PDA

View Full Version : Call All Tech Gurus...

DizneyFreak2002
06-12-2015, 06:53 PM
OK I am at a loss, I admit... I'm pretty good with computers and technology, but for some reason I cannot figure this one out...

For the last three days my wireless router is shutting off by itself... What I mean is, everything will be working fine, then it goes kaput... I have to pull the power cord on the router, wait a few seconds, and plug it in again... it resets itself, works for 20 minutes, then off it goes again... The internet connection is fine... I ran a check on my wireless cards, and everything is up to date and fine.... Same for the drivers and router firmware...

I have my modem plugged into the router... My playstation and Xbox is also wired into the router... The router is connected with ethernet cable to my computer... I have a lap top and printer hooked into the modem wirelessly, along with my phone... The router is a few years old...

So, tech gurus, any suggestions? This is one issue I'm truly lost on... Something tells me it is time to upgrade my router...

VWL Mom
06-12-2015, 08:05 PM
Not a tech guru by any means, just someone the likes to putz with electronics. Could the router have dust in it that's causing it to overheat and shut off? Or maybe it could just need to be replaced, they seem to be shortening the life expectancy on all electronics these days. I feel like I'm replacing things a whole lot more than I used to.

DizneyFreak2002
06-12-2015, 08:18 PM
Not a tech guru by any means, just someone the likes to putz with electronics. Could the router have dust in it that's causing it to overheat and shut off? Or maybe it could just need to be replaced, they seem to be shortening the life expectancy on all electronics these days. I feel like I'm replacing things a whole lot more than I used to.
I'm starting to think it needs replacing... it isn't dusty... I have a linksys wrt110... their are four lights which come on once a device hooked into the router is turned on... right now i have two lights on (computer and PS3)... The issue is, after 5, 7, 10 or 20 minutes, all four lights become solid, the modem then registers no link to the internet... and all network connections are lost, whether it is a lap top, the smart phones, PS3, xBox, desktop, Kindle, Nook... anything i have hooked into the wireless network or plugged into the router...

I have a funny feeling it is time for a new one...

John
06-12-2015, 10:10 PM
A few things -

1) Reset the router. Meaning - do the paperclip in the back of it. Set it up from scratch. For some reason, after a few years of operation, most routers get for lack of a better word - buggered up. Sometimes the paperclip fixes that.

2) The issue you are having sounds like it's possibly overheating or that the main board is going. If there are any vent slots, blow them out with canned air.

3) Most likely, it IS the router itself, and it's life is over.

If you don't mind refurbs - this is a pretty good deal for a dual band Linksys at $45 - Linksys EA6300 AC1200 Router Smart WiFi Wireless Dual-Band 2.4 + 5GHz 802 - (Certified Refurbished) EA6300-RM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LBF0YZE/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00LBF0YZE&linkCode=as2&tag=intercotcom&linkId=XAFT6VT7K7MV2OB5

If you don't need those features, you can get an inexpensive Linksys or Netgear refurb for as low as $18

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_ss_tl?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Arefurbished%20routers&tag=intercotcom&linkId=GOIKGW5RETXTARZV

DizneyFreak2002
06-12-2015, 10:19 PM
Thanks John... I had a feeling the router itself has reached the end of its life span... I have one in mind, not a Linksys this time... The one I have in mind has 375 positive reviews on Amazon, with a 4 and a half stars rating... it is good for online gaming, which I do a lot of, and video streaming, which I also do a lot of... It is $140 bucks, but I want to research it first before buying...

TP-LINK Archer C9 AC1900 Dual Band Wireless AC Gigabit Router, 2.4GHz 600Mbps+5Ghz 1300Mbps, 1 USB 2.0 Port & 1 USB 3.0 Port, IPv6, Guest Network

That's the one I'm thinking of getting...

John
06-12-2015, 11:22 PM
I have a netgear nighthawk. Also tried Asus. Tplink isn't a brand that I would normally use for the backbone of my network... But that's just me.

Used to be Linksys only bit have had too many go bad so I tried a different brand this go round.

DizneyFreak2002
06-12-2015, 11:46 PM
Netgear, I have to look into them... I just saw a netgear which peaked my interest... Know anything about this model?

Netgear Nighthawk Wi-Fi Range Extender AC1900 Dual Band Gigabit (EX7000-100NAS)

Again, extremely positive reviews, 4 and a half stars on Amazon... Says it is an extender, not a router? Guess that isn't what I am looking for then... I need the router... Hmm, back to looking!

I appreciate the help John... Thank you!

John
06-13-2015, 06:48 AM
That one is for boosting an existing networks signal I believe. This is the one I have and the one that you'd want which is the same AC1900 series... looks like a cylon ship ;)

NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (R7000)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F0DD0I6/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00F0DD0I6&linkCode=as2&tag=intercotcom&linkId=JHMRCPQ37E2UQAYT

1DisneyNut
06-13-2015, 10:04 AM
Everything John has suggested is excellent advice.

