PDA

View Full Version : First time with a 1 year old

PirateLover
05-26-2015, 07:56 PM
DH and I have been to WDW countless times, but are in the midst of planning our first trip with our little princess. :princess:
We will be celebrating her first birthday (and my 30th, but I'm no longer the center of attention:secret:). Obviously, we know our whole touring process will change to revolve around the little one and follow her pace.
What are some of your biggest tips for a trip with baby?
Was there anything that you didn't plan for that came up by surprise?
Tips for flying?
Did you rent a stroller or bring your own? What are the pros and cons to both?:mickey:

LovinWDW
05-26-2015, 09:39 PM
We always brought our own stroller for several reasons. Baby and parents are familiar with it and you know it's clean just to name a few. Plenty of fluids due to the Florida heat means plenty of diapers in the diaper bag. It's a totally different vacation! Enjoy!

IloveJack
05-26-2015, 11:19 PM
I think taking your own stroller is a great idea, because the rental ones do not recline, so that means no naps in the park. My biggest tip to anyone taking a one year old into the park is to pack an extra change of clothes in a Ziploc bag. It's a very good chance that you'll need to change them at some point during the day, and the Ziploc bag gives you something to put wet or so of clothes in. Also make sure to take pictures of her reaction to things, instead of only the posed pictures. My favorite pictures from my second child's first birthday trip are of watching her watch the parade.

IloveJack
05-26-2015, 11:21 PM
Also, regarding rental vs your own stroller, you can't rent them outside the parks. So if you're resort hopping, seeing DTD, or even just taking a walk at your resort, you won't have a stroller, unless you take your own.

PirateLover
05-27-2015, 04:07 AM
We always brought our own stroller for several reasons. Baby and parents are familiar with it and you know it's clean just to name a few.
good point

I think taking your own stroller is a great idea, because the rental ones do not recline, so that means no naps in the park. My biggest tip to anyone taking a one year old into the park is to pack an extra change of clothes in a Ziploc bag.

If we were to rent one, I don't think we'd do the Disney one at her age due to our need for it outside of the parks as you mentioned. We'd probably use a 3rd party rental like Strollers & groceries so we could have it with us at all times. We do the ziploc baggie outfit in her normal diaper bag and it has already come in handy. I definitely recommend that to anyone!

cspenc28
05-27-2015, 06:32 AM
We took our 1 year old this past September into October. We rented a stroller from an outside vendor, and it was perfect. I wasn't lugging his stroller through the airport, and chance the airline messing it up. We got our son his own seat on the plane, and took his car seat, he slept the whole flight because he usually falls asleep immediately in his car seat. We were renting a car, so we needed the car seat.
Take lots of snacks, specifically the kind you know she likes, and take more than you thought you would need. My son loves goldfish crackers, we went through so many.
Take lots of breaks, and depending on what time of year, enjoy things in air condition. We like a table service each day, it gave us all a chance to regroup, and relax.
Our son naps anywhere, so he took naps while we were walking around the parks, my husband and I took those times to take turns riding rides he was too small for.
Have fun, take lots of pictures, and remember (unless this is a once in a lifetime trip), that you will be back, so don't worry about not getting to do everything.

MrPeetrie
05-27-2015, 08:19 AM
We took our DD when she was 17 months old. Critics said she was too young to remember, but my DW and I will NEVER forget how big her eyes got when she saw things she liked. Her excited leg kicks; her pointing and saying, "Mm Mouse" when she saw Mickey. It was an amazing trip. You'll appreciate Disney in a whole new way and I'm excited for you.

My daughter handled flying very well, but we brought a portable DVD player with her favorite movie (at the time,) "Finding Nemo." No issues.

Make sure you have plenty of fluids for your child. Sometimes they get so excited, they lose their appetites, so keep them hydrated.

We brought our own stroller, because she was familiar with it and we could use it to carry plenty of things, like diaper bags, drinks, snacks, toys.

Go at your child's pace. Don't push to stay on schedule. You are the best judge of your child. If you think they need a nap, let them take it and adjust your schedule.

