PDA

View Full Version : Zuri’s Sweets Shop: Items Range from Flame Tree BBQ Sauce to 'Animal Dropping' Treat

John
06-15-2015, 09:59 PM
Another picture of the "poop"
Left to Right: Elephant, Giraffe, Cotton Top Tamarin, & Hippo

Figment!
6/18/15

Zuri's Sweets Shop opened on June 17th, 2015 as the capstone to the new Harambe Market section at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

The new location features a variety of treats including four somewhat inexplicable confections devised to look like actual animal droppings. The 'Match the Species' series includes Cotton Top Tamarin Poop, Elephant Poop, Giraffe Poop, and Hippo Poop. The seemingly odd offering may be more stomachable than they sound; here are the ingredients for the different droppings:

Cotton Top Tamarin Poop: Pretzel pearls coated in chocolate peanut butter fudge and sweet rolled oat flakes.
Elephant Poop: Chocolate peanut butter fudge with sweet rolled oats and yellow coconut flakes.
Giraffe Poop: Rolled Chocolate fudge brownie and caramel.
Hippo Poop: Chocolate fudge caramel brownie with peanut butter and rolled oats.

If edible excrement is too exotic for your taste buds, the location also offers more civilized signature confections including:

Assorted Bulk Candies
Assorted Bulk Nuts
Dark Chocolate Mickey with Chili Peppers
Elephant Carmel Apple
Iced Giraffe Cookie
Iced Lion Cookie
Iced Monkey Cookie
Iced Tiger Cookie
Iced Zebra Cookie
Monkey Carmel Apple

The previously announced Flame Tree Barbeque Rubs and Sauce aren't the only 'taste' of the park Guests can take home, the location also offers bags of Tusker House Coffee.

In addition to the fresh and packaged goodies; the store also has a small section of baskets, mugs, plates, and other African inspired home goods.

6/15/15

Disney Parks has announced that the fifth location in Harambe Market will be a full-scale food retail location. Zuri’s Sweets Shop will offer Guests packaged sweets inspired by the Lion King and Flame Tree Barbeque rubs & sauces.

Delicious Treats Coming to Zuri’s Sweets Shop at Disney’s Animal Kingdom This June

by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager
The Official Disney Parks Blog
June 12th, 2015

I’m excited to give you a first look at delicious treats coming to a new shopping experience in Disney’s Animal Kingdom called Zuri’s Sweets Shop. This location will be found at Harambe Market starting June 17. I caught up with Patrice Guy, a merchandiser at Disney Theme Park Merchandise, to learn what guests can expect.

“We have created approximately 80 new items that range from decorative candy apples to uniquely flavored chocolate bars to delicious popcorn,” explained Patrice. “With Zuri’s Sweets Shop, we wanted to offer highly-themed goods inspired by the sights, sounds and flavors of Africa. Many of the items will be unique to this location making them delicious gifts for loved ones, or something special to enjoy during a visit to the park.”

Guests will find three distinct art programs for these new treats. The first program uses characters from Disney’s “The Lion King” including Simba, Timon, and Pumbaa. Guests will find a lollipop shaped like Simba’s paw, animal crackers, and, my favorite, chocolate mini crocodiles.

Colorful patterns and whimsical animals inspired the second art program. Items will include Rice Krispies treats with nods to the animal world, or Mickey Mouse-shaped creamy, chocolate-dipped coconut patties. The five chocolate bar set includes flavors such as milk chocolate with spicy cinnamon and banana chip.

Patrice let me try African Spice popcorn that has a hint of cardamom. It was fantastic (she had to take the bag away from me).

Finally, the location will offer African spice rubs and a gourmet cocoa set. The item I can’t wait to use is a bottle of Flame Tree Barbeque sauce at home! Patrice worked with chefs from Disney’s Animal Kingdom in order to correctly capture the sweet and spicy flavor.A selection of the promotional photos:

Figment!
Our intrepid INTERCOT Field Reporter Christine shared these pictures of the new location on INTERCOT's Facebook and Twitter pages:

TheVBs
06-16-2015, 04:24 PM
These look great! We'll definitely be picking some up while we're there.

