PDA

View Full Version : Fire at Avanti Resort

Niecyboo
07-05-2015, 09:05 PM
We were driving East on I-4 earlier today after leaving Disney, and we noticed thick black smoke even through the clouds and rain. As we got near I-Drive we discovered it was the Avanti hotel on I-Drive between the Embassy Suites and Courtyard by Marriot. We could see the flames shooting out of the roof of the hotel, so it was a pretty severe fire. I can't help but think of all the poor people on vacation that have now lost everything they brought with them except what they took to the parks and hope that nobody was hurt. There are probably people still at the parks this evening not even realizing the hotel they think they are going back to is in pretty bad shape.

John
07-05-2015, 10:20 PM
Looks like lightning may have been the cause:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-fire-avanti-international-resort-international-drive-20150705-story.html

Niecyboo
07-05-2015, 10:34 PM
That was my guess as we were driving by. It was pretty bad out there right before hand. It's weird. I had just said to my DH "I'm surprised there aren't that many stories of air to ground lightening doing more damage." This was before we'd even come close to the hotel/fire.

faline
07-06-2015, 08:52 AM
It's good to hear that no-one was hurt!!