PDA

View Full Version : Interesting note on DVCmember website

Hammer
05-15-2015, 04:14 PM
I was just looking at availability using the Resort availability tool and I saw this note on the page:

Due to limited parking availability, we highly recommend all Disney Resort hotel Guests take advantage of our complimentary transportation options. For Guests arriving in their own vehicles, please be advised that only valet parking may be available. For Guests traveling to Epcot, please utilize the Epcot Guest Parking Lot.

This is a recent addition, as I didn't see this when I looked at the site a couple weeks ago.

faline
05-15-2015, 04:32 PM
No additional information beyond that?? No time frame? And it applies to all resorts??

Hammer
05-15-2015, 04:48 PM
No additional information beyond that?? No time frame? And it applies to all resorts??

That's the whole message, Linda. Very vague and strange. I am going to try and call member services and see if they can provide some details.

Mrs Bus Driver
05-15-2015, 05:09 PM
Where on the site did you see this? I can't find it.:confused:

VWL Mom
05-15-2015, 09:16 PM
Where on the site did you see this? I can't find it.:confused:

It comes up when you use the resort availability tool.

Due to the fact that people use BW/BWV and BLT lots to go to the parks I can see parking becoming problem. They really need to take control of their lots. Last time we stayed at BLT I saw quite a few people park and then walk over to MK, Just wrong IMO. Now that they've done away with the parking placards it's probably gotten worse.

John
05-17-2015, 02:02 PM
Maybe they should downsize the valet lots... That seems just silly to say you wouldn't have a spot and would have to pay to valet. Wondering if they will eventually charge for all parking. Pretty common in the industry now.

Hammer
05-18-2015, 01:41 PM
Maybe they should downsize the valet lots... That seems just silly to say you wouldn't have a spot and would have to pay to valet. Wondering if they will eventually charge for all parking. Pretty common in the industry now.

Or maybe they should go back to giving DVC members free valet parking. Show your card to the valet and it should also be noted when your band is swiped. I have only been a DVC member since 2008, but that was a perk when I joined. Not sure when it went away, though.

John
05-18-2015, 03:55 PM
Or maybe they should go back to giving DVC members free valet parking. Show your card to the valet and it should also be noted when your band is swiped. I have only been a DVC member since 2008, but that was a perk when I joined. Not sure when it went away, though.

Free valet is included with tables in wonderland....

Hammer
05-18-2015, 04:23 PM
Free valet is included with tables in wonderland....

I know, as I have Tables in Wonderland as well (which is discounted for DVC) but I was speaking of the perk they used to give to DVC members of free valet if you were staying there (such as WLV, BCV, BWV). The tables in Wonderland free valet is only good if you are eating there and you have to show the receipt. They have started to get much stricter about that as they checked last month to make sure it was from that day when we ate breakfast at Grand Floridian Cafe, as the cashier was telling us there have been people lately who would tried to get free valet with month old dining receipts :shake:

Ed
05-19-2015, 02:31 PM
They eliminated the free valet for DVC members about three years ago. The only way it's free now is if you are handicapped and have either a handicap hangtag or license plates. That option is open to everyone, not just DVC members.

I took a look at the message on dvcmember.com ; I don't exactly understand what they're saying. It looked to me that they're saying if you arrive at your resort via your personal vehicle, you may have no option but to use valet. But then they throw in the part about Epcot, which totally confuses me. :shrug:

Priority Four
05-19-2015, 05:39 PM
Very poorly written message. How is it that there is no parking available? More people driving to Orlando? People parking there that do not belong? Anybody know the daily rate for valet parking?

VWL Mom
05-19-2015, 07:11 PM
Anybody know the daily rate for valet parking?

The current valet rate is $20.00 per day.

Priority Four
05-20-2015, 02:02 PM
I can tell you that someone is out of their mind if I am expected to pay 140 bucks a week for parking

Priority Four
05-20-2015, 02:40 PM
I just called ask what the deal is. The vacation advisor I spoke with assured me this has to do with parking at the parks not at the resorts. Basically, hotel guests are encouraged not to drive to the parks in their own vehicles. That makes the EPCOT portion of the message make a little more sense. More parking available at EPCOT?

Hammer
05-20-2015, 03:22 PM
I just called ask what the deal is. The vacation advisor I spoke with assured me this has to do with parking at the parks not at the resorts. Basically, hotel guests are encouraged not to drive to the parks in their own vehicles. That makes the EPCOT portion of the message make a little more sense. More parking available at EPCOT?