Figment!
06-18-2015, 10:57 PM
**Update**

magicofdisney
06-19-2015, 08:02 AM
My 9 year old would buy those items just for the name alone. ;)

faline
06-19-2015, 08:58 AM
Presentation is a big part of taste. Eating items that look like animal droppings would not be on my list of must dos. However, some of the other offerings, like the sauce and rubs, sound interesting!

buzznwoodysmom
06-20-2015, 01:02 PM
Not sure yet whether I find the "poop" hilarious or disgusting! A little of both I guess. My kids would totally get these on the name alone. I, on the other hand, will probably never taste them!

Stu29573
06-20-2015, 01:25 PM
I've never been a fan of skatological humor. This seems a bit "beneath" Disney. Still, who am I to judge? I, however, will take a pass on this one...

DNS
06-20-2015, 02:00 PM
Kids will love this!

TheDuckRocks
06-20-2015, 02:35 PM
I almost :ack: when I first saw the picture. Sadly, I will never be able to enjoy :thedolls: these as the base ingredient is peanut butter fudge and I'm allergic to peanuts. :D

EeyoresBestFriend
06-20-2015, 03:44 PM
These look freakin hilarious!! :D If I'm not mistaken, isn't that in keeping with a Paleo diet? ;)

DH and I will definitely have to eat Poop next time we're there!

BTW, a far better concept in keeping with the theme than the big Starbucks sign.

TheVBs
06-20-2015, 05:08 PM
OMG! The poop treats! I had to laugh and say "Ewww!" at the same time. The girls think it's hysterical. It will be interesting to see how well they do.

texas211
06-20-2015, 11:14 PM
I think Disney is just testing how far the can push, and see if we'll buy and eat pooh...

Or is that where the food that melts in the lil packages in the gift store goes?

VWL Mom
06-21-2015, 09:37 AM
Sorry, I find it a bit insulting and think it serves as a sad commentary on what Disney thinks about their consumers' tastes.

goofy for pluto
06-21-2015, 11:12 AM
I've never been a fan of skatological humor. This seems a bit "beneath" Disney. Still, who am I to judge? I, however, will take a pass on this one...

lol! :D

AndrewJackson
06-21-2015, 01:51 PM
We were just there on the 18th. I was waiting for our party at the Safari entrance, and we tried the giraffe poop while waiting. They are basically just brownies rolled up into balls. They were quite dry. Certainly not worth the price.

On the bright side, Starbucks just opened, and I was able to be my You Are Here mug.

Figment52
06-21-2015, 02:40 PM
We've not been to Disney since 2011, so I'm wondering where this new food market is actually located? I remember a few stores across from Tusker House, and a fruit stand, but that's it. Did they get rid of those?

joonyer
06-21-2015, 03:20 PM
We were just there on the 18th. I was waiting for our party at the Safari entrance, and we tried the giraffe poop while waiting. They are basically just brownies rolled up into balls. They were quite dry. Certainly not worth the price.

Well have you ever tasted Giraffe dung? What'dya expect? :laughing: :haha: :D

Figment!
06-21-2015, 07:37 PM
We've not been to Disney since 2011, so I'm wondering where this new food market is actually located? I remember a few stores across from Tusker House, and a fruit stand, but that's it. Did they get rid of those? Harambe Market was built in a previously backstage section.

See Animal Kingdom's Africa Expansion (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=196906) for a pictorial of the expansion. Harambe Market is marked as '2nd Expansion Area'.

Mr. Smee
06-22-2015, 03:14 PM
At first I thought this was a joke John W. pulled on Christine. In my house, we have in the past taken an exceptionally moist brownie, rolled it up and tried to shock unsuspecting people, but that is in my house, and we are just insane. Whats next? Bags of mini-marshmallows marketed as Olaf Poop?

mydisneygirls
06-23-2015, 10:05 AM
I have a very good sense of humor, but this I find disgusting. These would not be on my list of must have/try.

#1donaldfan
06-23-2015, 11:01 AM
I feel as though it's a great concept to introduce the "droppings" in on us !! I cannot imagine how this is insulting or an invasion of one's "civil side" as it's a novelty at best. Kids will eat this up, both figuratively and literally. :mickey:

i'm grumpy
06-23-2015, 11:07 AM
Yuck, ewww, gross.

ThanxForNoticin
06-23-2015, 12:27 PM
Sorry, but I think the animal pooh conversation is quite funny. I find it clever - and it's going to generate some conversation. But to not try something because of the name is funny to me - but that's just my opinion!!

Personally, I will continue to enjoy Zebra Domes at the AKL - as I don't think they are made from real zebras.....

DaisylovesDonald
06-23-2015, 07:52 PM
I tried the Giraffe poop last Friday and also found it not all that tasty/a bit dry. That being said, the photo op alone had my family/friends/co-workers at home laughing hysterically for DAYS! There were a crowd of people around the counter, which is the only reason I even knew about the offering. Adults and kids alike were ewwing and laughing! Harmless fun!

I hope they keep the offering around for awhile, as I have family members heading down in September that are interested in trying some of the "samples".

seanyred
06-24-2015, 01:31 PM
This novelty isn't something new. Many confectioners make poop themed candies. I can't understand how anyone would be offended by this.

WiltonJohn
06-24-2015, 02:27 PM
Doesn't the Harry Potter genre / franchise have some of what might be considered weird foods also? I seem to remember some strange flavors of jelly beans.

best,

................john

BrerGnat
06-24-2015, 09:59 PM
This novelty isn't something new. Many confectioners make poop themed candies. I can't understand how anyone would be offended by this.

I agree. Obviously Disney got the idea from somewhere. Heck, every Christmas season you can find a vast assortment of wind up snowmen and deer that "poop" candy pellets.

I just honestly find these paricular treats WAY overpriced.

Little Round Bale
06-26-2015, 10:19 AM
Been too long since a Disney trip... this is such a fun idea....ROFL

Christine
07-04-2015, 01:34 PM
Well these sure were short lived! Instead of just not buying or not eating these treats, enough guests loudly vocalized how offended they were by them and now AK has pulled them.
It's a joke folks! And if you don't think it's funny, just don't buy them or eat them and grab a mickey bar instead!
I thought it was cute, unique, and just silly fun. And the giraffe poop was yummy.
Whats not cute and is just plain silly is that ppl are so overly sensitive these days that they'll ruin things for other people instead of just going about their own business and not worrying about what others do. It wasn't hurting anyone.

What's next? Should we force them to stop selling worms in the dirt desserts for kids?

Having an opinion is fantastic. Shutting down others' experience because it differs from your opinion is not cool.

Sorry. Vent over. :twocents: :soapbox:

VWL Mom
07-04-2015, 01:44 PM
There are a lot of different sources reporting different reasons they were removed from the shelves. Some have reported they were indeed removed because of complaints but not over the name but over the taste. IMO if it was a name thing alone Disney would have renamed & reshaped them and kept selling them. I wonder how much has to do with subliminal messaging? If something is named poop and is shaped like poop does it lead our mind to believe it tastes like poop?

Christine
07-04-2015, 02:16 PM
Interesting, Lynn! I dunno. What I was told is people found it offensive that Disney would even jokingly serve guests droppings. If that's true, ppl need to get over it. If it's because of the taste, that's subjective. I don't like dole whips at ALL but I'd never dream of trying to take them away from others. Just like a LOT of people really dislike 'Ohana dinner and I think it's yummy! Different strokes for different folks, right?

If it's the subliminal thing, then I apparently like animal droppings. Lol!

VWL Mom
07-04-2015, 03:03 PM
I was one of the people that, at the time, found the concept insulting. We had just returned from a trip where I felt Disney just didn't care and from a marketing standpoint it felt like "hey we can sell poop and they'll buy it". I've since recovered, have not sold our DVC, will be going back in September, and have regained my sense of humor.

That said, I didn't complain or write a letter or stamp my feet because I know little kids (and my big ones) found it hysterical. I agree with you, to each his own; if I don't like it no one is forcing me to buy it but why ruin it for everyone?

For your sake, I hope it's not subliminal :D

TheVBs
07-04-2015, 03:39 PM
If they were pulled due to complaints over the theme, that would be really sad. If I saw an option that I thought looked unappetizing, it would never occur to me to complain about it. I would simply buy something else! I'm blown away that people would actually find these offensive enough to complain about. Just say "ewww" and move on.

I would love to know what the real story here is, but I know we'll never get it officially. We're sad that we won't get to try this, but I have no doubt we'll find lots of other yummy options!

Christine
07-04-2015, 04:46 PM
I was one of the people that, at the time, found the concept insulting. We had just returned from a trip where I felt Disney just didn't care and from a marketing standpoint it felt like "hey we can sell poop and they'll buy it". I've since recovered, have not sold our DVC, will be going back in September, and have regained my sense of humor.

