PDA

View Full Version : "you're going again?"

iheartdreaming
06-25-2015, 02:38 PM
Does anyone else get that "you're going again" when you announce your trip to Disney? How should I handle this?

I love sharing my Disney trip on facebook, however I'm getting tired of hearing people say we are wasting money.

Thanks for the help. :mickey:

whitney37354
06-25-2015, 02:45 PM
Just ignore them. People I work with swear I take my family to WDW every summer. That's not true. We've been three times in five years. Lots of people go to the same beach every year but I don't harass them about it! To each his own. As long as you are not putting yourself into debt to go on vacation, I say go where you want.

honeybear
06-25-2015, 02:56 PM
back when it was more affordable, we would go every year. Sometimes twice a year. Yes, I got that reaction. And I did not care. There is no reason to respond. If you like it I love it!

KAJUNKING
06-25-2015, 03:41 PM
we go at least once per year, most years twice and get that all the time from family and friends. Some people dont get it, thats why we are all here and in the facebook groups.

i'm grumpy
06-25-2015, 03:51 PM
I just ignore them. They don't know what they are missing. And I stopped explaining it's WDW, not DL. :shake::laughing:

Oh who gets tired of asking for tips from people who don't go?

micky95
06-25-2015, 03:56 PM
we hear it all the time.its my money and my time ill do as I please.my dw and I had annual passes one year and we went every 6 weeks. after that year people stopped making their comments and started asking when are you going again.i understand and so do people here at intercot .just enjoy yourself and forget about them

MrPeetrie
06-25-2015, 04:29 PM
We get that a lot, as well. Thankfully, we also have a lot of Disney fans that get very excited when we announce we are going. I try not to pay attention to the tractors. I we get that a lot, as well. Thankfully, we also have a lot of Disney fans that get very excited when we announce we are going. I try not to pay attention to the tractors. I don't get much time away from work, so when I do go on vacation, I want to go somewhere that we all love.

TikiLounger
06-25-2015, 05:20 PM
Yeah, we hear it all the time, too. I don't know what it is about our frequent Disney World vacations, but they seem to really bug some of the people in our lives. We get lots of eye rolls, smirks, sneers, unsolicited advice about other vacation options, sighs, comments about how it "must be nice" to be able to go so often, etc. Honestly, I don't know why anyone cares about what we decide, and love, to do as a family. I know they don't get it, but sometimes it seems (with certain people) to go further than simply "not getting it". They can NOT stand to hear that we're going. It's almost as if they're implying that there's something wrong with us. What's up with this? I dunno...

So, whatever. We love our Disney World vacations and we're adults who can decide how we want to spend our money. Our children had some of their best times there and they were always so excited to go (and still are). After The Wizarding World of Harry Potter opened, we even tried to convince them that it would be fun to split a trip between Disney and Universal. They would have none of it, and they were serious Harry Potter fans! What can I say? There's no place like Disney!

Terra
06-25-2015, 05:25 PM
Shoot I live local, and I get that! For the most part it's a passing comment. But I've had a couple of people really hound me about it and I've pretty much had to tell them to mind their own business. My life, my job, my money.

BrowncatP
06-25-2015, 05:47 PM
Maybe they are all jealous of us, but don't want to admit it.

Priority Four
06-25-2015, 06:07 PM
I tell them its the same reason I blow money on guitars and amps without their consent. In Texas we say "nunya". Is that a national thing?

mechanic
06-25-2015, 06:35 PM
Every year at christmas I hear same thing. So, youll be gone for the holidays again? In fact we havent been to disney for christmas since 2002! Several summer trips but not winter.

VacationDisney
06-25-2015, 07:02 PM
We've been over 20+ times since 1984. People now ask when are you going again?

This is what we like and we'll continue to go as long as we can:number1:

tiggerbuddy
06-25-2015, 09:20 PM
It's WDW not Disneyland !!
I hear that all that time and it drives me nuts !!!:mickey:

Just like when you ask somebody who just got back and you say to them "What PARKS did you see and they tell you..."Mickey ParK ":confused: They are usually referring to MK.

eandrsmom
06-25-2015, 09:52 PM
We get the eye rolls too. We just returned three weeks ago and are going back over July 4th! Decided to buy annual passes since we knew that we'd be back at Mardi Gras. We were actually planning a trip to the Ozarks, but the kids started talking about what they didn't get to do this past trip, and we decided to go back. You cannot begin to imagine what we're hearing from family.