First, thanks for calling Member Services! That makes sense for the first and 3rd sentence, but how does this apply to " For Guests arriving in their own vehicles, please be advised that only valet parking may be available." Valet parking isn't available at the parks (I think it is still offered at DTD). That leads me to believe this refers to parking at the resort.

Priority Four
05-20-2015, 03:30 PM
First, thanks for calling Member Services! That makes sense for the first and 3rd sentence, but how does this apply to " For Guests arriving in their own vehicles, please be advised that only valet parking may be available." Valet parking isn't available at the parks (I think it is still offered at DTD). That leads me to believe this refers to parking at the resort.

Agreed. I am not very familiar with parking at the parks. She may have been very wrong, but I have her name and the date and time I called. If it comes up, I will parlay that into free parking.

lindique
05-20-2015, 04:11 PM
I believe that this is in reference to parking at the EPCOT resorts. I saw a conversation about it on another board. Evidently, parking is extremely difficult at the Boardwalk Villas especially. Some people have arrived there and couldn't find parking. I am assuming that they don't want people going to EPCOT or the Studios parking at the Boardwalk all day.

Priority Four
05-20-2015, 04:13 PM
I just chatted with a vacation adviser who seems to have a handle on this. The message is intended to discourage members from parking at BWV, BCV, and the CR and walking to the parks as has been suggested here. He indicated that this was more of a problem during Food and Wine, Garden, and Christmas. EPCOT is mentioned specifically because parking at BCV is the biggest problem. He told me they were trying to get "them" to clarify the statement and that he would pass along my suggestion that if a member with a reservation was forced into valet that it should be complimentary.

VWL Mom
05-20-2015, 04:23 PM
I just chatted with a vacation adviser who seems to have a handle on this. The message is intended to discourage members from parking at BWV, BCV, and the CR and walking to the parks as has been suggested here. He indicated that this was more of a problem during Food and Wine, Garden, and Christmas. EPCOT is mentioned specifically because parking at BCV is the biggest problem. He told me they were trying to get "them" to clarify the statement and that he would pass along my suggestion that if a member with a reservation was forced into valet that it should be complimentary.

That was my original thought. As I mentioned the number of people parking at BLT and walking over amazed me. Easiest solution was to put gates on the lots and code the bands for entry. If you're coming for a meal, use the valet system TIW uses, 3 hours or less is free.

MariMouse
05-21-2015, 12:31 PM
We are members at BWV and have driven a private vehicle the last few years. It is often hard to find a spot to park there, but we also notice tons of valet spots. Do they really need that many? Hope this gets cleared up!

GrumpySue
05-26-2015, 01:52 PM
We were staying at the Yacht Club last year for two weeks and many times had to park over at the Beach Club because our lot was full. It was ridiculous, the Yacht Club is not cheap and people staying there should at least be guaranteed a parking space.

VWL Mom
08-13-2015, 07:01 AM
Just a little update on this for anyone traveling in the next few weeks, I've been reading that they will be repaving the lots. Currently the BWV lot near the tennis courts is being used as a construction staging area so it is closed. Paving which was supposed to start earlier this summer has been rescheduled to start (according to a sign at the lot) this week. Guests of the resort have said parking is tough but no one has been forced to valet yet.

TinkerbellT421
08-13-2015, 08:32 AM
Just a little update on this for anyone traveling in the next few weeks, I've been reading that they will be repaving the lots. Currently the BWV lot near the tennis courts is being used as a construction staging area so it is closed. Paving which was supposed to start earlier this summer has been rescheduled to start (according to a sign at the lot) this week. Guests of the resort have said parking is tough but no one has been forced to valet yet.

I was wondering if this might be the case! That makes a lot more sense. Having been staying at BWV for many years; and every year seeing the parking lot, it is pretty beat up. A lot of patching, cracks, etc., I even said something last year to my DBF when we were walking through that they needed to do a parking lot over haul.

Maleficent's Dad
08-14-2015, 09:55 AM
We are members at BWV and have driven a private vehicle the last few years. It is often hard to find a spot to park there, but we also notice tons of valet spots. Do they really need that many? Hope this gets cleared up!
This is so true!
Valet lot is deserted, while the self parking is so limited...:mad: