PDA

View Full Version : Canceling our October trip. No dining availability.

ycccc
05-23-2015, 04:14 PM
For the first time in 18 years we are not going to DW. Last week I booked at the Contemporary for the end of October (a week that is blacked out for the free dining btw). Today I went on to make dining reservations and to my surprise there is no availability, literally. NO Royal Table, No Tony's, No Sci Fi Diner, No Chef Mickeys, etc, etc. The only availability were random places at 3:00 in the afternoon, I have never experienced this, ever. Dining at Disney is big deal for us, so are opting to spend our money at the beach. I did call and they told me that just the way it is now. Very disappointing,

Strmchsr
05-23-2015, 04:45 PM
I wonder if there was a glitch in the system earlier. That happens rather often, unfortunately. Out of curiosity I just looked and found several openings during lunch and diner for Tony's and Sci Fi during the last week of October. CRT and Chef Mickey's I'm not surprised about. Those have been extremely difficult to get for a while. You have to get luck right at 180 days out for those, but just scanning through availability during the last week I see several good restaurants with openings. Perhaps you should look again.

faline
05-23-2015, 04:48 PM
Sorry to hear you couldn't get into your favorite restaurants. I've found that things do tend to open up later. In the interim, you could also try some other restaurants - who knows, you might find a new favorite or two!!

John
05-23-2015, 04:55 PM
Hate to say it but this is a trend - during the busy times, finding dining reservations are nearly impossible - plus, this is the wrath the Disney Dining Plan has sewn. Everyone can now eat anywhere without thought for real cost - it's all fixed.

So, where in the past, you might have never booked at say Monsignor Paul because you thought it was too high end, you now just think, it's only X credits and book away.

When everything is special, nothing is special (it's a theme we talk about on the podcasts).

I really feel for you. It's got to be incredibly disappointing to have to cancel your vacation. You might want to look at staying on site at Universal and giving it a shot (we just had an incredible vacation there recently and are going to go back for more).

That being said, we're heading to Hilton Head next week - so a beach vacation sounds good too... the sounds of the waves and some cool beverages... :marg::beer:

Again, sorry - but I DO hope you have a wonderful vacation wherever you go!

JanetMegan
05-23-2015, 05:35 PM
I'm so sorry you are having issues, esp when you aren't even trying for free dining. We are coming Oct 25th (for free dining) and I had to make mine at 6am exactly 180 days...that being said we decided later to arrive one day early for a room only night and having trouble finding an ADR. We're just going to drink and snack I think.

CAS
05-23-2015, 06:00 PM
That's why we changed our ressies to Sept. Not that it's terribly better however we have a couple favs but most are new ventures for us. We're even trying the buffet at Ft Wilderness Campground. Without the dinner reservation there we'd never even think of visiting that area. We're looking forward this time to trying lots of new locations. Sorry yours aren't working out. :(

catasaid
05-23-2015, 06:31 PM
Dining at Disney is also important to us...so we too booked for the end of October because the Food & Wine Festival is going on during that time. I initially made dining reservations at the 180 day mark, but decided to cancel those reservations and wait to see what special dining experiences will be offered for the F&W festival. Even if I don't do any of the special lunch/dinner experiences, there will be so much great food at the food booths that I don't believe we will feel the need to dine elsewhere.

EeyoresBestFriend
05-23-2015, 09:56 PM
I'm not as dedicated and actually took a look for some dinners at about my 176 day point and was surprised to see NOTHING available. Only Hoop de Doo and Fantasmic - for about 5 days!! I thought "Stitch in the system" so I logged out and tried again a few days later. There were a lot of spots available when I went back the next time. And I am there during Free Dining timeslot in November. Egads . . .

So sorry your experience was frustrating. We can relate as we are about the Dining too. Hope that the Magic finds you where ever you go to relax. :mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
05-23-2015, 10:17 PM
Instead of cancelling over dining, go eat off site.. Expand your horizons.. There is life outside Disney... Oh and the food is better... :)

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-23-2015, 10:22 PM
I'm sorry your trip planning is so frustrating.

I find it especially hard, since you're never quite sure if it is a Disney website issue (which are all too common) or an issue where people are "holding" onto ADR's "in case", or if everything is indeed booked.

We were up at 6am (well, really 5:30am) to book for our trip, and due to "systems glitches" couldn't get things sorted for a few days.

Unfortunately, it seems that Disney planning needs to be a full-time job, to get everything you'd like all sorted.

I hope your plans, whatever you decide work out, and that you have a super vacation.

Nascfan
05-23-2015, 10:42 PM
I just randomly chose Tuesday of the last week of October and looked at lunchtime, normal lunchtime sometime around noon. Of the restaurants this person is claiming they couldn't get, Chef Mickey's, Sci Fi, and Tony's are all available. Many, many other good choices too, all right around that same time. Of course Royal Table isn't, but that's never available unless 180 out.

manutd1
05-24-2015, 12:10 AM
I just randomly chose Tuesday of the last week of October and looked at lunchtime, normal lunchtime sometime around noon. Of the restaurants this person is claiming they couldn't get, Chef Mickey's, Sci Fi, and Tony's are all available. Many, many other good choices too, all right around that same time. Of course Royal Table isn't, but that's never available unless 180 out.
Out of curiosity....I did as you did. You are right..There are a lot of slots to choose from. So, I have to think either your feelings are correct or there was a glitch.
Either way, I wouldn't cancel over that. We always go in Early May every year or so. Its kinda slow then, so dining ressies is never an issue. I haven't tried during any other time. And, yes..we always book 180 days out..so that alone solves any issues.
Hope the OP chooses to go. Or retry....to book

NJGIRL
05-24-2015, 12:37 AM
Sorry to see that happen to you. Taking a WDW vacation has become very complicated. Enjoy yourself where ever you decide to go. :thumbsup:

missymouseworld
05-24-2015, 08:21 AM
That can be upsetting. But sometimes it could be a chance to try some different places that might surprise you and be great. We had this happen when trying to book something for Easter morning during Spring Break this year, and decided on staying at our resort and found a place that was delicious and had great service.

I also found trying to book at an off time helped a lot. Since the parks were very busy during Spring Break we opted for a later lunch than the normal 12/1pm .... we booked for 2/3pm before they switched to dinner service, and it worked out well.

SueQ
05-24-2015, 08:28 AM
Sorry to hear you are cancelling. We are going the last week in October and were able to book the ones we wanted. Plus trying some new ones.

Hammer
05-24-2015, 09:06 AM
I'm sorry you had problems with booking dining. How large is your party? That could play a factor in finding ADRs. That said, Chef Mickey's and Cinderella's Royal Table have been a hard reservation to get for many years, even before there was a Dining Plan.

I am going the first week of November, which is commonly known as Jersey week as NJ schools are closed for the teacher conventions, and I am seeing plenty of restaurants available for our party of 2. This is also a week where free dining isn't offered, as there are heavier crowds that week.

Cinderelley
05-24-2015, 09:44 AM
I hope you have a wonderful vacation. You'll be with loved ones no matter where you go, and that is the important part.

1DisneyNut
05-24-2015, 01:08 PM
Instead of cancelling over dining, go eat off site.. Expand your horizons.. There is life outside Disney... Oh and the food is better... :)

This is what we have been doing for about 5 years now for sit down nicer dinners. We haven't eaten at a table service restaurant in WDW for dinner in years. We despise being tied to ADR's.

We pick a beach and drive over one evening and find a nice seafood restaurant. We go hit places on International Drive. We go over to City Walk at Universal and eat at their restaurants. We have had some really good meals and experiences over the past several years.

DizneyFreak2002
05-24-2015, 03:34 PM
This is what we have been doing for about 5 years now for sit down nicer dinners. We haven't eaten at a table service restaurant in WDW for dinner in years. We despise being tied to ADR's.

We pick a beach and drive over one evening and find a nice seafood restaurant. We go hit places on International Drive. We go over to City Walk at Universal and eat at their restaurants. We have had some really good meals and experiences over the past several years.
CityWalk restaurants: 30 days out, no stressing 6 months in advance.. and even better, use Open Tables!!!!

There are so many better options off property than Disney sit down service...

Melanie
05-24-2015, 06:22 PM

Here's the thing. I think everyone is aware that there is dining off-site. Whether it's better is a matter of opinion. We know it's yours, as you've told us 2 times already in this thread alone. Unlike you and a few others Bobby, folks here still love and find magic in dining AT WDW. It's part of the experience, whether it be character/location/etc. themed, and an important part of their vacation. I totally get that!

With that said, I do think there was some kind of glitch here when the OP originally looked for reservations. While it may be true that some of the more popular restaurants were booked, there are many other wonderful places to choose from. I looked at that last week in October, and there were plenty of choices. I really encourage folks to look outside those big 5 or 6 'popular' restaurants and try some new things. You might find some new favorites! :blush:

elorac
05-25-2015, 01:38 AM
CityWalk restaurants: 30 days out, no stressing 6 months in advance.. and even better, use Open Tables!!!!

I'm interested to hear some of your recommended off-site restaurants...

1DisneyNut
05-25-2015, 08:40 AM
I'm interested to hear some of your recommended off-site restaurants...

At citywalk we have really enjoyed Margaritaville and Bubba Gump's. We always hit those in whatever tourist town we are in that has them and have been to quite a few of their locations. They have been great every time.

On International drive one of our favorites is Miller's Ale House. The food is always pretty good but the main draw is the happy hour drink/appetizer specials and their wide selection of draft beers. We have been here a number of times. Where else can you get a really good grilled Mahi Mahi for under $16?

We also go to BB Kings in the Pointe Orlando shopping center on International Drive close to the convention center. This is one of our favorites. You have to try the pile of Nachos with jalapeno's and Memphis BBQ. Plus they have great live music if you enjoy that sort of thing.

We haven't made it there yet but everybody highly recommends The Oceanaire at The Pointe. It is next on our list.

Outside of that we have eaten at excellent seafood restaurants in many of the major beaches that are within 1 to 1/2 hour drive from Orlando. Places like Daytona, Cocoa Cocoa beach, Tampa Bay, Clearwater beach, St. Petersburg, Melbourne Beach, etc. I can't remember the names of the restaurants off the top of my head since we have only eaten at them once. Typically what I do is I look at reviews on Yelp and get a short list of possible places and then when we get to the beach we ask a couple of locals what "The Seafood Restaurant" in the area is and it is nearly always one of the ones on my list and that is the one we hit.

It may be hard for those that don't ever venture off WDW property to believe but these are quite often the highlights and most memorable parts of our trips.

DNS
05-25-2015, 11:36 AM
I have a horrible time every year with this, but am usually able to get most eventually. It's just having to spend so much time trying is very annoying.
I hope you write/email to Disney and let them know this.

Cinderelley
05-25-2015, 04:50 PM
Thank you 1DisneyNut. I am planning on getting a 13 week contract in Florida next year, so it will be fun to try these restaurants.

azcavalier
05-26-2015, 09:31 AM
I really encourage folks to look outside those big 5 or 6 'popular' restaurants and try some new things. You might find some new favorites! :blush:

THIS. There are about 75....yes 75....table service restaurants on WDW properties. Branch out! Go eat at Boardwalk! Go try Olivia's at Old Key West! Venture over to the Swan or Dolphin and try one of those out! There are so many places to try. Our last trip (which, granted, was only 3.5 days) we didn't eat at a single place we had been before. We tried Narcoosee's, The Plaza, Trattoria al Forno, and the Fork and Screen at DTD. Had a great time!

Cinderelley
05-26-2015, 10:51 AM
I generally try something new each trip, but I can understand the OP's point of view. There are some restaurants that my kids ask for each time we go, and it would be a huge disappointment for all of us if we couldn't eat there. Family traditions are important.

BriarRose0708
05-26-2015, 11:55 AM
I can identify with this disappointment. Food is often times the best part of my day at any time of the year, so when on vacation (and especially at WDW) it's as important as the other experiences, whether it's lounging on the beach or enjoying attractions. I am also a creature of habit, and I have my usual favorites at WDW and it is rather a let down to look forward to returning to a spot I love I haven't been to in a few years only to find at 180 days out it's not available. Now, I would not cancel my vacation over that.

However, it's within your right to do so and I won't pass judgement on your decision. It's already cancelled, right? If you haven't cancelled yet, or thinking about rebooking during another busy time, I would encourage you to think about some other options on property-

Have you thought about visiting the lounges that serve food? These are typically located at deluxe resorts and are usually adjacent to the signature restaurants. While a limited menu and mostly appetizers, they come from the same kitchen and are most times the same dish you'd get at the restaurant. For example, you can get some 'Ohana and Kona Cafe favorites at Tambu Lounge in the Poly, and I think some of the same items at Artist Pointe are available at the lounge in Wilderness Lodge. No reservations needed, and they tend to be quieter than many sit-down places.

While I love my "regular stops" I challenge myself to try at least one new table service restaurant for breakfast and one new one for lunch/dinner each trip. Next trip if I can't get breakfast at Kona (my favorite and a very popular one with crowds) I will book lunch or dinner there instead and try something new. I'll couch that meal with breakfast at a favorite place so I still get a sense of what's familiar to me.

It's really unfortunate that WDW vacations are such a production nowadays. I've found that if you can be moderately flexible with plans, even when you plan as far in advance as possible, you can make it work. You're obviously very frequent visitors so don't let this deter you - if you can't get something this time around you can always try again next trip. I always try to leave something undone so I have a reason to go back!

Hammer
05-26-2015, 12:28 PM
THIS. There are about 75....yes 75....table service restaurants on WDW properties. Branch out! Go eat at Boardwalk! Go try Olivia's at Old Key West! Venture over to the Swan or Dolphin and try one of those out! There are so many places to try. Our last trip (which, granted, was only 3.5 days) we didn't eat at a single place we had been before. We tried Narcoosee's, The Plaza, Trattoria al Forno, and the Fork and Screen at DTD. Had a great time!

This is how we are as well. The only thing which is repeated each trip is departure day breakfast at the Grand Floridian Cafe and we don't usually book that until the day before. Narcoossee's a family favorite, but we make it a point of going there every other year to keep it fresh. There was a thread a while back (I'll try to find it) asking of what restaurants did you still want to try. When I started to make my list, I was amazed at how many places I had left to try, and we are always trying new things every trip! Now with the new restaurants in Disney Springs, which I can honestly say interest me more than most of the offerings at CityWalk, the list will only get longer.

We almost never book ADRs until a couple of weeks out, but we almost never want to eat at one of the 5 or 6 uber popular places. If we do, those are booked early, but it is just those 1 or 2 places. We are usually a party of 2 or at most 3. Your party size make a big difference, as well as when you are going. Even without Free Dining, Fall is much busier now, with the Halloween Party and Food and Wine.

GrumpySue
05-26-2015, 01:40 PM
It has to be a computer glitch, I am going the same week and got all my dining with no problem, including many hard to get restaurants like O'Hana, California Grill and Le Cellier. I even got a table for six at the newly opened Boathouse in Downtown Disney which suprised me.

I think all in all the booking is much better now that people cannot double book and clog up all the reservations and also having to put a credit card down helps with people booking willy nilly.

I would try again or call directly.

TheVBs
05-28-2015, 08:35 AM
I have to say that this isn't something I would cancel over. I understand we all have different ideas of what makes our WDW trip ideal. We love having great meals there and try to get a mix of old favorites and new places. But, as someone pointed out there are so many options! If you haven't cancelled yet, I would bet you still have a good chance of booking some great, fun meals.

Travelfanatic1
05-30-2015, 01:41 PM
If you don't mind the noise, you can probably get a advanced reservations at T-Rex. Disney does not own or operate this restaurant so you can probably just call (407)828-8739 and get reservations.

We tried for weeks to get reservations on-line for T-Rex and then I read an article on-line stating that Disney does not own this restaurant, so I called and was given several times to choose from when Disney had 3:30 for every and any day.

Hope this helps.
Travelfanatic1

twinboyz
06-02-2015, 12:34 PM
We just got back from a week at DW.. but I will tell you we booked our ressies at 180 days out and got everything we wanted this time--including BOG.

This is not always the case.. it's hit or miss. There are so many families headed to Disney and the word is out to book at 180 days out. Free dining doesn't help much with that.

We like the whole experience, so for most trips we do not rent a car and use Disney transportation the entire stay. Eating off site doesn't work for us.

So sorry you feel the need to cancel your trip.. that's a bummer. Maybe consider eating off-site like so many have said? Sounds like I'm missing a 'Whole New World' out there.:blush:

One trip we made all our ressies at the 180 days mark and then added my son last minute(about 60 days b4 our trip). I just kept checking everyday and was lucky enough to revise all my ressies since we were flexible with the time of the reservation. It can happen if you keep checking.

Good luck with whatever you decide.. and have a great vacation wherever you decide to go!:thumbsup:

AvonleaCF
06-02-2015, 03:12 PM
When I booked my ADRs a few weeks ago, I found if I selected "dinner" not much came up. But I selected "7pm," nearly all restaurants had times. So I think it's a glitch. Try specific times rather than "lunch, dinner, breakfast" and you may find more.