PDA

View Full Version : Magic band & photo??

minnie04
06-12-2015, 09:06 AM
I was at WDW on the 29th of May with my DS school. I used my magic band to get in and of course the light didn't turn green right away, so they asked if I had put sunscreen on or anything and I told them it happens when I have my nails long or short. My thumb doesn't fit in or what ever. Ok instread of asking me for ID or any questions they just took my picture. Why are they doing that ? and are they allowed to do that? Not mad just asking why??:mickey:

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-12-2015, 10:29 AM
That's interesting ... did they ask, or just snap the picture?

I'm assuming that they can now use it for visual ID, like with the DAS, so they can easily verify that "you" are using your MB.

minnie04
06-12-2015, 11:10 AM
They asked, but I didn't even question it since we were in a hurry to get in the park. I wish they would have given me a second to fix my hair and make up ...lol :D since this picture will be on file I assume...

joonyer
06-12-2015, 12:41 PM
I was at WDW on the 29th of May with my DS school. I used my magic band to get in and of course the light didn't turn green right away, so they asked if I had put sunscreen on or anything and I told them it happens when I have my nails long or short. My thumb doesn't fit in or what ever. Ok instread of asking me for ID or any questions they just took my picture. Why are they doing that ? and are they allowed to do that? Not mad just asking why??:mickey:

There is no prohibition against taking photos of people in public places, even without their consent. We don't have a legal expectation of privacy in public, so we have no right not to be photographed. Most places you go nowadays, you are being photographed and surveilled with video cameras, on city streets, retail stores, government buildings, and yes even in theme parks. Those cameras are just about everywhere. And businesses like theme parks that charge admission can place certain restrictions on entry to prevent fraudulent use of their tickets, like showing ID, fingerprint/bio scans and yes, photographs.
On top of all that, government agencies and big companies now have facial recognition software that will analyze your face from video camera images and identify who you are (sort of like reading a fingerprint). Should we be concerned? Probably. Cause Big Brother is watching us. You know the saying, "Just because you are paranoid doesn't meant they are not out to get you." :spy::paranoid:

magicofdisney
06-12-2015, 01:58 PM
A couple of years ago something similar happened to me at Disneyland. I had purchased a 2-day ticket and they took my picture on the first day of first use.

Tinky-Bell
06-12-2015, 03:32 PM
Even before magic bands I had problems with my fingers ever working. This last time (mid-May) they took my picture. I'm relieved. This should make it easier. I always ended up causing a bottleneck. Thing is, the same thing happens at work. There's a server area that requires biometrics and, although I'm allowed in the area, I always have to get someone else to let me in because my fingerprints don't register. :(

Priority Four
06-15-2015, 04:15 PM
I wonder if the reader reads vein pattern not fingerprint. My son is in charge of a facility that has a "fingerprint" reader for access. When he has the system installed, they explained that it was a thermo scan of the vein.

DizneyFreak2002
06-15-2015, 06:03 PM
I wonder if the reader reads vein pattern not fingerprint. My son is in charge of a facility that has a "fingerprint" reader for access. When he has the system installed, they explained that it was a thermo scan of the vein.
It read biometrics, not fingerprints...

I wouldn't doubt that some time in the near future, Disney will be keeping your pictures on file... Then when you place your band to the reader, your picture comes up on the CMs tablet...

WDWdriver
06-15-2015, 10:37 PM
I wouldn't doubt that some time in the near future, Disney will be keeping your pictures on file... Then when you place your band to the reader, your picture comes up on the CMs tablet...

This is already in use for guests using Disney's Disability Access System (DAS) which allows guests with certain disabilities to use the Fast Pass entrance to attractions after an assigned waiting period. A photo of the guest requiring special access is assigned to his/her wristband, and the photo is displayed on the CMs console at the attraction entrance to insure that no one else is trying to use that guest's privileged access.

DizneyFreak2002
06-16-2015, 12:46 AM
This is already in use for guests using Disney's Disability Access System (DAS) which allows guests with certain disabilities to use the Fast Pass entrance to attractions after an assigned waiting period. A photo of the guest requiring special access is assigned to his/her wristband, and the photo is displayed on the CMs console at the attraction entrance to insure that no one else is trying to use that guest's privileged access.
I know, which is why I'm shocked they haven't do so with everyone yet... Easy enough to transfer over to guests who aren't on the DAS system...

joonyer
06-16-2015, 12:26 PM
I know, which is why I'm shocked they haven't do so with everyone yet... Easy enough to transfer over to guests who aren't on the DAS system...

And they can easily adapt facial recognition computer applications to do it in fractions of a second, no person will actually have to look at a photo. Smile, you're on candid camera!

whitney37354
06-24-2015, 03:20 PM
They did this for MIL when we went to EPCOT two weeks ago. She got into MK on Monday with no issue, but Tuesday at EPCOT had an issue with it. They just snapped her picture & she had no issues the rest of the week.