PDA

View Full Version : BEWARE: Rental Car

susie & perla's mom
05-11-2015, 05:24 PM
We came back home from our magical vacation and used our DVC membership for the very first time a month ago and now here comes our nightmare. We rented a car at MCO airport for a full week. It took us close to two hours to fall in line just to fill out paper works and obtain the keys. By the time we got the car, we were all frustrated, very anxious to take off, hungry and angry! Please don't let these feelings take over you because that was our biggest mistake. We did not thoroughly inspect the car before we left the garage. The lady at the checkout gate told us that it was already inspected and there were some dents and scratches, but they were minor according to her, it should be ok.....when we returned the car, there is this crack on the front bumper ( by the bottom). So, they took a note of that one and of course after exactly a month after our trip, they called about the damage. And to make it worst, we declined the rental car insurance. I honestly feel like we are being scammed here, but there's no way to prove it. The only thing we are guilty of is not inspecting the car before leaving their lot. So next time you rent a car....inspect, inspect, inspect and take a lot of pictures!

faline
05-11-2015, 05:39 PM
What rental car company were you using?

susie & perla's mom
05-11-2015, 05:51 PM
Not sure if I'm allowed to disclose a company's name, but is Dollar Rental Cars.:confused:

disneymom15
05-11-2015, 06:09 PM
Doesn't your car insurance cover rental cars? Ours does, maybe check with them.

DizneyFreak2002
05-11-2015, 06:41 PM
I've used Dollar over at the Wyndham Hotel on Hotel Plaza Boulevard... Never had an issue with them... In fact, when I was stuck for a car in 2013, the guy behind the desk went above and beyond for me to make sure I got a car right then and there despite me being down on the list... I'll use Dollar again if need be...

Did you speak to a manager? Call your insurance company as well... I don't think you are being scammed... Sadly, you are probably paying for someone's incompetence over at the MCO Dollar...

susie & perla's mom
05-11-2015, 06:49 PM
I've used Dollar over at the Wyndham Hotel on Hotel Plaza Boulevard... Never had an issue with them... In fact, when I was stuck for a car in 2013, the guy behind the desk went above and beyond for me to make sure I got a car right then and there despite me being down on the list... I'll use Dollar again if need be...

Did you speak to a manager? Call your insurance company as well... I don't think you are being scammed... Sadly, you are probably paying for someone's incompetence over at the MCO Dollar...

I should have blamed that incompetent person instead of blaming the company. I chose them because I thought they are reputable. I did call our insurance and they said we are covered, although we have to pay for our deductible. I received another call from Dollar today and they said that our case is still under investigation.

1DisneyNut
05-12-2015, 07:04 AM
I would fight it to the end before I would file it on my insurance. You would have a claim showing on your insurance, which also shows in the insurance database sort of like a credit file and could impact your future rates.

I would quit dancing with them and just straight tell them it was already there, I didn't damage the vehicle and if necessary I will refer it to my attorney. If you don't have an attorney, pay the consultation fee if necessary and have him give them a call or send them a letter. It should end there as it doesn't cost much to repair a front bumper cover and a few hours of their attorneys time will cost them more.

They have someone who does all their repairs and regardless of what they say, they can get it fixed for under $500 and probably more like $350. I have stuff like that fixed all the time for in the $300 range.

magicofdisney
05-12-2015, 10:08 AM
Additionally, check the coverage for the credit card you used. Some of my credit cards cover, or help cover, these type expenses.

I can only imagine how frustrating this is. My husband uses rentals all the time and when he gets a beat up car, it always concerns me.

faline
05-12-2015, 10:20 AM
Yes, do check your credit card. Rental car companies often charge, not only for the damages incurred, but also for "loss of use" for the time the vehicle is unavailable to them to rent again.

It is also possible that the damage occurred while the car was in your possession - perhaps by someone who backed into you while the car was parked.

DizneyFreak2002
05-12-2015, 12:37 PM
I should have blamed that incompetent person instead of blaming the company. I chose them because I thought they are reputable. I did call our insurance and they said we are covered, although we have to pay for our deductible. I received another call from Dollar today and they said that our case is still under investigation.
Hope it all works out for you... I like Dollar and would use them again, and in fact, I am planning on using them again... Just trying to find out if I get a larger discount with Dollar or Hertz though my membership with the realtor associations...

It stinks when a bad taste is left in a consumer's mouth because of an agent's incompetence...

susie & perla's mom
05-13-2015, 05:03 PM
Yesterday I got a voicemail from them giving us a case number and also saying our case is closed. My husband and I were thinking - closed meaning end of discussion, we don't need to pay or closed, no more arguments, we are responsible for the damage??? I didn't get much sleep last night because by the time I got the voicemail their office was closed. I called them this morning to verify what was that all about and they informed me that our dispute was valid, we have zero balance. I finally woke up from this nightmare. So, the moral lesson to this is: before you leave the parking lot of your rental car, INSPECT, INSPECT, INSPECT. And thank you so much for all your kind suggestions.

faline
05-13-2015, 05:14 PM
Yesterday I got a voicemail from them giving us a case number and also saying our case is closed. My husband and I were thinking - closed meaning end of discussion, we don't need to pay or closed, no more arguments, we are responsible for the damage??? I didn't get much sleep last night because by the time I got the voicemail their office was closed. I called them this morning to verify what was that all about and they informed me that our dispute was valid, we have zero balance. I finally woke up from this nightmare. So, the moral lesson to this is: before you leave the parking lot of your rental car, INSPECT, INSPECT, INSPECT. And thank you so much for all your kind suggestions.

I'm very glad this had a satisfactory conclusion for you!!

deedee73
05-13-2015, 05:35 PM
So happy this all worked out for you.

MNNHFLTX
05-13-2015, 05:38 PM
So glad it all worked out for you! I am paranoid myself about inspecting rental cars since traveling abroad as rental agencies in some countries are notorious for trying to nail customers for the smallest nick or dent, usually with a huge deductible (car insurance from most states do not cover rentals in other countries, so you have to get coverage from the agency or through your credit card company). We not only mark any damage at pick-up on the form but we also bring it to the attention of the attendant and have him initial our notes.

NJGIRL
05-18-2015, 01:49 PM
Good advice...everyone should always look over the car before leaving the lot

PirateLover
05-21-2015, 10:37 AM
Glad it worked out for you, and it is a good lesson for people to look out for. This has happened to two of my friends, and maybe it's just a coincidence, but both of them had the issue with Dollar.

manutd1
05-23-2015, 09:18 PM
We always use Dollar when we goto L.A. for a Disneyland trip. Never any issues. And, they are the cheapest.
I do however buy their insurance. Its only 50.00 for the week..and if I am at fault...I don't have to have MY regular insurance to be part of the claim...So, I kinda like that.
I haven't used dollar in Orlando. We usually fly and use Magical E.
But, I agree....check the car out before hand.