Be prepared to see the same attraction multiple times! My DD Loved Carousel of Progress, so we rode that four times in one trip.

Be prepared to have an amazing vacation. Seeing Disney through their eyes is truly Magical. Enjoy!!!

minnie04
05-27-2015, 11:05 AM
If your coming any time soon, plan on light clothes and lots of water breaks. It is only May and we are in the 90's outside. Also remember to bring or buy here a fan:fan: that attaches to the stroller. They come in handy for the little one when they are sleeping. And this always catches my eye when I see little ones in strollers. MAKE SURE (and I’m sure you will) to have sunscreen on the babies legs. I have seen little ones with pale white skin and the sun beaming on them all day. I know they probably put some on in the morning, but make sure to keep it coming all day.I always feel so bad when I see the little ones pass by with rosie red cheeks and sunburn setting in. The sun is so strong for their skin. Hats and even sunglasses if she will wear them are great to bring as well. OH and if you can bring one of those new towels that stay cooler when you wet them. Just to cool her down in the stroller. :mickey:

And as someone already mentioned take lots of pictures of her reactions to everything. When you look back later it priceless!!

Figment104
05-27-2015, 12:21 PM
My biggest tip is to ship a box of stuff to your resort ahead of time, with all the big bulky items, like diapers, snacks, purees, puffs, etc so it's not taking up room in your luggage. Plus that way you have a box at your disposal to ship things home in like souvenirs ;) We also shipped things directly from Amazon this last time since we have a prime membership. The only downside is that they ended up shipping the items in multiple boxes instead of one big box, but the WL seemed to be ok with this.

We took DS's stroller with us, but made sure it was our lightweight, easy to collapse stroller. We have the Chicco liteway and I can't say enough good things about it. It like an umbrella stroller, but has a full recline which was great for napping on the go, and the price point is really pretty good on it. We liked having it available to us at the airport while we were waiting for the plane and then just gate checked it as we were boarding. We did get a bag to put the stroller in to help keep it clean while it was in the plane hold. I just bought it off Amazon and it is a big bright red bag, so makes it easy to spot when getting off the plane. This worked great for us. Speaking of flying, we also made sure to purchase DS his own seat, and for our first few times flying we took his car seat, even if we weren't going to have a car. He was much more comfortable in it, and usually fell right asleep, or at least slept for part of the trip.

Like others have said, depending on when you go, really make sure to push the fluids, which also means a lot of diapers. DS is normally really good about drinking, but before I knew it he was starting to get a bit dehydrated on our first trip.

Something to keep in mind is that most of the hotels only have a pack n play for LO's to sleep in. Some of the DVC locations may have full cribs, but so far we haven't been able to get one. Our first trip DS slept in the pack n play, and he did ok, not great, but ok. So for the next trip I did some research and actually ordered a full size crib. This worked so much better and fit in our room at the WL great! Check out the places that rent strollers for full size crib options. Those places are also great for any other odds and ends that you may need for your LO that you don't want to take down or ship down.

Just remember to have a great time, and take lots of pictures! :mickey:

dreamcatcher
05-27-2015, 12:57 PM
All very good advice. We had a problem with the rental strollers from
Disney. Two times they were stolen from the stroller parking area in spite
of our name on them and a huge orange bandana on the one. Disney will
replace them but it's a nuisance to go back to the front of the park each time.
After that we brought our own and no problems. It was great in the airport while
waiting to board and handy in the parks. We used Garden Grocer so the diapers
and baby supplies were in our room when we arrived. Plenty of snacks kept them
entertained & hydrated (grapes were the personal favorite). A little fan on
the stroller was a huge help. One other suggestion. We hit a few rain storms
& came out of Philharmagic to a very wet stroller. After that, a poncho over it
kept the rain off. We took afternoon breaks for pool & nap. A nap in a bed put
DS in a better mod than a quick nap in the stroller. But he loved so many things
and it was a delight to watch his reaction to everything.

