PDA

View Full Version : Ride Survival strategy

DisneyMomx2
05-26-2015, 02:33 PM
I made my DH a deal that I would FINALLY go on TOT and RR with him this trip. I am not a fan (to put it lightly) of any thrill rides. My idea of a thrill ride is flying "high" over London on Peter Pan's Flight. Anyway, does anyone have any tips on how to survive these rides with the least amount of trauma to my system? i.e. eyes closed? ears plugged? xanax taken? LOL

TIA!

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
05-26-2015, 03:06 PM
OH shoot, in order to be even remotely thinking of boarding those rides - I'd have to have a couple dozen xanax on board!!

Good luck.... :sick::sick::ack:

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-26-2015, 04:06 PM
I agree with you ... I'm NEVER going on either of those.

If you're really OK with trying them out, keep your eyes open ... for the "more exciting rides" I've tried, it is always easier to see what is happening.

Pirate Granny
05-26-2015, 04:37 PM
I found RnR easier to do, being in the front...actually the very front...after the quick take off its actually a nice ride, as you are pulling the train. Keep your eyes open and focus in front of you.... I found the ride much more stress when I was in the back of the train. I won't go ToT as my childhood fear was an elevator falling, so no way will I ever do that one... I have to stay focused on EE when the train goes backwards.

BriarRose0708
05-26-2015, 04:52 PM
Make sure you put it as part of the deal that your DH buys you a treat after each ride! That would motivate me - whether it's a Mickey Bar, Margarita or a new Alex & Ani bracelet;)

joonyer
05-26-2015, 05:41 PM
Jewelry is an excellent motivational tool! :D

Zippy 1
05-26-2015, 06:50 PM
I took Dramamine(sp) before I rode TOT. We were seated near the back and I did ok. I don't want to do it again but I survived. I am deathly afraid of heights. For RRC I have not had any problems. It goes to fast to be scared or feel sick. Have ridden this one every time we go

Christine
05-26-2015, 06:58 PM
It took a lot of liquid courage but I finally rode RnRC!
It would probably take illegal substances to get me on ToT so that ain't happening!
Good luck!!!!

John
05-26-2015, 07:36 PM
Whatever you do... Don't do them back to back. Take some time or even do them on different days...

AndrewJackson
05-27-2015, 06:54 AM
Do RnRC first. To me, it's easier on the system. If that one causes significant issues, break off the deal and don't do ToT.

awaggett
05-27-2015, 12:32 PM
Agree with previous poster--do not do back to back! I finally rode RnR last year after avoiding it forever. I do not like going upside down! I really enjoyed it, but wish I had taken my earrings out--my head went side to side in the restraint and it would have been easier without the earrings.

For ToT, I'll ride it, but I don't love it. I hold on to the handles with both hands and usually close my eyes. Last month I kept them open on the drops and it was pretty cool to see the park.

Good luck.

Priority Four
05-27-2015, 12:49 PM
On our Honeymoon in 1988, I talked my new bride into riding SM. For the last 27 years, every time I tell her "Trust me, it's not that bad.", I get "Remember SM? No. I do not trust you." I would be lucky to get her on the Barnstormer.

My son is anti thrill ride as well. His wife and I got him on SM a few trips back and now we can't keep him off it.

For your husband's sake, I hope your experience is the latter and not the former.

RBrooksC
05-27-2015, 12:50 PM
Both of those rides are extremely safe. ToT is such that I haven't held on since the first time I rode it. It is smooth as silk when riding it and, to be honest, I wish it would go longer. It would be much worse if it was a free fall ride. Being that the ascent and decent are very controlled makes it one of the easier "thrill rides" to enjoy.

#1donaldfan
05-27-2015, 02:10 PM
First off you have to stop over-thinking them. They are tame tame tame compared to true thrill rides. RnR is a very smooth, fun ride with great music. I don't feel as though closing your eyes will help, do not over think it, just do it. ToT is not bad either, but it's not a favorite of mine for some reason. I do it but really don't care to, at least till it's over and the adrenaline rushes in. Bottom line, if you overthink it you will end up not doing it.

azcavalier
05-27-2015, 02:36 PM
My wife does not like heights or roller coasters. RnRC is her *favorite* ride. It's that good.

My strategy is to keep my head back on takeoff and the first loop (which is immediate), and the once i'm through the loop I keep my head off of the headrest and just try to stay loose. If I don't, it is a little jarring, and i'll get a headache. That's why I never ride Space Mountain. Too rough. RnRC isn't nearly that bad, but there are a couple of places where it can jar or whip you pretty good. So, stay loose.

Regarding ToT, yeah...I hate the dropping sensation. But besides that I love that ride. I love the story, the theming, the technology, everything. It's fantastic. My survival strategy is to just hold on for dear life.

drhama
05-27-2015, 03:29 PM
I have taken my mom who is 76 and totally blind to wdw several times now. The first trip, dumbo was her big thril ride. Not sure what happened but on our second trip, she wanted to ride everything. Tot is now her favorite ride. I told her about the inversion on rrc. After the ride was done her response was "is that it?". She said she couldn't tell we were upside down. I think a great deal of the anxiety factor is just in our heads. Not sure if that is helpful or not. It a good story that I wouldn't have believed if I wasn't there. Mom has since gone skydiving twice and can't wait to do it again.

DisneyMomx2
05-28-2015, 10:04 AM
Thanks so much everyone! I am dreading the falls on ToT and the takeoff on RnRC. You have all given me some great pep talks. I keep telling myself that once I do these I can say I have been on every ride in WDW and I'm trying to look at it as a challenge instead of with dread. LOL!

Polynesian Dweller
05-28-2015, 11:03 AM
Thanks so much everyone! I am dreading the falls on ToT and the takeoff on RnRC. You have all given me some great pep talks. I keep telling myself that once I do these I can say I have been on every ride in WDW and I'm trying to look at it as a challenge instead of with dread. LOL!

Don't dread the falls on TOT. They aren't falls but controlled pull up and push down, never a free fall. And they are gentle. I typically don't like drop rides so didn't do it the first couple of trips. Then I was coaxed on and loved it. It's now one of my must do rides.

One tip on RnRc that we were given by an experienced rider is before launch sit upright against the seat with you head upright touching against the head rest. That way you don't lurch back against the seat on launch and just experience the push. Again rather gentle but still exhilarating that way.

You'll love them both.

Stu29573
05-28-2015, 12:55 PM
I have never ridden ToT because I can't stand drops (I know, I know, it's not a "drop," I get it) however, I have ridden RnRC twice. Both times I tried to not worry and just go with it, since the anticipation just drives me nuts. Both times I hated it. (I think I get extra points for trying it twice!) I found the sudden acceleration to be just as bad as a drop, actually a bit worse, since with a drop the train has to clear the hill before it picks up speed, and is therefore smoother. Ironically enough, I think if the ride was longer I might have enjoyed it more. There was no point in the ride where you could relax a bit and say "Hey, this is kinda cool" like there is in other coasters I have ridden. Its pretty much LAUNCH, SWISH SWISH SWISH DONE! Totally not worth it to me. Still, others seem to like it, so there ya go...

Gregandmel
05-31-2015, 10:06 AM
good advice not to do them back to back if you are already nervous about doing either of them. Tower of Terror is gentle as other posters have said - and Rock n Roller Coaster is so **** fast right off the get-go - so be fair warned about that.

Best of luck to you and glad you are wanting to try them out! They are two of our family favorites (but my family are all thrill ride junkies…) :thumbsup:

Goofy4TheWorld
06-02-2015, 12:28 PM
I have found "screaming like a little girl" to be very effective for me when riding TOT. Oh, and afterword I hug the first tree I come to on Sunset Blvd.

ANG
06-06-2015, 07:50 PM
My adrenaline is pumping right before RRC takes off. Just watching other riders load and the countdown makes my tummy jump. But once it takes off, I LOVE IT. I find myself smiling thru the entire ride. Tot isn't scary to me but just the action of up and down so much makes me very sick.

Seems silly to remind you but don't eat before these rides. And yeah, as PPs have stated, space them out.