PDA

View Full Version : WDW Train Questions

lawgirl
07-21-2015, 01:07 PM
So, my son is completely obsessed with trains. The WDW train is (I'm hoping) the highlight of our trip. We'll be at MK Friday and hoping to ride it multiple times. Just wondering does it run during the entire MK day? About how long does it take to make 1 loop around the whole park?

Does the train run if its raining / storming out? Wondering what the policy on train closure during inclement weather.

Would also appreciate any other tips or advice for enjoying the train. We've ridden it many times before, but never paid that much attention to it. This time its going to be a main focus!

And if there is info posted somewhere else, I would greatly appreciate being directed. Thanks so much!

faline
07-21-2015, 01:49 PM
We ride the train a complete circuit on almost every trip. It's a nice relaxing place to get off your feet for a while. I guess I have never ridden during inclement weather so don't know if it will stop during storms. It takes around 20 minutes or so to make the entire circuit.

Here is some more information from the Disney site (https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/magic-kingdom/walt-disney-world-railroad/).

faline
07-21-2015, 01:51 PM
Also, I'm not sure how old your son it but you might want to think about the tour behind the scenes. (https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/magic-kingdom/magic-behind-steam-trains-tour/)

lawgirl
07-21-2015, 01:58 PM
I thought about adding that tour. He just turned 5 and loves every detail of trains. We live pretty close to the Casey Jones museum and several museums here, and he just loves anything trains!

I think we may save that for when my dad can take him. It's a little pricey for all of us and I don't think my daughter (3) would be that interested. But I think that is on our list for next year. Thanks for the info!

lawgirl
07-21-2015, 02:00 PM
And thank you for that link. I've spent so many countless hours planning this trip, and sometimes the most obvious links are the hardest ones to remember to check! I appreciate the reminder.

faline
07-21-2015, 02:01 PM
I think we may save that for when my dad can take him. It's a little pricey for all of us and I don't think my daughter (3) would be that interested. But I think that is on our list for next year. Thanks for the info!

I think you may need to wait a bit longer for the tour then - I believe the minimum age allowed is 10.

Strmchsr
07-21-2015, 02:58 PM
I think you may need to wait a bit longer for the tour then - I believe the minimum age allowed is 10.

That's correct but something to look forward to! I think my oldest waited on pins and needles from 5 until he was 10 and loved that tour.

Speedy1998
07-22-2015, 01:03 PM
. I guess I have never ridden during inclement weather so don't know if it will stop during storms. [/URL].

Just like all outdoor attractions at WDW it closes if there is lightning, but I have been told by a cast member that they will run it in the rain if there is no lightning.

It also does not run during the parades. Not sure if it runs at night, I do not recall ever seeing it at night though.

brad192
07-22-2015, 05:29 PM
I'm pretty sure it dosn't run during fireworks either. Where's Main Street Jim when you need him? :)

MizMissy
07-22-2015, 06:00 PM
My son loved the train when he was younger. But, almost more than riding the train, he loved watching the miniature train set that runs outside of Germany in Epcot. My husband and I had to take turns sitting on a bench nearby because he didn't want to leave.

Polynesian Dweller
07-22-2015, 07:36 PM
I'm pretty sure it dosn't run during fireworks either. Where's Main Street Jim when you need him? :)

No it doesn't. The tracks on the north side of MK are in the fireworks fall zone.

AvonleaCF
07-23-2015, 08:24 AM
If you need a midday break, consider taking a boat over to the Wilderness Lodge Resort. In the Villas section, there's a room dedicated to trains -- like a mini museum. It's not huge but could be a good break; you could always have lunch at Roaring Forks while over there.

faline
07-23-2015, 09:08 AM
Don't forget, there is also a train ride in Animal Kingdom.

Speedy1998
07-23-2015, 12:53 PM
Where's Main Street Jim when you need him? :)

I had thought the same thing.

lawgirl
07-23-2015, 04:53 PM
I had thought the same thing.

I was hoping he would see my post!

GREAT idea about WL. I hope we have time. We're at CBR now and having a great time! We may head to WL now!

Main Street Jim
07-23-2015, 08:49 PM
I'm pretty sure it dosn't run during fireworks either. Where's Main Street Jim when you need him? :)I'm right here. :) Sorry - we were at a NASCAR race the past two days.

Most of the questions have been answered, but, I'll follow up.

Train - takes approximately 20 minutes for a full round trip.

Just like all outdoor attractions at WDW it closes if there is lightning, but I have been told by a cast member that they will run it in the rain if there is no lightning.Trains can and will run if it's raining out, but, if there's high/heavy winds and/or lightning, *ALL* outdoor attractions will shut down, including the trains.