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-25-2015, 11:13 PM
People have given up on the "why are you going" conversation with us. Now, they just ask "when" are we going again ...

I would often say that we've found a vacation anywhere is expensive, and we enjoy our Disney time.

Geesh, some people ... why does it matter where you spend your vacation dollars? :)

hauntedmansiongirl
06-26-2015, 02:04 AM
Luckily, we have yet to experience anybody really complaining to us about our trips. We're known as that Disney couple and spend a lot of time helping people out planning their vacations. I got tired of answering the same questions over and over, so a few years ago I made a Word file that I email to anyone who asks about Disney. I keep it very current and send them to websites like this fine one here! Then if they have any more questions I will help them as much as they need.

We have a Mickey Mouse kitchen, so people know how serious we love the mouse! :mickey:

Don't get frustrated with any haters or bullies- they're not worth your time!

Pally
06-26-2015, 10:18 AM
I did not tell anybody about my last trip with my sister. We had a blast together. I have not told any family yet about our up coming trip. None of them travel and really are not interested in travel. So we really don't talk to them about it much.

Funny though, they do talk about going on vacation but never do. Never have money even though they have great incomes. They just decide to spend it elsewhere and then complain about debt and no money.

We only go every few years. I save and don't touch the vacation fund. If you never save you never go on any vacation.

My brother talked about going on vacation with his family for 20 years. He and his wife made double what my famiy income was. In debt up to their eye balls spending it on junk. Nothing to show for their money. Now they are divorced. Never having had a family vacation in 21 years. Sad really.

We usually stay quiet.

MyDisneyworld
06-26-2015, 10:23 AM
Oh my gosh we get this all the time. What is funny is they go on the same trip every year so I started doing the same thing back to them, "your going there again?" They get the point now.
Surprisingly many of these people are secret Disney lovers and come to us in private later and ask for help planning their trip. I don't know why people don't want to admit they like it? I love it and look forward to going whenever possible. I always have a countdown at my desk.
I just got back and my next trip is in 133 days........:party:

Cass&KenziesMom
06-26-2015, 10:52 AM
I just ignore them. We're definitely getting it this time around. We had already booked our resort for the Summer and we decided to take a surprise trip over Christmas so we bought annual passes. I'd rather do something my kids really enjoy than have to hear them complain the whole time we're on vacation somewhere else. :thumbsup:

4disneynuts
06-26-2015, 11:19 AM
We to get this from a lot of family and friends. I just tell them that it is our "Happy Place" and we enjoy being there. Some of our best vacation memories are from DisneyWorld. Our girls are now grown and both have their own daughters. They talk about Disney all the time and how wonderful it is. I even converted our son-in-law last year when he went for the first time. By the second day of us being there he actually apologized to us because he thought we were nuts and then asked how soon we could come back again. LOL

Like others have said it is your money and your time. Spend it the way YOU want to and just ignore others. It is just one of those things that you either get or you dont and never will. I have relatives that go to the same place in Mexico year after year and nobody says anything to them about that.

Enjoy your time with your family and make magical memories!:pixie:

EeyoresBestFriend
06-26-2015, 12:04 PM
I tell them its our 'Hawaii' or 'Vegas' and then they seem to pipe down.

Some of these folks have joined us for a trip to WDW, over the years, and it's funny how after they have been there it turns those comments into 'Going back again? We're so jealous!'

:D

TheVBs
06-26-2015, 02:18 PM
Just tell them if they're willing to finance your vacation, you'll go whoever they want.

MNDisney Dad
06-26-2015, 02:36 PM
Just ignore it. Do we, as Disney lovers, roll our eyes when others go to the cabin, go fishing at the same lake, or go on a cruise for their vacations every year? I think not. To each their own. Enjoy.:mickey:

minnie04
06-26-2015, 04:07 PM
I always get the "let me guess where you guys are going" Hey ya know what!! I love going and UNTIL my kids say it's enough (23/19 &11) then we will stop going, but they are always up for a Disney weekend, so I just ignore all the comments. My dad loves to tell me "you should own stock in Disney" and " I BET they know you by name when you walk in" It's all in fun, :D At work they know I'm all about Disney so they don't even mention things any more. I make them want to go when I talk about all the fun stuff. :mickey:

mechanic
06-26-2015, 06:25 PM
I know we don't go as often as a lot of people on here, but we have had cast members recognized us in the past.