There are a few things that could be happening with the router.

First, I would pop it open and check to see if it is full of dust/lint. When it goes haywire and drops connection, put your hand on it and see if it is abnormally hot.

If you disconnect all hardwired connections and use only wifi, does it still crash? If not, you may have a short in one of your cables. Try reconnecting one at a time until the crashes start again. You might also try connecting a know good cable and testing each port one at a time to see if maybe one of the ports on the router developed a short.....it happens.

Another possibility is you have a router virus/malware. Yes.....those do exist although they aren't extremely common. You can download the latest firmware from linksys and reinstall it to see if that clears it up. Another option would be to load either DD-WRT or Tomato firmware on your router instead of the linksys oem firmware if it is available for your model. I prefer DD-WRT and run it on several older Linksys WRT54G routers. I use one as primary and others as bridges and repeaters. You have all sorts of customization options with the custom software such as adjusting signal level and security options. All of mine work excellent and they are probably all over 10 years old.

Another potential cause is an internal hardware failure which means about all it is really good for is a door stop if you need one somewhere. lol If you have had some lightning storms lately around the time it started acting up, that may have been the cause.

DizneyRox
06-13-2015, 11:46 AM
I've had good luck with Asus. Typically I look for something that supports DD-WRT. Previously, many official firmwares leave little to be desired, DD-WRT often gives a better, more stable and configurable, base. Newer firmwares on consumer routers have gotten much better, but I'm a creature of habit.

Wireless shouldn't be thought of as a good option for gaming and/or streaming if you ask me. Its a shared resource, and I've never had great results, especially with streaming. My entire entertainment system is based off streaming media and everything is wired, except the tablets/phones. No buffering problems, which is often a problem for wireless clients. You seem to have a ton of wireless clients.

Just some insight...

DizneyFreak2002
06-13-2015, 02:29 PM
That one is for boosting an existing networks signal I believe. This is the one I have and the one that you'd want which is the same AC1900 series... looks like a cylon ship ;)

NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (R7000)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F0DD0I6/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00F0DD0I6&linkCode=as2&tag=intercotcom&linkId=JHMRCPQ37E2UQAYT

That's the second one I saw and liked...

DizneyFreak2002
06-13-2015, 02:38 PM
I've had good luck with Asus. Typically I look for something that supports DD-WRT. Previously, many official firmwares leave little to be desired, DD-WRT often gives a better, more stable and configurable, base. Newer firmwares on consumer routers have gotten much better, but I'm a creature of habit.

Wireless shouldn't be thought of as a good option for gaming and/or streaming if you ask me. Its a shared resource, and I've never had great results, especially with streaming. My entire entertainment system is based off streaming media and everything is wired, except the tablets/phones. No buffering problems, which is often a problem for wireless clients. You seem to have a ton of wireless clients.

Just some insight...

I game through Playstation, which is wired... I also watch Netflix through Playstation, again wired... xbox is wired too... But they are all wired into the router as my modem does not have many outlets for them, just the one, which i plug into the router as well. Only wireless items are two smart phones, a kindle, a nook, and two laptops (which are rarely ever on)...

DizneyFreak2002
06-13-2015, 02:44 PM
Everything John has suggested is excellent advice.

There are a few things that could be happening with the router.

First, I would pop it open and check to see if it is full of dust/lint. When it goes haywire and drops connection, put your hand on it and see if it is abnormally hot.

If you disconnect all hardwired connections and use only wifi, does it still crash? If not, you may have a short in one of your cables. Try reconnecting one at a time until the crashes start again. You might also try connecting a know good cable and testing each port one at a time to see if maybe one of the ports on the router developed a short.....it happens.

Another possibility is you have a router virus/malware. Yes.....those do exist although they aren't extremely common. You can download the latest firmware from linksys and reinstall it to see if that clears it up. Another option would be to load either DD-WRT or Tomato firmware on your router instead of the linksys oem firmware if it is available for your model. I prefer DD-WRT and run it on several older Linksys WRT54G routers. I use one as primary and others as bridges and repeaters. You have all sorts of customization options with the custom software such as adjusting signal level and security options. All of mine work excellent and they are probably all over 10 years old.

Another potential cause is an internal hardware failure which means about all it is really good for is a door stop if you need one somewhere. lol If you have had some lightning storms lately around the time it started acting up, that may have been the cause.
I thought about a virus or malware... I'm running a scan to check to see if there happens to be something on the computer...

Funny thing is, the router acted up once last night, then corrected itself by itself... and was fine the rest of the evening and through this morning... I get home from appointments, and everything is fine.. put on my PS and start playing an online game (I usually just play to get centered, don't ask LOL), and 20 minutes into the game the router acts up... So far, since I hit reset, it hasn't...

I'm thinking it's dying... and cannot handle the gaming load plus desktop internet connection...