It also does not run during the parades. Not sure if it runs at night, I do not recall ever seeing it at night though.MK trains close one hour prior to fireworks. That is, the last train out of Main Street Station will make a final, full trip one hour before Wishes. The trains also do not run during the Halloween or Christmas parties, due to the perimeter fireworks.

And, yes, it also shut down for a very brief time during parades, so the floats can cross the tracks.

The Carolwood room at the Wilderness Lodge Villas is a tribute to Walt's Carolwood Pacific Railroad, the backyard railroad that Walt had in his backyard at his Carolwood Drive home in Holmby Hills. There are (or *were*) some of the actual CPRR cars (a freight/box car and a flat car) on display (last time we were there in 2010). There's also all kinds of railroad memorabilia on display.

Yes, there's also the miniature trains running at the Germany pavilion at EPCOT, but, to be honest, it's never really been well-taken-care of. :( CPRR members have offered to take it over for the company, but they have declined numerous requests.

For the "Magic Behind Our Steam Trains" tour, minimum age is 10 years old. It's also four hours plus.

Something else to try and do: there are (usually) two trains running during a normal day (three on very busy days). Try and catch a ride on each individual train at least once. :)

Don't hesitate to take your son up to the locomotive at Fantasyland station or Main Street Station (Frontierland station doesn't really have any access to the front); the engineers are *more than happy* to pose for photos and talk to him about the trains. :) Same thing with the conductors on the back of the train (ask to be a Guest Conductor and say "All ABOOOOOOOOOAAAARRD!"). I'm still friends with a few of the guys and girls on the trains.

The Animal Kingdom "Wildlife Express" is a trip from Harambe Village to Rafiki's Planet Watch/Conservation Station, but, (to us "real steam train engineers"), it's a "tram on tracks" :P Diesel-powered, and not even really "driven" (one does not "drive a train", as I was told years ago by our chief mechanic, George Britton before he retired; you *OPERATE* a train).

The trains at Magic Kingdom are real, live, steam-powered (fuel feeds the fire instead of wood, the fire heats the water, the water turns to steam, and the steam powers the pistons and wheels) locomotives that were built nearly a hundred years ago (between 1916 and 1928). Disney "scouts" located the engines sitting in a scrapyard in Mexico, where they were loaded onto flatbed cars and then refurbished at the Tampa Shipyard in 1969. Underneath of Main Street Station (like where the Stroller Rental is), you should still see pictures of the Disney locomotives as they appeared when they were working the sugar-cane fields in central America.

As far as we know, the Disney steam trains at (most) of the Disney theme parks (Tokyo's are diesel-powered steam outline, as will be Shanghai's) are the very few remaining *daily-operated* (365 days a year, seven days a week) steam trains left in the world today. Most steam locomotives are only operated a few months/weekends out of the year as tourist trains or photo opportunities. The Disney trains *work*. :)

lawgirl
07-23-2015, 11:10 PM
Thank you!!!!! I was hoping you would see my post. We did make it to the WL train room and absolutely loved it. I really, REALLY want to stay at WL villas now. Awesome. And my son loved it! Thank you Cindy for that wonderful tip! Heading to MK tomorrow to ride the train as much as we can. I will definitely try to get some pics with engineer and all that good stuff. Thanks everyone for all the info! This is just wonderful!

lawgirl
07-23-2015, 11:12 PM
If you need a midday break, consider taking a boat over to the Wilderness Lodge Resort. In the Villas section, there's a room dedicated to trains -- like a mini museum. It's not huge but could be a good break; you could always have lunch at Roaring Forks while over there.

We stopped by on our way to dinner at Kona Cafe, and fell in love. I can't wait to try and book at WL villas. We loved the train room and can't wait to go back. Such a great, relaxing experience. Thank you!

LandFan
07-30-2015, 10:03 PM
I'm sure your little boy will be in heaven!!
I can't wait to see the steam train tour myself - probably on this next trip :)

lawgirl
08-01-2015, 04:57 PM
I'm sure your little boy will be in heaven!!
I can't wait to see the steam train tour myself - probably on this next trip :)

Let me know how it is! Sounds like we'll have to wait a few more years until he is 10, but I'd love to hear all about it. Enjoy!

LandFan
08-01-2015, 05:12 PM
Let me know how it is! Sounds like we'll have to wait a few more years until he is 10, but I'd love to hear all about it. Enjoy!

WIll do! It won't be until next June though :mickey: