PDA

View Full Version : Tiki Room (under old management)

Goofy4TheWorld
06-28-2015, 08:42 PM
I miss Iago. There, I said it!

I had only every know the Tiki Room as "Under New Management" so this year was my first chance to see the post-fire-retro Tiki Room that so many people had posted about being so much better.

My wife and I were in complete agreement, the new show was just plain boring. I walked out trying to figure out if I was just missing some magic, and no matter how hard I tried to be a purist, I REALLY missed Iago. While I know it may be seen as blasphemous, I don't think I ever want to see the Tiki Room again as it now stands, it was just that boring to everyone in my family (and we all love COP, so it's not like we could never be entertained by old-school AAs).

Just my two cents.

WiltonJohn
06-28-2015, 08:55 PM
Sorry...... love the old version.

Different strokes, etc.

best,

...............john

joanna71985
06-28-2015, 08:57 PM
Agreed! I much preferred "Under New Management". I find the current version to be...boring

tiggerbuddy
06-28-2015, 09:12 PM
same here..

Sorry...... love the old version.

Different strokes, etc.

Snow's Mom
06-28-2015, 09:12 PM
I enjoyed both the first time I saw them, but suffered through return visits. I know people get sentimental about their old favorites and don't want any changes made, but I wouldn't miss the Tiki Room at all.

I always look forward to seeing something new, but enjoy old favorites as well. That's just not one of them, I guess.

Altair
06-28-2015, 09:31 PM
You should miss Iago, he was a "celeb birdy". :thumbsup:

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-28-2015, 09:52 PM
I am so glad to hear I'm not the only one. I quite enjoyed the "new" old version ... the one with Iago.

The "old" old one is so boring. I feel guilty skipping it, since it is supposed to be a great "classic" attraction, but it is actually painful.

DonaldDuck1117
06-28-2015, 10:06 PM
Love that they kicked Iago out. That version was dreadful and hurt my soul sitting through it.

Much better being the original.

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
06-28-2015, 10:29 PM
Iago and Zazu could have worked, but not the way they put them in the show. I appreciate the history of the show, but everything in Adventureland except POTC needs to be replaced or upgraded.

deedee73
06-29-2015, 01:03 AM
I love the current Tiki Room. While the under new management was ok it was not the tiki room thtvi loved since I was little. So glad it is back.

Jeff
06-29-2015, 06:14 AM
I did not like the Iago/Zazo bit AT ALL!
I did like the Tiki goddess animatronic!

missymouseworld
06-29-2015, 06:59 AM
I like that it is air conditioned! :cool:

sorcerer fan
06-29-2015, 10:24 AM
chalk up another one for this version!

snowflakegirl
06-29-2015, 10:55 AM
I have to say that while I didn't hate the "under new management" as much as I expected to, I love the original version and am looking forward to seeing it again this summer.

TheVBs
06-29-2015, 11:07 AM
I love the current version, although our youngest loved the Iago version. I can definitely see why some people think the current version is boring though, especially if the Iago one was the only one they'd seen.

IMADisneyFreak
06-29-2015, 12:39 PM
Love that they kicked Iago out. That version was dreadful and hurt my soul sitting through it.

Much better being the original.

Interesting to hear that the Tiki Room has been "updated" to the old version (if I am understanding this correctly). I remember seeing it as a kid in the 70's and enjoyed it, but when I returned with my own family I was so disappointed with the Iago version that we have not bothered to sit through it again during our last two visits to WDW.

KAJUNKING
06-29-2015, 01:14 PM
I dont hate it in its current version and understand its the original but I also liked the "under new management" as well!

Main Street Jim
06-29-2015, 07:17 PM
Interesting to hear that the Tiki Room has been "updated" to the old version (if I am understanding this correctly). I remember seeing it as a kid in the 70's and enjoyed it, but when I returned with my own family I was so disappointed with the Iago version that we have not bothered to sit through it again during our last two visits to WDW.It was almost fate that the Tiki Room returned to near-original status, as Iago literally exploded and caught fire one morning before the park opened back in...2012, I think it was.

I dont hate it in its current version and understand its the original but I also liked the "under new management" as well!The *current* show is *near* original - not quite the actual original show. There's no Magic Fountain, "in the center of the room, that is", and there's a few original songs missing. The original show was 22 minutes, and when it was brought to Florida, it was shortened to 17 minutes. The "Under New Management" show was even shorter - only about 12 minutes. "Under New Management" ranked right up there with "Stitch's Great Escape". The only time we'd visit is taking first-timers through the park. The current show is *about* that long now.

Speaking of Stitch and Tiki Room, Tokyo's version does indeed have a Stitch overlay. :/:ack:

People's attention spans just aren't what they used to be....

Melanie
06-29-2015, 07:28 PM
Speaking of Stitch and Tiki Room, Tokyo's version does indeed have a Stitch overlay. :/:ack:

And I thought it was totally cute. :stitch:

texas211
07-05-2015, 11:19 AM
I like that it is air conditioned! :cool:

Amen

dtootsie42
07-05-2015, 02:29 PM
Sorry, love the old version.

EeyoresBestFriend
07-06-2015, 11:41 AM
Seems like a lot of these things depend on what you 'first' saw on your first time through.

I, as well, like the old management version as it was the first that I saw.

Just like I like Epcot ball with the hand & wand, and the Sorcerers Hat as that is how we first saw WDW.

To each his own. :mickey:

MNNHFLTX
07-06-2015, 02:15 PM
I think if you didn't mind Iago's voice the "Under New Management" version might have it's merits. I, however, cannot stand his voice and much prefer the charm of the more traditional show.

MrPeetrie
07-06-2015, 03:17 PM
I thought I was going to love the return-to-original version, but after seeing it, I secretly wished they would "update it." We've seen the current version only once and are on the fence about viewing it on this upcoming trip.

PirateLover
07-06-2015, 10:51 PM
I was a kid during the 90s movie boom and grew up with "Iago" and "Zazu," but I couldn't stand Under New Management. Now that the original is back, we go each time. It's a nice relaxing respite. If only you could bring a Dole Whip in like you can in Disneyland!

Mendelson
07-07-2015, 11:34 AM
The first time I saw it was with Iago (I mean, not that I was with Iago [either Shakespearean or Alladinian] but the one starring Iago), and I liked it and I was quite impressed with the fancy animatronic gal who appeared in the end.

I was ambivalent when they changed back but now I like the classic version best (which is good, because that's what we're stuck with, I suppose). It's such a great tune to start the show and the overwhelming affects during the storm sequence are fun...it's old and kitschy, but I still really like it.

I just wish some bird would still say "chunky tuna tostada."

lawgirl
07-11-2015, 05:26 PM
Is it still as loud? The last time we took my son- prob when he was about 3, it was so ear-piercing loud that he hated it. I dont' ever remember it being that loud when I was younger. And I'm excited to see the older one. I loved it when I was little, then not so much in recent years. I like the classics!

Horizon One
07-19-2015, 11:25 AM
I went to the new old version last time I went and it brought back a lot of memories.
I think which version you like depends on when you first saw the attraction.

Lindsey
07-20-2015, 04:42 PM
I saw the original version of the Tiki Room many times, I never much cared for it. When the "Under New Management" version came out I liked it a lot more.

The Tiki Goddess was AWESOME! :tikki:

So despite seeing the original first, I actually like the "Under New Management" version better.