PDA

View Full Version : Finally back after 13 years.

mook3y
07-01-2015, 05:58 PM
Just got back from a trip to SoCal for my 30 year class reunion.

I met up with my sister last wed/thurs for 2 days of fun in the sun at DLR. :cloud9:

Had moderate crowds on Wed and heavy crowds on thur. Temp was warm but a steady breeze both days felt nice when we were in the shade.

Having grown up less than a half hour from Disneyland and having had 13 annual passes over the years, its hard to believe that it was over 13 years since my last visit. :confused:

I was excited to see the new and remodeled attractions!

You can see my other post on the beta test of Turtle Talk with Crush and friends HERE (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=209764)

Hands down, my favorite new experience is Radiator Springs and the Radiator Springs Races. WOW - it has reconfirmed my faith in Disney's ability to pull off something GRAND! The whole area is amazing and the racers is a blast. Me and my sister were able to ride it 4 times - fast pass x 2 and single rider x 2. :thumbsup:

Over all, I was really glad to see how much they had added to CA. Having gone in the initial days of that park, it felt like only a partial park back then. The newer additions certainly make it a park worth visiting.

I did enjoy the Little Mermaid and Monsters Inc. rides. But honestly.... they really made me miss not having my kids with me for this trip. Definitely would have done monsters inc more than once if the kids were with me. :(

We also made it to the Aladdin show. In typical Disney fashion, what a great job on this show. The highlight of the show is definitely the genie. What a crack up that guy is and love all the up to date pop culture references. :silly:

At DL, I was really excited to be there just after the opening of the new abominable snowman effects on the Matterhorn.

MINI SPOILER ALERT:
HOLY CRUD - the effect of him chasing after you, up the last 1/3 of the hill and into the dark tunnel is actually quite scary! It sounds like he is about ready to eat ya for a snack! lol I was actually startled! :giveup:

One complaint about the Matterhorn was the new ride car is terribly uncomfortable. at 6" i felt crammed - make that jammed into the back seat. That combined with the rough ride makes for a not so comfortable ride.

I Loved the redo on the music and how smooth space mountain is. Definitely still a favorite of mine.

Nemo Subs made me miss my kids. But I did like it.

Did they add new effects to Indiana Jones? It seemed to me there was more dazzle near the beginning. LOVED IT! This still has my favorite queue of all Disney rides I have experienced to date. They really need this ride at DHS.

I really was not happy that Bear country jamboree was replaced by Winnie the Pooh. :( The pooh ride is better than the one at WDW, but still. they should of built on to critter country and left Bear Country jamboree alone imho.

I really liked the new attic Brides Story and the hatbox ghost effect. Too fun. Thumbs up on these additions.

We made it to Mickey's Magical Map show. I really thought they did a great job with that. My youngest DS 6 would really love that show.

Made a bet with my sister on Buzz Lightyear! Couldn't talk her into a penny a point, so we settled for a flat bet. The quarter I won went towards a crushed penny lol.

Over all, it was a great trip to Disneyland with my Sister. We had not spent a whole day at a Disney park together since I had bought her a season pass when she was in High School. It was a great time to reconnect.

We ate at Carnation Plaza for lunch on the first day. The food was good, service was great and it was a very nice break in the middle of the day. That night for dinner, we just had a few misc snacks so that we could hit In-n-out on the way home!

Thursday, was a fun day. I met a classmate for lunch and we went to Trader Sams. We thought this was pretty funny given that we live about 5 minutes apart in Omaha. We travelled 1500+ miles to have lunch together! Trader Sams is a riot. We loved it! Great food and very fun atmosphere. Almost a hint of adventurers club here.

Finally, the highlight of the trip. Disney has outdone themselves with the paint the night parade and the 60th anniversary fireworks. I am getting chills just thinking about it. Watching the fireworks was an amazing nostalgic journey for me. I loved how they combined the fireworks, special effects, lasers, light beams, projections and more into a very amazing experience. It brought out the little 7 year old boy inside of me and had me smiling in wonder. I had to crack up when i noticed myself going oooh and ahhhh, wondering how many times I had uttered those since the beginning. Truly a magical trip back to being a child like only Disney can do. LOVE IT!

Growing up so close to Disneyland all my life, I was really drawn to finally go visit Disneyworld as an adult with my own kids. We have been 5 times now, but... this trip made me realize that I really need to get my kids out to Disneyland to experience the one and only ORIGINAL park. its just special. has its own feel.

One last note - as you can see by my signature, my mom walked around 9 months pregnant at Disneyland to try and induce labor (or as we always said, tempt me with Disney to come out). We lost our mom to her 4th battle with cancer last year. In going through picture, I found a picture of my mom, from that day at Disneyland, standing in front of the castle. I had never seen that picture before and it quite literally brought me to my knee's. What a great treasure. Mom was with us in spirit that day.

MNNHFLTX
07-01-2015, 10:00 PM
I really, really enjoyed reading your post! Having gone to DL quite a bit over the last nine years or so, it's easy to take it for granted....but your observations made it new in my eyes! Thank you!

I have to say, I wish I could see the new effects of the Abominable Snowman. Sounds awesome!

cajunmickey
07-02-2015, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the post. Have been to WDW many times. In fact will be going next week . We have our first trip to Dl set for Sept. Can't wait. My kids are all grown(26 and 23) but this is one place we love to meet up together.

tinkwest
07-02-2015, 01:56 PM
A wonderful trip report. It sounds like you enjoyed each and every minute of your visit.

I am in total agreement with you on the Matterhorn in regards to that first new meeting with the Abominable Snowman (excellent!) and the bobsleds themselves (poor design!).

BriarRose0708
07-02-2015, 04:45 PM
Thanks for your report, I am going for the first time next week and I am so excited! What a lovely tribute to your mom, you're a long time member of INTERCOT and I remember seeing that in your signature a lot! I am sure she was with you and your sister the whole time.

I am very much looking forward to Paint the Night and Disneyland Forever fireworks. Where did you stand to watch them and how early did you seek out your spot?

Carol
07-02-2015, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the great report. I absolutely love Disneyland. I vowed last October I was done with the Matterhorn after being jarred to pieces. BUT I will be on it in September to see the new Yeti effects. I just hope the old tall body can take one more ride. I love the ride. It's classic Walt but I'm old. LOL.

BrerGnat
07-03-2015, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the great report. I absolutely love Disneyland. I vowed last October I was done with the Matterhorn after being jarred to pieces. BUT I will be on it in September to see the new Yeti effects. I just hope the old tall body can take one more ride. I love the ride. It's classic Walt but I'm old. LOL.

I'm with you Carol. I hate how painful that ride is but the draw to see the updates is strong!

mook3y
07-06-2015, 11:30 AM
Thanks for your report, I am going for the first time next week and I am so excited! What a lovely tribute to your mom, you're a long time member of INTERCOT and I remember seeing that in your signature a lot! I am sure she was with you and your sister the whole time.

I am very much looking forward to Paint the Night and Disneyland Forever fireworks. Where did you stand to watch them and how early did you seek out your spot?

The first night we caught part of the fireworks between the castle and small world - it was enough that on Thursday night, we came into the park just before 5pm.

There were so many people sitting along the parade route already that we decided to go ahead and grab a spot. We selected a spot just in front of the castle, right by the rope they draw across to keep people back from the castle.