anyone would know how to identify from the USA a good and legal guide in Africa, from one that would break the rules. Could it be in panic that the cut off the tag...I agree that he was wrong, wrong wrong to behead the lion, and not sure about the hearsay elephant story. I am an animal lover, but truly think that this has gotten way out of hand...in some cases we don't extradite killers of humans; but we are going to send someone to Africa to face charges? I think the world has much bigger problems to resolve.

VWL Mom
08-02-2015, 05:32 PM
I am an animal lover, but truly think that this has gotten way out of hand...in some cases we don't extradite killers of humans; but we are going to send someone to Africa to face charges? I think the world has much bigger problems to resolve.
:ditto:

Last night the Empire State Building lite it's top most floors in red, for the blood shed, and a lighted photo of Cecil on the remaining portion.
To bad they didn't do this to honor of our servicemen that were gunned in TN last month or for that matter all or men and women that sacrifice themselves to protect our country everyday.

dnickels
08-02-2015, 06:56 PM
I believe this isn't the first time he has been in trouble because of his "hunting" practices.

He has a....
-2008 conviction in Wisconsin for lying to authorities about poaching a black bear outside of a permitted hunting area
-2003 misdemeanor conviction for fishing without a license in Minnesota and
[Not hunting related] -settled a 2005 sexual harassment complaint by paying $127,500 to a former employee out of court.

As the saying goes, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. Like drunk drivers, if he's been caught that many times he's performed the illegal acts at least 10x as much. Legitimately 'good and honest' people don't have this many black marks on their record. Obviously the death threats and such are so far out of bounds they're not worth discussing, but I do hope he gets extradited. I have a really hard time believing a man with this type of record didn't realize that what he was doing was at least a little bit sketchy if not outright illegal. At the very least, his ability to make a living with his profession has been completely destroyed as a result of his actions.

(And this comes from a person who grew up in a family of hunters, I hunted myself, but I vehemently hate 'trophy' hunters who kill animals to put on a wall rather than to eat)

NJGIRL
08-02-2015, 10:27 PM
I think the world has much bigger problems to resolve.

So unless you break the law on "a bigger problem" then you should just be able to get away with it? So if someone shoplifts they shouldn't be prosecuted because someone else was drunk driving? Where do you draw the line? He broke the law and now has to deal with the consequences. This is what's wrong with the world..no one is held accountable for their actions anymore. This man was a trophy hunter for a very long time....he knew exactly what was going on.....

Melanie
08-03-2015, 10:44 AM
:ditto:

To bad they didn't do this to honor of our servicemen that were gunned in TN last month or for that matter all or men and women that sacrifice themselves to protect our country everyday.

This!

garymacd
09-02-2015, 08:53 PM
(And this comes from a person who grew up in a family of hunters, I hunted myself, but I vehemently hate 'trophy' hunters who kill animals to put on a wall rather than to eat)
I have no problem with those who hunt for food and clothing and use almost all of the animal. Many of my (former) co-workers are hunters and fishers. They use almost the entire animal and very few have trophies mounted on their walls. I have enjoyed many wonderful meals of venison, moose and elk.

As for trophy hunters, I keep worrying that one day my head will be mounted on someone's wall!