That said, I didn't complain or write a letter or stamp my feet because I know little kids (and my big ones) found it hysterical. I agree with you, to each his own; if I don't like it no one is forcing me to buy it but why ruin it for everyone?

For your sake, I hope it's not subliminal :D

Exactly & perfectly said! People can hate it, be offended by it, whatever. I get that. But you just stopped there- you didn't go on a boycott-ish petition attack to eliminate it.

And I'm not just speaking of poop. It's bigger than that. It's hot cheese sauce too! :blush:

Christine
07-04-2015, 04:48 PM
Just say "ewww" and move on.

Yes! This!!

texas211
07-05-2015, 08:08 PM
Next, they'll start charging for Olaf poo in your beverage.

SurferStitch
07-06-2015, 12:00 PM

Because people have paper-thin skin anymore. I swear they LOOK for something to offend them.

I honestly can't remember the last time I was truly offended by something. Seriously.... I NEVER get offended by ANYTHING. I was raised to be strong willed and level headed. I just always knew that there would be things in the world I wouldn't agree with, and would just have to either accept it or ignore it, and move on. People are just ridiculously sensitive and too self-righteous anymore.

And... I wanted to try the poop on our next visit! Bummer.

Hammer
07-06-2015, 02:44 PM
Well these sure were short lived! Instead of just not buying or not eating these treats, enough guests loudly vocalized how offended they were by them and now AK has pulled them.
It's a joke folks! And if you don't think it's funny, just don't buy them or eat them and grab a mickey bar instead!
I thought it was cute, unique, and just silly fun. And the giraffe poop was yummy.
Whats not cute and is just plain silly is that ppl are so overly sensitive these days that they'll ruin things for other people instead of just going about their own business and not worrying about what others do. It wasn't hurting anyone.

What's next? Should we force them to stop selling worms in the dirt desserts for kids?

Having an opinion is fantastic. Shutting down others' experience because it differs from your opinion is not cool.

Sorry. Vent over. :twocents: :soapbox:

Amen! People need to stop being so super sensitive about everything! People are going to disagree. This is one of the things that makes the USA great; we have the freedom to disagree. People should learn to accept that and not always taking their ball and going home.

Lynn, the last line made me laugh!

Because, sadly, people only think of themselves.

Because people have paper-thin skin anymore. I swear they LOOK for something to offend them.

I honestly can't remember the last time I was truly offended by something. Seriously.... I NEVER get offended by ANYTHING. I was raised to be strong willed and level headed. I just always knew that there would be things in the world I wouldn't agree with, and would just have to either accept it or ignore it, and move on. People are just ridiculously sensitive and too self-righteous anymore.

I was raised the same way by my Reagan conservative father and my middle of the road mother who raised 2 daughters who think differently than them on some topics (though not as many as some people think). The world isn't going to always agree with you, accept it and move on. It is a good thing to have friends who don't agree with you. I think it makes life pretty boring if can't have discussions with people who have different viewpoints.

People are becoming so wimpy :sad: :shake: !

deedee73
07-07-2015, 12:05 PM
So sad that some people were so easily offended. Too bad Disney doesn't act so quickly & responsive to good suggestions just negative comments. Do these people hide from stores at Christmas that sell reindeer poop candy or rabbit turds at Easter. We see that everywhere at the holidays especially at the dedicated Christmas stores.

#1donaldfan
07-07-2015, 03:09 PM
They're gone for sure. I tried so hard to find what I hoped to be some droppings for dessert but I had to go elsewhere. When I went into the shop I was lucky enough to talk to the "chef" who made them and she indicated that the think tank, thinker bees, somewhere in the catacombs, hidden away from reality, voted to pull them from comments voices by guests. I asked if she could make me some and she only laughed. The shop was great tho, lots of new items !!:thumbsup:

goofy for pluto
07-08-2015, 09:17 AM
deedee 73S.. sad that some people were so easily offended. Too bad Disney doesn't act so quickly & responsive to good suggestions just negative comments. Do these people hide from stores at Christmas that sell reindeer poop candy or rabbit turds at Easter. We see that everywhere at the holidays especially at the dedicated Christmas stores.

I think we must shop at different stores. I haven't seen candy shaped and marketed as rabbit turds or reindeer poop. I have seen reindeer food to leave out with Santa's cookies and milk and candy shaped like carrots.
Honestly I don't know why anyone would buy rabbit turd candy. I am not saying that it doesn't exist, just that if I did see it I would keep walking. :ack: