PDA

View Full Version : Top lunch/dinner character meeting for 8 yr old girl

johnw
07-26-2015, 03:31 PM
Hello all: still in the planning stages. Trying to figure out the dining plans and I wondered what would be the top 3 or 5 character meals you would take a 8 year old girl too ? At the top of her list is the princesses but like some kids she does not like people in costumes. We have never been to Disney and this would probably be our only time we go . Thanks. John

deedee73
07-26-2015, 05:55 PM
I think these really depend on her interests. I can tell you I have eaten at all of them (except BOG) and some are definitely better than others. Chef Mickey is very loud and tight seating. CRT (Cinderella Royal Table) is a wonderful & magical but pricey experience. BOG has gotten rave reviews. Crystal Palace with the 100 Acre Wood is always great and the interaction is also fun. Each meal here has a massive buffet with so many options - bfast is great bc of early entry to the park but I loved all the cold & refreshing salad options at lunch. This is definitely a can't go away hungry or disappointed location. Did I mention the endless dessert area. Yummy.

1900 Park Fare is one of my favorite bfast bc of the diversity. Dinner there was also good. Garden Grille didn't thrill me with re to the menu but the characters and tables are neat especially with the revolving restaurant concept. There is of course the princess meal in Norway which you mentioned. Hollywood & Vine has gotten mixed reviews (characters are Disney Junior) - we had bfast & it was fine. Others we know really loved their lunch there. If you go down this route I would look into the Fantasmic dinner package. AK has Donald and friends at an African inspired meal. It does have a little of everything so the food shouldn't be a problem. This meal was fun but also a little hectic.

Two others we love are only bfast - Ohana & Cape May. We love these bc it is by far more quiet & spacious in comparison to some of the other options. So you may want to consider those too. There is also the Fort Wilderness BBQ with Mickey & Friends.

Other fun options to consider for that age - movie & smores with Chip & Dale at Fort Wilderness. Hoop - dee - Doo Revue is a knee slapping fun meal for any age. And while there are no characters, Sci-fi is fun and the movie clips & eating in a car is a unique dining experience.

Hope that helps - again I would ask her what characters she would prefer to meet.

If I can help you any more just ask.

AgentC
07-26-2015, 09:41 PM
Does she not like people in costumes because they make her nervous or because she thinks she is too old for it?

If costumes are just a no go for her, you may need to stick to the characters such as the princesses. I agree with deedee73 that finding out what characters she is interested is important.

My daughter is 7. Her top meal is usually breakfast at Ohana, however she is a huge (and I mean huge) Lilo and Stitch fan. The meal is also one of my favorites. Character interaction is usually great here . Other characters are Mickey and Pluto.

For princesses, you have 3 main choices CRT which was mentioned by previously. We have not eaten at CRT because I don't like to have to prepare for a meal months in advance. :) Akershus at EPCOT offers princesses for breakfast, lunch and dinner. There is a small cold buffet and you order an individual dish from the menu. We have always had great character interaction here. 1900 Park Fare dinner had Cinderella , her prince and the Tremaines. This is a buffet and the Tremaines are very entertaining. Though my son did not enjoy this one because the "villian" tend to be a little more in your face than other characters/

The Garden Grille is a nice quieter option for a character meal with Mickey, Chip , Dale and Pluto. Meal is family style with a combination of poultry, beef and fish.

I really enjoy the Tusker House buffet. Characters are Mickey, Donald, Daisy, Goofy and sometimes Minnie. I really like the food at this buffet. Character interaction is usually good.

Many people will consider Chef Mickey a must do. My kids like it because it has Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Donald and Goofy but I think it is too loud and overpriced compared to some of the other meals. But it is a classic meal and if this is a one time trip, you might want to do it.

My daughter added that if she likes princesses, she should also do the Tinker Bell meet and greet. The fairies do not do a meal.

Have fun planning and feel free to pm me with anything else. My 7 year old considers herself a Disney expert and loves to give her opinion. :D

TheDuckRocks
07-27-2015, 11:15 AM
Sent private message to you.

KarenP
07-27-2015, 11:50 AM
Since your daughter does not like people in costumes it sounds like you are going to have to stick to meals with "face" characters. I just had dinner at 1900 Park Fare last month and it was very good. It was very noisy, but I think you will find most character meals are.

johnw
07-28-2015, 12:58 AM
Thank you for your comments and thoughts.
So much to think about. To theduckrocks...
I sent a message back. Thanks. John

mydisneygirls
07-28-2015, 10:18 AM
I would say 1900 Park Fare, Chef Mickey and Crystal Palace. At 1900 Park Fare, the characters are Cinderella, Prince Charming, the stepmother and stepsisters. She would really enjoy it. At the other character meals, you can let them know that she doesn't like characters in costumes so they can alert them not to come to your table.

One note -- I wouldn't suggest character breakfasts. The last time we went to one (a number of years ago), it cost about $130 for 3 of us at Chef Mickey's. Wasn't worth it to me for a few slices of bacon, some eggs and cereal!

I hope you all have a great trip!!!

IloveJack
07-28-2015, 11:07 AM
Just to clear something up, and because it matters if she doesn't like "fur" characters - 1900 Park Fare has Cinderella and crew at night. In the morning, it's Alice, Mad Hatter, Mary Poppins, Pooh, and Tigger. Each of our kids have been terrified of fur characters at age 2 (and loved them all other ages), and while the oldest loved breakfast at 1900 Park Fare, she hid under the table when Pooh and Tigger came by.

NJGIRL
07-28-2015, 11:13 AM
My niece loved lunch in the castle at the MK with the princesses. She equally like breakfast in Norway with the princesses. A great way for her to meet characters without a meal, especially in EPCOT, is to go around to the different countries for their Meet n Greets.

Since you mentioned that this may be your only trip, if you can afford it, girls that are into the princesses love the BBB. They all look so pretty after their visits.

Katzateer
07-28-2015, 02:14 PM
My girls liked The Garden Grill. One daughter loved the interaction with characters when dining, the other not so much. GG is a little less hectic, not as noisy as other character dining.

1900 Park Fare was a favorite- we have met friends and family - great dining. Chef Mickey's is fun but loud! BOG is my favorite right now but you only see the Beast. You do feel like you stepped into the movie though and I love it.:cloud9:

If this might be your only trip- Cinderella's castle is worth it. The food is not the best character meal but you are eating in the castle!! With Princesses! And the fairy godmother.

Crystal Palace is a favorite - food is good, building is very pretty and Pooh characters are the best! Even Grandma liked going.