PirateLover
05-27-2015, 04:50 PM
Excellent tips everyone!!!! Please keep them coming. A few of you have definitely hit on some things I hadn't thought of. It can be hard to plan because her needs at 5 1/2 months are going to be very different than her needs at 1 year, and obviously this is our first so we don't know quite what to expect. I can't believe I forgot to mention it in the original post, but we are going in December. It's a long trip and a bit crazy... we are starting at Pop for a 5 days, then meeting family in Universal for a 3 days, then coming back to WDW to stay at Contemporary for 4 more days. The transport of "stuff" from resort to resort is my biggest worry. Right now, we are only planning to rent a car for the middle travel days.

AgentC
05-27-2015, 06:21 PM
Both of my children visited had their first visit at around 6 months. 1 was actually a good age and some in way an easier to take them.

Some of the positives

At 1 they may not understand what everything really is but they respond to colors, characters, lights etc. Everything is very new and exciting and stimulating to them. It is tremendous as a parent to see that excitement even though they will not remember it (which leads to the bonus tip- pictures, pictures, pictures :D ) My kids especially loved the night time parades at this age.

They are portable and not going to try to runaway like a 2-4 year old might.

They are not going to have an opinion on what to do and most (not all but most) children haven't developed many fears at that age. My children happily went on all the dark rides at that age while at 3 I could not get my son on Peter Pan.

Characters make a big deal out of them leading to hopefully more memorable pictures.

Negatives or things to take into consideration

As many have said you have to get used to doing things at the babies pace- feeding time, naps, and general crankiness can all affect your schedule. As a couple you may have gone on rides all day long. As a parent, a successful day might only have 2-4 rides and that's okay.

Somethings you think your baby won't like everything you expected. For example Mickey's PhilharMagic had great music and visuals but it is also very loud. Many younger children are extra sensitive to the loud noises. I always tried to sit toward the end of a row so I could leave if I had too.

Random Thoughts

If it is warm enough, make sure you leave time for the pool. Always one of my kids favorites and we have our own!

Baby Centers, Baby Centers, Baby Centers. How I miss the Baby Centers. They have one at every park. All have changing tables, water to mix formula, emergency baby supplies, nursing rooms, rocking chairs , high chairs and small table and chairs for feeding and usually a tv. They are a great way to take a break without leaving the park.

Don't over plan. Just let the day go how it goes.

Try to take a resort break during the day.

Strollers

At this point I've done them all- my full size, my umbrella, rental company strollers, Disney strollers and the dreaded double stroller.

My preference for park use at younger age is a larger stroller with lots of storage, cup holders and full recliner and one that fold up easy. I know many people like the convenience of the umbrella strollers but at this age I found them harder to wheel (those smaller wheels love to get stuck in the trolly track) and less comfortable for my kids.

At the beginning I would bring my larger stroller with me but rental prices are so reasonable, I started using the rental companies. There are a few major ones. They all carry top of the line strollers with lots of room. They deliver to your resort and they will pick up from your resort. Some even add a rain guard option.

And my most important (and cliched) advise , just enjoy it.

ANG
05-27-2015, 08:06 PM
Use the baby centers! They are so awesome. Huge soft changing tables that are clean Ed after each use

PirateLover
05-28-2015, 01:15 PM
Great advice, Cindy! Thank you .

Somethings you think your baby won't like everything you expected. For example Mickey's PhilharMagic had great music and visuals but it is also very loud. Many younger children are extra sensitive to the loud noises. I always tried to sit toward the end of a row so I could leave if I had too.

Thank you for reminding me of this question. Loud noises- Should we even bother with fireworks? I've heard of people using noise cancelling headphones with babies so they could enjoy the lights. Anyone have experience with this? We are actually visiting family in DC for 4th of July so this issue is something I really need to consider.

Baby Centers, Baby Centers, Baby Centers. How I miss the Baby Centers. They have one at every park. All have changing tables, water to mix formula, emergency baby supplies, nursing rooms, rocking chairs , high chairs and small table and chairs for feeding and usually a tv. They are a great way to take a break without leaving the park.

Use the baby centers! They are so awesome. Huge soft changing tables that are clean Ed after each use
One of my best friends raves about the baby centers, so we will be sue to avail ourselves of them. Thanks!

AgentC
05-28-2015, 01:30 PM
Great advice, Cindy! Thank you .
Thank you for reminding me of this question. Loud noises- Should we even bother with fireworks? I've heard of people using noise cancelling headphones with babies so they could enjoy the lights. Anyone have experience with this? We are actually visiting family in DC for 4th of July so this issue is something I really need to consider.

I tried headphone when they were toddlers but not as a baby. For both of my kids, I found fireworks at a normal distance were fine and if they were a little loud i could cover their ears. So we were able to do Wishes without a problem.

Close fireworks such as Illimunations were horrible for both of mine. Until mine were both about 4 or 5, we needed to make sure we were into Future World before they started.

Of course you might be lucky and have it not be a problem at all for your daughter. :)

Hammer
05-28-2015, 02:52 PM
While I do not have kids, plenty of my friends do and they have mentioned tips and tricks they have used.

1) Most of them used their regular stroller because it is familiar to them among a lot of unfamiliar things and it is a godsend getting through Philadelphia international Airport. You can gate check it and it will be waiting for you when you get off.
2) Getting a regular seat for her on the plane and placing her in her car seat is something most of my friends did as well as my parents when we traveled with my sister many years ago. It will feel like a regular car ride to her.
3) Even though she will only be 1, you may want to prepare her for the costume characters. As you take her to the Philadelphia Zoo often, she should be comfortable with real animals. Maybe take her to Sesame Place and see how she does with Big Bird, Cookie Monster, and company.
4) You may want to rent a car for the whole trip. It will allow you to go and pick up things quickly if you go through it faster than expected and you won’t have to pay the prices of the hotel gift shops.
5) Schedule at least 1 night for just you and your husband to go out alone. As you are taking a longer trip, maybe 2 nights are in order. Don’t deprive yourself of “Mommy/Daddy time” (one of my friends calls it that) as it is good to have time as a couple while on vacation.

MNDisney Dad
06-10-2015, 04:22 PM
For fireworks viewing, if the noise is a concern, you can always head across Seven Seas Lagoon and watch from the beach at the Poly. They pipe in music for the show and you may also catch the Water Pageant Parade on Seven Seas if you arrive early enough.

Terra
06-10-2015, 07:55 PM
You've already gotten wonderful advice. Not much more to add really :)
The one thing I found for me personally was I loved having my baby carrier [I had an Ergo]. I just used a cinch sac for diapers/wipes/extra set of cloths [and a bottle/formula for my first son. Nursed my second].
I liked being more hands free and it was easier for naps. I could kind of keep going/walking while they slept :)

Have a great time. Most of all, take lots of pictures!! Those are the best memories.

Goes4FastPass
06-12-2015, 01:06 PM
and there is no stroller on the planet that is a perfect substitute for a baby's bed.

So many times I have a seen adults absolutely I want what I want determined to get to every attraction while they push an infant in a stroller around a Florida summer day.

MrPeetrie
06-16-2015, 07:47 AM
AgentC is spot on about loud noises. On DD's first trip to Walt Disney World, she was about 17 months old. InterCOT held a private event lagoon side at Epcot for the fireworks. The viewing area was amazing. I had been looking forward to this one event the most. As soon as the first "BANG" went off (and if you've seen Illuminations you know which explosion,) she started crying and carrying on. We had to leave almost as soon as it started.

honeybear
06-17-2015, 11:27 AM
I didn't read all the post so please excuse any repeats. I personally like to bring my own stroller because my DD is comfortable in it and it reclines. make sure you get a cheap Poncho from Walmart to drape over stroller when you go into rides/shows. We went into HOP it was hot and sunny, came out to a drenched stroller. We did a Walmart run on the day of arrival for in room snacks and things. I am not paying to ship items from NY! But that is just me.

Have lots of fun!:mickey: