PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon?

MattHolst
07-22-2015, 08:32 PM
OK folks, I defer to your advice. This will be our fifth time going to Disney. In the past we have stayed there for 10 days to 14 days. However we have always stayed in the parks and never gone to any of the water parks. This year we are going to spend a day at one of them. I have a 14-year-old, and a 10-year-old that love the water. In your opinions, which is the more entertaining for boys their age? And what actually feels more Disneyesque and is more fun? Also, do you have any secret tips in enjoying these parks aside from getting wet and laughing your head off?

Rhetoric2000
07-22-2015, 09:48 PM
I wouldn't say that one is more fundamentally Disneyish than the other. Both are excellent water parks.

That said I would say that depending on the temperament of your kids they would probably prefer Typhoon Lagoon if they are stronger swimmers. The wave pool that is the main body of water is great fun with the large waves and relatively strong-swimmer only area that this creates deeper in the water meaning that good swimmers can have fairly free rein to have fun, also the snorkelling area in salt water with live fish is a terrific experience (obviously it's uniqueness depends on their own past experiences with open and fresh water swimming) which does not have an equivalent at BB. The Crush N Gushers are also great fun and very strange experiences if you don't have an equivalent attraction at your local water park.

Compared to this BB has a much more sedate main water area. The bigger sell there are the slides, which by and large are better than at TL. So if your kids are pure thrill seekers they would perhaps prefer there.

Hope that helps.

Pirate Granny
07-22-2015, 11:22 PM
Either is great, but best for us is we rented an umbrella and four chairs....well worth the $$$ (around $60) and very nice areas.

Disney4us2
07-23-2015, 12:45 AM
Typhoon Lagoon! We were at Blizzard Beach today and had a good time. Going to TL on Saturday. I like the wave pool better at Typhoon Lagoon better than BB. I think the lazy river is longer at TL, although both are nice. I find there is more shade at BB. I try to sit in the shade as the sun is brutal. Why not try both parks??

Awesome_guy
07-23-2015, 01:39 AM
Both lazy rivers are impressive and pretty comparable.

Blizzard Beach:
+ Thrill Slides/Longer Slides/Unique Slides
+ A great Family Raft Attraction
+ Unique "winter" theming
+ Chair Lift (although it's hardly the most efficient means up the hill)

Typhoon Lagoon:
+ Wave Pool far exceeds any other (HUGE waves)
+ Tropical/relaxed feel
+ Unique water 'coaster', a snorkelling experience (which is actually a pretty cool + on its own)
+ Shorter/quirkier slides including "coaster" slides

For a first visit, I would have to give "the win" to TL, especially for the wave pool. Over time, I'd get to both for sure. They're certainly unique to WDW and hard to find anywhere else.

jenperich
07-23-2015, 08:20 AM
I say TL hands down. I love Crush 'n Gusher, the lazy river, and the atmosphere. I find that because BB is all white, it gets very hot.

Pooh Fan
07-23-2015, 10:59 AM
I would definitely take TL over BB if i was only going to do 1 waterpark. I really like the crush n gusher rides and the swimming with the sharks/rays is totally awesome. We usually do that attraction over and over.

etibbetts
07-23-2015, 12:20 PM
I personally prefer TL hands down. It's wave pool alone is worth visiting for. However the kids in our family (ages 11 and 9) prefer BB because they love the slides. They love TL too but BB is their favorite. Since you haven't been to either, I'd go with TL first. My tip is to sit to the right side of the wave pool (when you are looking at it). The waves can be very strong in the center of the wave pool. If you go in on the side they are perfect. We like to get there at opening and set up camp on that side. You can also bring the small chair to the edge of the wave pool (it must be placed above the crack in the cement) and let the waves wash over us, it's fun. Have a good time!

ThanxForNoticin
07-23-2015, 12:23 PM
I agree that both parks are lots of fun. But when my sons were that age, they preferred BB - they liked the variety of slides much more than the wave pool.

You don't have a bad choice!

#1donaldfan
07-23-2015, 12:41 PM
IMHO I think Typhoon Lagoon is better. The snorkeling experience is fun but they also have the assisted air with pony tanks you can view and swim with sharks for up to 30 minutes or however long your tank lasts. It's an additional $20 pp. It's very much worth the extra $$'s to do that. The wave pool is great and that wall of water that comes at you is incredible. :mickey:

conan617
07-23-2015, 12:56 PM
I won't be able to review BB until Sept, but we had an absolute blast at TL. We spent about half the day in the wave pool :thumbsup:. I have a waterproof camera and some of the videos I got of the kids in the waves are fantastic and/or hilarious. You can't go wrong with either, but we are going to go back to TL next trip as well and that should say something.

buzznwoodysmom
07-23-2015, 07:43 PM
My boys, 15 & 13, prefer TL. We've done both parks several times, and they have always preferred TL. Last time we did waterparks they were around 12 and 10, so similar ages as your kids.

joonyer
07-23-2015, 09:09 PM
We love them both. TL has the better pool, with big waves, and the unique "Crush 'n Gusher" coaster-slide. BB has taller, longer faster slides overall, and the absolute best family raft ride, "Teamboat Springs". If your family likes doing water rides all together at once, it is not to be missed. We laugh and scream together all the way down! It's worth going to BB for us all by itself.

buzznwoodysmom
07-23-2015, 10:41 PM
OP, could you do both? If you want to make a whole day of it, a one day water park ticket gives you the ability to enjoy both waterparks.

"The tickets* listed below provide 1-day admission. If both water parks are open, you may come and go between them, as you please!"- as per Disney's website.

Giggy
07-26-2015, 11:05 AM
I have never been able to choose between the two. I get very nostalgic just thinking about being in either set of surroundings.

I enjoy the slides at both, though I think it has been said that the BB ones are generally that little bit more intense. Talking to my mother (who does not like intense slides) she prefers TL for that reason but in turn the BB ones may appeal more to adrenaline junkies. That said I find both sets of slides a lot of fun. Both have a wavepool: TL has giant waves to do battle with whilst BB is more gently bobbing waves. The theming at both is right up there with some of the best at Disney World and this is showcased well in their lazy rivers: Cross Country Creek and Castaway Creek.

Our solution is usually to do half a day at each, particularly as they close that bit earlier than the main parks it can be good to start the day at one of them, then as the crowds build up later switch over to one of the 4 big parks for the afternoon and evening. :mickey:

Tearin_it_up
07-26-2015, 02:19 PM
Keep in mind:
Typhoon Lagoon down for refurb Jan 3 - Mar 13
Blizzard beach down Oct 25 - Jan 3

Airblue1
07-30-2015, 04:39 AM
Tl