PDA

View Full Version : Point use question

NewDVCowner
07-30-2015, 01:54 PM
I’m hoping someone here can explain this to me. I know that there are some rules about using DVC points and then if you cancel the reservation those points have been designated towards a certain thing and can only be used for that same thing when rebooking. I want to say it has something with using them at non-DVC property but I’m not 100% sure.

I own points at AKV. With those points every two to three years (depending on the time of year we’re traveling) we book two rooms - one two bedroom for most of the family and one studio for my sister and her husband. I bank the prior year, use the current year and (occasionally) borrow the third year. I’m getting ready to book a trip for August of next year (I’ll be booking in September).

Now, here’s the issue. My sister and her husband are going through a pretty rough patch right now. If I was to book the studio as we usually do (with banked or borrowed points) and then end up canceling it (my sister would stay in the two bedroom with the rest of the family) what happens to the banked/borrowed points that were used for the studio? Would I lose them? Would they be dedicated to be used a certain way? Or would I be able to use them for a separate trip just as I would have been able to use them if I hadn’t booked and canceled a DVC room with them.

I do understand that if it’s booked using the banked points I would need to use them that year or I’d lose them. I figure when I book the trip I’d make sure that the borrowed points go towards the two bedroom as I know that wouldn’t be canceled.

I have an April use year if that makes any sort of difference.

Thanks for all your help!

VWL Mom
07-30-2015, 02:09 PM
Not sure how many points you are banking/borrowing but you should be sure to have them allocate them to the 2 bedroom. If you book the studio using your Apr 2016 point and cancel at least 31 days out, those points will remain in the 2016 use year. With those points you would still be early enough to bank them to your April 2017 use year if you preferred.

BTW, even if you book online and think you may have used them incorrectly you can call MS and have them reallocate the points for you.

NewDVCowner
07-30-2015, 03:51 PM
Thanks very much!