PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Changes in the Parks since 2008?

kepfalcon
07-25-2015, 01:53 PM
Hi all.

I am a brand spanking new member to the Intercot family. My last visit to WDW was in 2008. I visited a total of 4 times between 2004 and 2008. I've begun planning for a return visit and am trying to get re-oriented.

What have been the biggest changes in the parks since '08? Are there any new challenges for guests brought on by any of these changes? Has any change prompted you to change your routine when visiting the parks?

I know I have a lot to catch up on. Thanks all!

Kep

faline
07-25-2015, 02:39 PM
There have been all sorts of changes since 2008.
* Fast pass + has replaced the original fastpass system - this requires a significant change in how folks tour parks since you need to get your fast passes 60 days before you arrive, can only get 3, and all 3 need to be in the same park. Additional fast passes can be booked within the park but only after you have used your first 3 and only at in-park kiosks.
* Magic Bands were introduced to replace park tickets and room keys
* Fantasyland was expanded
* Toontown is gone
* The hub area of Magic Kingdom has been redone
* Downtown Disney is now Disney Springs and has undergone extensive changes with the addition of a parking garage, the closing, and in some cases demolition, of a number of venues with a number of new stores and dining spots opening.

I'm sure there's more but these are what strikes me at the moment.

faline
07-25-2015, 02:40 PM
Oh, and welcome to Intercot!! :mickey:

You'll find folks to be very helpful. I'm sure the list of changes I noted will be increasing a lot in the near future!!

kepfalcon
07-25-2015, 02:59 PM
Holy ****! Glad I asked! Thank you!

kepfalcon
07-25-2015, 03:02 PM
Is that 3 Fast passes per park or is that 3 total for the entire stay?

faline
07-25-2015, 03:46 PM
Is that 3 Fast passes per park or is that 3 total for the entire stay?

That is 3 per day of your stay. So, if you book at stay at a Disney resort from Monday through Friday, when you are 60 days from your arrival date, you can book 3 fast passes per day for each of the days you will be there. You could book 3 for Magic Kingdom on Monday; 3 for Epcot on Tuesday; 3 for Disney Studios on Wednesday; etc. If, on Monday, you book 3 fast passes for the morning, use them and then decide to go to Animal Kingdom (as long as your tickets allow you to park hop), you can visit a kiosk upon your arrival at Animal Kingdom and book another fast pass there. Sorry - my first response did not make clear that you select 3 per day of your stay!!

TheVBs
07-25-2015, 04:16 PM
Welcome! Hope you have a great trip!

kepfalcon
07-25-2015, 05:03 PM
Thank you for the clarification, Faline (nice choice of name, btw). Starting to feel like I made a good choice to come here. :)

Mendelson
07-27-2015, 09:53 AM
Falcon, despite the fact that the wording you used (Are there any new challenges for guests brought on by any of these changes? Has any change prompted you to change your routine when visiting the parks?) sounds so straight out of a corporate verbiage book that I feel about 40 percent confident this is a guerrilla Disney research effort, I'll respond, though I'm by no means an authority. But I'll speak to biggest changes generally from an attraction perspective (bonus points if you can spot the fake ones!):

Toy Story Mania opened (Depending on when you went in 2008, this will be new to you)
The Tangled area in MK, with GREAT restrooms. ;-)
The entirety of the expanded Fantasyland, which you can read more about with the Googles.
The atrophying of Hollywood Studios and Futureworld at Epcot continues, but Test Track got updated.
There are now Starbucks in the parks, and some of them even sell controversial mugs.
You can stand in line for half a day to see Elsa and Anna
The Magic Kingdom is soon to be renamed "Arendelle"
Snow White closed
The Tiki Room reverted to the original (mostly) version
The Festival of Fantasy Parade started (and it's awesome)
Vanilla Dole Whip has been phased out
Wild bobcats have been released on Tom Sawyer Island
Haunted Manson queue was greatly improved (with a real ring in the sidewalk this time!)
Captain Eo is back
Miyuki left Epcot (AND TOOK MY HEART WITH HER)
Five guys were pulled out of a county fair in Saskatchewan and placed into the Canada pavilion and told to produce a lumberjack show, as loudly as possible
Star Tours was updated and greatly improved

That's all the come to mind. But Faline has covered the basics on the actual guest experience and the significant changes it's brought about. If you are with Disney marketing, I don't mind FP+, but build some more dang attractions!

PopPhan
07-27-2015, 10:07 AM
Not much to add except :welcome: to INTERCOT fellow Yorker!!!

Actually, one more that hadn't been mentioned.....Maelstrom in the Norway pavilion of World Showcase is being replaced with a Frozen version and a Frozen Meet and Greet area is being added where the Viking boat once was.

magicofdisney
07-27-2015, 11:39 AM
Food choices and prices have changed considerably in that time span. I appreciate the greater, healthier choices in food selection.

kepfalcon
07-28-2015, 12:37 AM
Falcon, despite the fact that the wording you used (Are there any new challenges for guests brought on by any of these changes? Has any change prompted you to change your routine when visiting the parks?) sounds so straight out of a corporate verbiage book that I feel about 40 percent confident this is a guerrilla Disney research effort, I'll respond, though I'm by no means an authority. But I'll speak to biggest changes generally from an attraction perspective (bonus points if you can spot the fake ones!)

I am not anything Disney except a paying customer. I work with individuals with intellectual disabilities. Some of whom are autistic and are very dependent on routine. So, I have unintentionally acquired the habit of asking about breaks in routine and unexpected challenges. It's part of everyday life for me.

Oh,and as far as the "fake" stuff . . . If Frozen sequels provide the same amount of revenue and fascination as the original movie, I wouldn't be surprised at the renaming of the Magic Kingdom complete with Cinderella given the boot from the castle.

azcavalier
07-28-2015, 08:55 AM
Five guys were pulled out of a county fair in Saskatchewan and placed into the Canada pavilion and told to produce a lumberjack show, as loudly as possible

CLASSIC.

Seriously, those are great. I especially like the "county fair" bit.

But to add to others responses to the OP, At Hollywood Studios, they have started closing attractions. The Backlot Studio Tour is gone. The Magic of Animation (I think that's what is was called) is closed. One Man's Dream will be closing as well, if it hasn't already. The Legend of Jack Sparrow (thankfully) is closed. They removed the Sorcerer's Hat from in front of The Great Movie Ride, but the did update the Great Movie Ride (a bit).

Epcot hasn't changed much, but Maelstrom in Norway is closed as it is being redone as a Frozen ride. The rest of the World Showcase is pretty much the same. Innoventions has partway closed, and yes, they completely re-imagined Test Track.

In Animal Kingdom, Camp Minnie-Mickey is gone as they add Avatarland, and they've opened some new food stands.

In the MK, the Fantastyland expansion is pretty nice, with the new Be Our Guest restaurant, the new Snow White & Seven Dwarfs ride, a new Little Mermaid dark ride, and doubling the capacity of Dumbo. We really like that part of the park.

magicofdisney
07-28-2015, 04:58 PM
CLASSIC.

Agreed! :thumbsup:

At AK, Festival of the Lion King has changed venues. They built an entirely new building for it in a different area of the park. And it looks exactly the same inside, as best I can tell once they turn down the lights.

On the Safari Ride, you're no longer hunting poachers.

At MK, they now, periodically offer a dessert party for Wishes. This effectively closes off the Tomorrowland Terrace eating area to weary travelers at the end of the day who were looking for a nice viewing area for Wishes.

texas211
07-30-2015, 07:29 PM
Don't forget the Testtrack redo (much better)., Maelstrom is now closed.
Also, if at a resort, the refillable mugs work differently.

Probably good to review the closed rides/attractions/parades.

LandFan
07-30-2015, 09:46 PM
Ugh. The lumberjack show.