WiltonJohn
06-27-2015, 03:41 PM
Does anyone else get that "you're going again" when you announce your trip to Disney? How should I handle this?

Say "Yes." Stop talking. :cool:

best,

..............john

PirateLover
06-27-2015, 04:43 PM
"Because we love it!" Is my response, and then I move on. We really don't get it much anymore, either. Like others have said, I'm not sure why WDW gets the hate from some people when almost everyone I know takes the same yearly vacation to the Jersey shore or Outer Banks...heck one person goes to the same exact hotel in Mexico every year. Don't judge my vacation and I won't judge yours.:thumbsup:

SandmanGStefani24
06-28-2015, 02:41 AM
you're going again?

such a common question, yet only WDW fans seem to get it the most. Many people go to football games, Nascar races, baseball parks, beaches, cruises, and on and on. Rarely does anyone get asked the "why again" question for any of these bc most simply say that one "is a fan" and it's left at that. Why, I ask, can't someone be a WDW fan?

I love many things, and choose to return for more fun. I go to many Nascar races, me and the Mrs cruise almost yearly, I support my Carolina Panthers and Houston Astros (odd mix I know) staunchly, and I love to visit WDW as close to annually as I can. Nobody close to me questions it, bc I am a fan of all these things.

If you feel the need to defend why you're going, I'd simply be honest. Explain the "fan" culture of WDW and what you love about it. Use examples like us here. I for one, have yet to do and see everything even after 10 trips. Or how that feeling of coming through the gates and seeing the castle down Main Street hits you, or how everyone is just plain nicer and friendlier in WDW. Lots of people won't understand, but you can convince a few, and make even more fans. It's a subculture, like sports, travel, or almost anything. Some people fish, or gamble. I Disney. :mickey:

Snow's Mom
06-28-2015, 08:55 PM
We used to get that reaction. Then we took extended family along. Now, if we go, we're going to have to keep it a secret. I have a nephew who keeps a bag packed, just in case.:)

Priority Four
06-29-2015, 12:09 PM
I realized at church this weekend that my friends actually ask "So, when is your next trip?" Usually followed by "That's so great that ya'll can do that."

CanadaLovesDisney
06-30-2015, 03:46 PM
We get the same thing. We've done the island beaches, Vegas etc etc. and we simply pick Disney time and time again - nothing compares! I don't believe that the people who say this have been there recently or done Disney right. Our group from 26 years old to 56 years old love it all the same. It's funny that the same people to say "Your going there again?!" are the same ones asking if I can bring them back a mickey candy apple, etc.

lawgirl
06-30-2015, 06:20 PM
Don't let anyone else spoil your fun! Some people just don't get it, and some people are jealous as well. My dad takes a ton of photos each trip, and edits them over a long time period. He'll randomly post stuff on FB, and people are always asking " do you live in Disney?" or "are you in WDW AGAIN! Haven't you been enough!!???". I love going so much, and never let anything anyone says bother me. We work hard and budget, and we've been to Europe and Hawaii, and you know Disney is just my happy place!

Enjoy it! Don't let anyone steal your Disney joy.

azcavalier
07-01-2015, 11:54 AM
Yep. Get asked that all the time. It's at the point that whenever I take a few days off, my coworkers ask if I was at WDW. If I say no, like last week when I was in Southern Utah, many of them respond with surprise. I think one even said, "Good for you!" as if I had just reached some sort of milestone or epiphany.

Then I mention that I'm not going to WDW until September, November, and next February. :)

DisneyGiant
07-01-2015, 01:24 PM
Not only do I get that all the time - but I also get "You're going in July - are you crazy!?"

No - we travel with teachers & children - who won't miss school! :blush:

Its all in what you're used to - I always reply back.

