PDA

View Full Version : Reservations - which would you cancel

Harkleroad
06-04-2015, 04:24 PM
I made our reservations for our Thanksgiving trip. We are on the dining plan and I have two reservations over our credits. Based on several recommendations I plan to pay for my California Grill meal OOP and use my two credits for another meal for my husband and I. That leaves me with one meal not covered. We have some favorites included, but several new ones. If you had to choose one to cancel, which would it be? I have to decide if we should just pay out of pocket for one or cancel. I don't want to hold a reservation that someone could potentially use. Thanks for your help :)

Mickey's Backyard BBQ (new)
California Grill (new)
Ohana (husband's favorite)
Chef MIckey's (haven't been in years)
Cape May Breakfast (new)
Akershus Dinner (new)
Tutto Italia (husband's other favorite)
Be Our Guest Dinner (once)

HiHoKermitTheFrogHere
06-04-2015, 05:05 PM
From everything I have read and heard, Ohana has gone downhill. I understand that many items have been eliminated or changed for the worse. I'd cancel that one. We used to eat there every trip but have stopped going. I know you say it is your husband's favorite, but is it his favorite based on dining there recently, or based on memories of dining there several years ago and earlier? If the latter, then he might be disappointed.

I noticed you have Mickey's Backyard BBQ on your list. In all of our trips, we have never been there. We are trying it for the first time during our trip next March - April. For a change of pace, we took our kids to DL over Thanksgiving last year and had dinner at Big Thunder Ranch. It was really good! Mickey's Backyard BBQ looks more or less the same, so we are going to give it a try.

faline
06-04-2015, 05:11 PM
Personally, I'd probably cancel Mickey's barbecue or the Cape May breakfast but that is just based on my dining preferences and not on the quality of either of these experiences.

Basket Mommy
06-04-2015, 07:17 PM
Depending on which resort you're staying at, I might cancel Cape May Breakfast. If you're staying at Boardwalk or Beach Club, keep it, because it's convenient. If you have to take a bus to a park and then another bus from a park to the hotel, then skip it. It's standard breakfast fare. The characters are Goofy, Donald & Minnie, but you can find them elsewhere.

I've only been to Chef Mickey's once, and it was on my older two kids' first trip to WDW in 2002. They were 3.5 and 1 at the time. I *HATED* it. It's loud and just seemed so chaotic to me. We went for breakfast, so maybe it's quieter at dinner. I've never tried to make another reservation there, not even when we have stayed at Bay Lake Tower.

If you can try to get a lunch at Be Our Guest, it might be worth cancelling dinner. The dinner menu isn't everyone's taste (though my family of 6 loved it, I read a lot of comments about it being too out of the norm for others). My kids love lunch there just as much, and it's cheaper.

Another thought: when I have done the dining plan in the past, I have tried to avoid using it on buffets. I feel like i get my money's worth at restaurants where I can order an entree and separate dessert. But that's just me.

Melanie
06-04-2015, 07:24 PM
Ohana, if it's for dinner.

andypooh
06-04-2015, 07:29 PM
Ohana, if it's for dinner.

Has Ohana dropped off that much? I know they have eliminated some stuff. We went last year and noticed that. We are planning on going for dinner in a few weeks

Melanie
06-04-2015, 07:38 PM
Has Ohana dropped off that much? I know they have eliminated some stuff. We went last year and noticed that. We are planning on going for dinner in a few weeks

I have heard it's gone downhill some, but I've never gotten the appeal in the first place. Now breakfast is a different story. One of my favorites on property.

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-04-2015, 09:08 PM
I would cancel Mickey's BBQ, and you could add another 1 credit ADR in its place. I just don't think it is worth the 2-credit price. :)

Harkleroad
06-04-2015, 09:38 PM
Thanks! I can't believe that so many have lost interest in Ohana. Over the years I have had to work to get that reservation. We were there last Sept. and it was good. I don't care for the new thing they replaced the salad with though and I missed the chicken from the skewers. I chose Mickey's BBQ to give us something for the afternoon. It is a MVMMP night and none of the other parks have late hours, so I thought we could try it and check out the stables, hayride, etc. Chef Mickey's was my husband's least favorite years ago because it was loud and chaotic, and we haven't been since. My boys are 9 and 6 and like buffets where they can choose their own food though. We are staying onsite, but have our own car so traveling to different places isn't an issue. If I can't convince my husband to drop Ohana then Cape May or Chef Mickey's will probably be one to go. Thanks for your suggestions.

DizneyRox
06-04-2015, 10:27 PM
Agree on Ohana. I never 'got' it myself. Breakfast has the same runny eggs and soggy bacon as everywhere else on property. Dinner was just meh...

Chef Mickey is loud, its on my been there done that list...

I've never been disappointed at Fort Wilderness. Been meaning to give the BBQ a try...

azcavalier
06-04-2015, 10:52 PM
Of those? Chef Mickey's. The atmosphere is fun, but the food's just not that good.

We still love 'Ohana, which others on here have panned. We have never been for breakfast, so I can't speak to that. But if it's for dinner, we still like it a lot.

tjstrike
06-05-2015, 03:48 AM
If you have 2 boys I would drop the Akershus, food is horrible and they probably wouldn't be interested in meeting the princesses. My :twocents:

Tinkerbella16
06-05-2015, 05:20 AM
If Chef Mickeys is for dinner, I'd cancel that! Breakfast is great but dinner is just awful!

Akershus dinner, I'd switch to breakfast. It is EXCELLENT for breakfast! But that is just my opinion.

I'd cancel Mickeys Backyard BBQ!

AndrewJackson
06-05-2015, 05:53 AM
I would cancel the Backyard Barbeque as well. They have characters, but it is the exact same menu at Trails End Buffet - same kitchen and all.

However, I'm pretty sure beer and wine are included in the price. :marg::beer:

VWL Mom
06-05-2015, 05:58 AM
I don't care for the new thing they replaced the salad with though and I missed the chicken from the skewers.

We ate there Saturday, the salad is back as is the chicken. :thumbsup:

andypooh
06-05-2015, 08:26 AM
Salad is back. That is awesome!!

Butters
06-05-2015, 09:03 AM
I would cancel Chef Mickey's it' was a huge disappointment for us, after hearing so much about it, the food was just ok, and the atmosphere was nothing to write home about.

I agree Ohana has slipped some, but it's still a fun unique experience.

Cinderelley
06-05-2015, 09:54 AM
Unless your kids are big character fans, I would drop the BBQ. Hoop Dee Doo or Whispering Canyon Cafe would be great alternatives that would allow you to be close enough to check all of that stuff out. If I remember correctly, Whispering Canyon Cafe is one credit.

I was pretty underwhelmed with Chef Mickey's also. We went for breakfast one year, and I have no desire to return.

Ms. Mode
06-05-2015, 12:51 PM
If you have 2 boys I would drop the Akershus, food is horrible and they probably wouldn't be interested in meeting the princesses. My :twocents:

I agree with this, the food is :sick:

However, I think I would use the DDP for Cali Grill as it's $$$$$ :blush:

#1donaldfan
06-05-2015, 02:27 PM
I'd drop Chef Mickey's.....Ohana's breakfast has been great the last couple of times we tried it. The dinner was just ok, but Chef M. is too crazy to enjoy anymore. That's for our taste tho !! :thumbsup: