PDA

View Full Version : Contemporary questions

Goodwife
07-04-2015, 05:09 PM
The CR is one of the only deluxe resorts we haven't stayed at in 33 years of WDW vacations, and would appreciate pros and cons on it.
Thinking of going again in fall of '16. Just adults. 60+ and 30+ ages.
Difference in main building and wings as far as cost, decor, recent refurb, etc.
Our last trip was this May at Yacht...like staying in EPCOT area, but wondered if it would be worth a change in location. We like to experience resorts and what they offer.

Thanks for any feedback.

faline
07-04-2015, 07:44 PM
Stayed at the Contemporary (Magic Kingdom view) on one occasion and have stayed at Bay Lake Tower a couple of times. We love the location and the convenience of having the monorail right there which also gives easy access to all the other monorail resorts. The boat gives easy access to Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness. In my opinion, this greatly increases your easily accessible dining options. Being able to walk to the Magic Kingdom is also a plus.

EpcotFan182
07-05-2015, 12:14 AM
I've stayed at Bay Lake Tower twice and had great experiences both times.

Pros:
- walking distance to MK
- you're on the monorail line - access to MK, Epcot, TTC, and other MK resorts
- good selection of in-house gift shops and restaurants
- great views!

If I had to pick a con, perhaps the sterility of the theme/decor - IMO it's the least "themed" of all Disney's resorts - but it's beautiful and architecturally interesting. I've stayed at both MK and Epcot area resorts - for me the vacation is a different experience depending which area I stay, but I definitely think it's worth it to change it up - you'll have a great experience no matter what =)

lawgirl
07-05-2015, 06:46 PM
We stayed at Bay Lake Tower last year, and I really liked the sleek design of the room. We had a studio, and I loved how the little kitchen was a separate area. The view was outstanding. We walked to the MK for MNSSHP and it was awesome to be so close. We loved having the monorail be right at the hotel. We enjoyed the cafe at the CR, and ate at the Wave for breakfast and its one of our new favorite places. Overall I thought it was a good experience. My hubby said it didn't feel like WDW to him, just felt like any other modern hotel. But then I don't think he understands how iconic the CR is. I liked it. I think the convenience of being so close to MK was the best part. For me, I prefer AKL or WL.

I had vertigo from being up so high in the tower. I think next time if we ever stay there again, I'd request a garden room, lower floor. The tower was nice, but I much prefer being close to the ground.

ThanxForNoticin
07-06-2015, 12:00 PM
I've stayed at Bay Lake Tower twice and had great experiences both times.

Pros:
- walking distance to MK
- you're on the monorail line - access to MK, Epcot, TTC, and other MK resorts
- good selection of in-house gift shops and restaurants
- great views!

If I had to pick a con, perhaps the sterility of the theme/decor - IMO it's the least "themed" of all Disney's resorts - but it's beautiful and architecturally interesting. I've stayed at both MK and Epcot area resorts - for me the vacation is a different experience depending which area I stay, but I definitely think it's worth it to change it up - you'll have a great experience no matter what =)

I really have to agree with this assessment. The location is outstanding, especially if you plan to visit the Magic Kingdom - cannot beat it when you leave MK after the evening fireworks or parade, and can make that simple walk back. But the theming is just a little off for us - we much prefer AKL, Poly, WL theming.

Goodwife
07-06-2015, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the great feedback!!
Isn't it fun to plan!?

ThanxForNoticin
07-07-2015, 12:26 PM
It's even more fun to use that plan!

VWL Mom
07-07-2015, 01:24 PM
This seems to have drifted to Bay Lake Tower. Does anyone have any feedback on the CR Tower (main bldg) as opposed to the Garden Wing?

awaggett
07-07-2015, 04:34 PM
Contemporary had been our favorite resort for years--we've stayed in Garden room twice--tower twice. I preferred the tower--it felt like we were more a part of the resort. The Garden rooms felt a bit separate for me--decor-wise they were similar from what I remember. Our more recent trips we have stayed at the Epcot resorts--Boardwalk, Beach Club, and Yacht Club. I prefer that area personally--and much prefer the pool at Beach and Yacht Club.

Here are my pros/cons:

Pros: location, location, location; decor, restaurants
Cons: pool (did not like)

RBrooksC
07-08-2015, 07:42 AM
Con would be cost. It is very expensive to stay there.

Pros: Proximity to the MK and the TTC to transfers to Epcot. We loved being able to walk back and forth to the MK.

Our room was near the top of the tower with a MK view. It made it nice to watch the fireworks from our room. I also enjoyed sitting on the balcony drinking a beer while watching the MK close down for the night.

If you are in the tower, the is very easy to get down to level 4 Concourse for everything you need.

While there is very little theming, both my young children loved the resort and keep asking to stay there again.

Also, we did enjoy the pool. We thought it was plenty large enough and it has a great slide.