And yes - its my happy place - and I even went there once BY MYSELF. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!!!!! :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

txdisneyfanatic
07-03-2015, 07:11 PM
Ahh...we get so tired of hearing the "you're going again??" speech! Yes, and we absolutely LOVE it!! We've stayed in everything from Value to Deluxe resorts, and have loved them all. We truly believe that you either "get" Disney or you don't. For us, it's the feeling we get from the moment we drive upon property. It's just something you can't explain. We've gotten to where we don't always tell people when we're going now because it's the same ole' thing. Thankful people on here "get" the magic!! :mickey:

paragon
07-03-2015, 07:25 PM
We usually go once a year in September, although this year we are opting for a three day Disney cruise instead, and some time with my parents at their house, but I have often gotten the " you're going again " comment. I usually ignore it completely and think to myself, "well at least I won't run into this goofball while I am on vacation and that his family of seven mouthbreathers won't be clogging the lines ."

Disney Doll
07-03-2015, 09:03 PM
Surprisingly, I don't really get those comments. Anyone who knows us knows we perpetually have a Disney trip in the works. Most people tend to be supportive and ask for our help when they finally decide to plan a trip.

Goes4FastPass
07-06-2015, 07:38 PM
Many families rent the same house at the same beach during the same week every year.

I don't argue or to 'sell' a WDW vacation to anyone.

On the other hand I AM a bit mystified at families that never go anywhere but WDW even to the point of like it's some kind of betrayal to visit and enjoy Universal Orlando because it doesn't have the... magic.

We'll go to WDW again and again while the grands are young and probably after they've lost interest in going with us and we won't apologize or explain ourselves to anyone.

Figment104
07-13-2015, 12:07 PM
DH and I used to get this question alot, and usually it was from my in-laws and said very disapprovingly (or so it seemed). For them it wasn't so much about the location, but the amount of money that we would spend to go on a vacation almost every year. They have lived a very frugal life, and usually would do camping trips, and car trips when my DH and his sisters were growing up, so they thought we were spending our money unwisely. I on the other hand grew up in a family where we would take trips like this multiple times a year, but we would do it in a financially responsible way. I learned at a young age that if I wanted to take vacations like that, that I needed to save in advance and not go into debt for them, but that I would have to forgo other things in order to save. My DH and I both make great incomes, so it's not as much of an issue as it was once upon a time, but the main way I got them to stop answering the question was showing them that we weren't being fiscally irresponsible, and that we love going there. As others have said, it's our money, and our time off from work to spend how we want to, now how they want us to. I also second with making the point that those who usually ask it of us (besides my in laws) are the ones that go to a similar spot for their vacations year after year, and pointing that fact out to them.

Goes4FastPass
07-13-2015, 01:47 PM
My enjoying repeated vacations at Walt Disney World is like my religious beliefs and political views;

I can say what works for me and why I think that way and they can agree with me, or disagree or call me crazy.

What I'm not going to say is, "Anyone who doesn't like WDW is wrong."

I'm told there anti-Disney websites. Who cares? I'll hang out at Intercot with the WDW fans.

azcavalier
07-13-2015, 02:44 PM
I'm told there anti-Disney websites. Who cares? I'll hang out at Intercot with the WDW fans.

You know, I had never thought about that before, but I guess you're right. Of course there are anti-Disney websites.

I'm glad I am on the pro-Disney side of things. It's too much fun!

Arielfan98
07-13-2015, 06:31 PM
Not to sound obnoxious but I believe people say that for two reasons. One, they don't understand the magic of WDW or two, they're jealous. I find people who don't understand what Disney is truly about or have never gone are the ones to say that. I simply ignore it and enjoy myself. Hope that helps :mickey:

Gregandmel
07-14-2015, 07:48 AM
We've heard that before as well. I just tell them that I found my "happy place" which is different for everyone….and someday i hope they find theirs! :)

EeyoresBestFriend
07-14-2015, 12:13 PM
I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised when a friend recently asked 'when is your next WDW fix?' This was the first time EVER that someone brought it up in a nice way - no eye rolling or sarcasm. It was refreshing!

We enjoy complete removal from reality when staying on site, we eat at a bunch of amazing (favourite) restaurants and do as little, or as much, as we want.

And yes, we can't wait for our next trip. Yes, we start a personal countdown saying ' 3-2-1 month from today we'll be in Disney'. Yes, we will probably start thinking about the next trip while waiting for the DME departure bus. :D

And yes, we will be returning in the Fall this year. Again. :D

mrte62
07-16-2015, 07:48 PM
We got the question - especially when our kids got older and into college and now beyond. Then when the pictures and materials from the Food & Wine Festival made their way home ... now people who haven't been in years want to know if they can go with us when we go again ... :marg: :beer: :mickey: