PDA

View Full Version : Why is CRT so expensive?

Katzateer
06-21-2015, 08:17 AM
Seatings showed up when I was booking dining and I started to book us one night. But when the price showed up and the entire balance was due at booking, I decided not to. We used to go when the girls were little but it has been years. The price is really high, even for Disney signature dining.

1DisneyNut
06-21-2015, 09:04 AM
Simple answer is because they keep raising the prices and they are still staying booked. Right now we are seeing one of those corporate management cycles at WDW where they keep raising prices and keep cutting costs until they will finally at some point cross the tipping point. Then as the history or corporate America has shown us, the finger pointing will then start and the mass firings follow.

I personally wouldn't pay $15 per person to eat there again. It regularly gets poor ratings on food quality and our experience was in line with those ratings.

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-21-2015, 10:31 AM
Because they can. I don't think there is any "value" in the equation, other than the fact that people pay it, 'cause they want to eat in the Castle.

We did it a couple of times during our early trips, and it was decent, but there is no way I'd pay to have it a regular part of our trips. Of course, for so many people, Disney is a "one-time" thing, and a meal in the Castle is part of that experience.

Polynesian Dweller
06-21-2015, 12:33 PM
Come on folks, those aren't the answers. The answer has nothing to do with food cost or other face valid but inaccurate thought, the answer is all about the cost of characters. Those are real people who have to be paid the wages commensurate with the terms of the union contract. And, like all union contracts the wages increase annually. They would face characters under the Teamster contract and paid a good wage, more than normal characters (the contract is online), and if this is considered a show then they would be Equity actors and paid even more.

So forget the food quality, 'because Disney can' , it's about taking you child to a character meal and paying for every one of the characters you see.

joonyer
06-21-2015, 03:28 PM
Characters or not, if guests weren't willing to pay the price, Disney would quit selling the product. The only reason it continues to be a sellout meal, even though the price is higher than other character meals is because it's in Cindy's castle, which from the exterior iconizes all the magic of the Magic Kingdom. People expect it to be just as magical from the inside, so they'll pay a premium to eat there. Then they find out that other Character meals are just as good if not better.

Pirate Granny
06-21-2015, 06:14 PM
I agree with Joonyer....the princess character meal in EPCOT Is cheaper and better...the price is higher because they can get a high price for meals in the castle. Food truly is mediocre...

EpcotFan182
06-21-2015, 08:06 PM
Agreed - CRT is a perfect example of "because we can". They take advantage of the castle setting and families with little girls who want to see the princesses. They know people will cough it up for the experience.

eandrsmom
06-21-2015, 11:51 PM
We used to go each trip. It has always been a little more expensive than other character meals. However, the past several years, I find the cost has gotten out of hand. For us, it really isn't worth eating there when there are so many other great places that are much less. Honestly, I find that most of the table service restaurants have gotten more expensive in the last several years. I'm wondering if this is due to the dining plans or free dining. In comparison, our last trip we found the table service restaurants at Universal to be more reasonably priced, and the food quality very good.

Terra
06-22-2015, 09:18 AM
I agree, there's a demand so they do it. Though I do agree as well that the cost is out of hand [for us personally anyway].
I know I have sons, but they have always wanted to eat in the castle.
I can't lie though, I've told them no and we never have. And I do feel a bit guilty :(
But it is hard for me to stomach paying $40 for a child for breakfast. And my boys [especially my ASD son] don't eat $40 worth.
A bowl of cereal, maybe a waffle and some fruit. For us the cost for the three of us to eat there would equate almost 2 weeks of a grocery budget.

I know they get a "free" gift. But honestly I would rather pay $10 elsewhere for a prince's sword and just walk through the castle.

I did take my youngest to CP for breakfast at MK and I think that one was $20 for him. And I kid you not, he ate 2 bites of fruit and one bowl of cereal. BUT I admit, the look in his eyes and the excitement as Pooh and his friends came to our table and interacted, was worth it.

Goes4FastPass
06-25-2015, 12:19 PM
...the answer is all about the cost of characters. Those are real people who have to be paid the wages commensurate with the terms of the union contract.

C'mon Dwelly, get a grip. Disney Theme Park princesses wear pretty clothes and get lousy pay.

We have friends who are pretty young gals who love all things Disney and when someone says, "You'd make a wonderful Disney Princess" they always answer. "and I'd work weekends and holidays and not make enough to pay my rent."

The prices at CRT are about supply and demand and focused toward Disney stock holders, not Disney stocking wearers.